themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

One that you English ladies and gents are all too familiar with, is of course, the venerable Mr Rolf Harris. He isn't getting any younger...

How does he look in terms of health these days?

My question was, and still is; will they tan his hide when he's dead, Fred? Clyde is dying to know.

• Like 1

Latest on Meldrum:

Surgeon warns situation critical for Meldrum

Updated December 16, 2011 09:57:10

The brain surgeon who operated on Ian 'Molly' Meldrum last night has warned the next 24 hours will be critical as the Australian music icon fights for his life in a Melbourne hospital.

Meldrum is in a critical condition in a coma after an operation to relieve swelling on his brain last night.

He was rushed to the Alfred Hospital yesterday evening after falling about three metres while putting up Christmas decorations in the spa area of his Richmond home.

This morning, neurosurgeon Jeffrey Rosenfeld stressed the star remained in a critical condition but said he was encouraged that the pressure on his brain had stabilised.

Professor Rosenfeld said Meldrum had been in a "deep coma" ever since the accident, which had left him with a "severe brain injury".

He said a brain scan would be carried later this morning to determine if any more surgery would be required.

"We're really concerned for his life. It's a life and death matter," he told reporters outside the hospital.

"The next 24 hours is critical.

"I'm giving you a very early report but we are encouraged with the way he's going so far."

If he really is in severe condition, he'll die before the 31st rolls around. If he makes it to the 31st, then he's not worth putting on any pool.

If he really is in severe condition, he'll die before the 31st rolls around. If he makes it to the 31st, then he's not worth putting on any pool.

Agreed.

Meldrum survived the night.

Here is the latest - http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/optimism-up-after-molly-survives-the-night-20111217-1ozh6.html.

Agreed.

I think I'll reserve my opinion on the matter until the 31st rolls around, he could linger into the new year.

P.S. has anyone heard any definitive news on Australian pro-boxer Shannon Taylor? - some sources say his condition has improved and others say he's dead. :scratchhead: not sure whats going on...

Meldrum survived the night.

Here is the latest - http://www.smh.com.a...1217-1ozh6.html.

Agreed.

I think I'll reserve my opinion on the matter until the 31st rolls around, he could linger into the new year.

P.S. has anyone heard any definitive news on Australian pro-boxer Shannon Taylor? - some sources say his condition has improved and others say he's dead. :scratchhead: not sure whats going on...

From what I can tell, he's still in critical condition, but he no longer needs life support and has regained consciousness at least once. It seems the worst of his ordeal is over.

Righto ta for that Angry - probably best to consider someone with a bit more notoriety anyway.

Molly Update:

Ian 'Molly' Meldrum's brother says the music industry identity has opened his eyes and his family is optimistic he will recover from his serious injuries.

The 65-year-old has been in an induced coma with a fractured skull and chest injuries after he fell three metres while putting up Christmas decorations at his Richmond home last Thursday.

His brother, Brian Meldrum, says the latest CAT scan shows the bruising to the brain is starting to ease.

He says doctors have begun to reduce Meldrum's sedation, but it will be some time before he is awake and alert.

"In terms of him being brought to a point of him being able to talk to us and communicate with us, I can't imagine that will happen any time soon, and when I say soon, certainly not in the next couple of days."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-20/molly-meldrum-shows-signs-of-recovery/3739398

Guest Cousin Oliver

Molly Meldrum. Even if he does survive he'll be a vegetable for the rest of his life. Quite frankly will anyone notice the difference?

"Broadcaster Derryn Hinch has ended his five-month court-imposed silence by using his Twitter account.

On the stroke of midnight (AEDT), Hinch hit the Twitterverse with a tweet from his account, @humanheadline. "He's back. New Liver. New Life. Same old #Hinch. Fresh attack on bad law. And the magistrate was wrong. Life in this old bastard yet," he said."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-21/hinch-ends-five-months-silence-with-tweet/3741214

Latest:

Music industry identity Molly Meldrum is undergoing surgery today as he continues to recover from a fall at his Melbourne home a week ago.

The 65-year-old remains in a coma at Alfred Hospital, but is having surgery on his broken collarbone and ribs.

His condition is listed as serious but stable.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-22/molly-meldrum-undergoing-surgery/3743792

Bruce Ruxton, the former Australian president of the Victorian Returned and Services league, has died after a battle with dementia at the age of 85.

Good riddance.

• Like 1

Bruce Ruxton, the former Australian president of the Victorian Returned and Services league, has died after a battle with dementia at the age of 85.

Good riddance.

I dunno Davy...I thought he was an alright sort of bloke...cantankerous, but alright. :old:

No, couldn't stand the guy for his racism, pro-veteran views, ultra-conservatism or anything else he believed in. The only reason he got so much national media attention even though he was only head of the Vic branch was because he was spouting such eccentric/controversial views that the journos just lapped it up.

We actually voted him "Worst Living Australian" in a class when I was at high school. I guess we can cross the word "Living" out of that now...

EDIT: Did you see the clip on ABC TV just now where he was physically pushing that black guy around? That was bad, even by his standard...

Maybe he wouldn't be so cranky if people stopped trying to CHANGE THE DAMN FLAG.

Edit: Whoo 100th post.

No, couldn't stand the guy for his racism, pro-veteran views, ultra-conservatism or anything else he believed in. The only reason he got so much national media attention even though he was only head of the Vic branch was because he was spouting such eccentric/controversial views that the journos just lapped it up.

We actually voted him "Worst Living Australian" in a class when I was at high school. I guess we can cross the word "Living" out of that now...

EDIT: Did you see the clip on ABC TV just now where he was physically pushing that black guy around? That was bad, even by his standard...

Whoa, okay I'll concede some of his behavior was uncalled for (and downright distasteful), but you don't have to agree with everything he did and said. I will disagree with you the pro-veteran point as an example - if it wasn't for Ruxton's influence in areas like aged care and nursing homes, a lot of family members of my grandparents generation would have gone without and suffered because of it. I believe that is at least one redeeming quality.

P.S. I would have thought your class would have gone for the likes of Ivan Milat or someone of that ilk instead.

From memory, I think we were talking about people with political influence (it was a history/Social Science-type class.) A year or two later and Hanson would probably have got it.

Anyway, merry Christmas to all Aussie deathlisters (and lurkers) out there!

From memory, I think we were talking about people with political influence (it was a history/Social Science-type class.) A year or two later and Hanson would probably have got it.

Anyway, merry Christmas to all Aussie deathlisters (and lurkers) out there!

Hanson would have been a good pick - can't wait till she is old/sick enough to be chosen.

You have a good one to Davy, :champagne:

Latest in the Molly Saga:

"Molly Meldrum is showing more signs of recovery, with the rock guru awake again and communicating after a head injury received in a recent fall.

His brother, Brian Meldrum, says the 65-year-old has has said a few words and is responding to commands from doctors.

While the words were "almost random" and not in response to any questions, they are providing great hope to the loved ones and fans wishing him a speedy and full recovery."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-26/molly-responding-to-commands/3747246

Almost random strings of words? Sounds like he is nearly back to normal, then.

Obviously not going to die now so this will be my last Molly Meldrum update:

Molly Meldrum's family says it is not known how long it will take for the 65-year-old to recover from his injuries received in a recent fall.

The rock guru fell off a ladder at his Melbourne home on December 15, fracturing his skull, puncturing a lung and breaking his collarbone and several ribs.

Meldrum had surgery for his chest injuries last week before being brought out of an induced coma.

He was taken off a ventilator at the weekend.

Brian Meldrum has told ABC Local Radio while his brother is making good progress, he is suffering from post-traumatic amnesia and doctors cannot predict how long his recovery will take.

"With the sedation levels at almost nil he is pretty much on his own, so to speak, and he is doing it OK," Mr Meldrum said.

"He is very agitated and confused because I am sure he doesn't know where he is and he doesn't know what has happened."

But Mr Meldrum says his brother has been responding to doctors' commands.

"He has spoken some words but they have no context," he said.

"They probably mean something to him but they don't mean much to the nurses or us, but just the fact that he is talking is fantastic."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-27/meldrum-suffering-amnesia-as-recovery-makes-slow-progress/3748588

Guest Guest

Hello from the UK.We still have an hour of crappy 2011 to go.Is 2012 any better so far?