harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Minimalists (and other classical composers/musicians)

The 'big four' minimalist composers are all edging towards their mid-70s. I wonder who'll be the first to reach the end of the drone?

LaMonte Young

Terry Riley

Steve Reich (in the afternoon)

Philip Glass

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel sure this can be turned into another of my posted-in-once-in-a-blue-moon backwater threads, maybe as a home for all things classical and avant-garde, just for Twelvetrees, NAP and myself.

One or two other interesting names to throw out there:

Pierre Boulez, angry young man of serialism (now old).

Milton Babbitt, even older serialist and theorist.

Estonia's finest, Arvo Pärt.

• Like 1

When I saw the title 'Minimalists', I immediately thought of this....

12625w_carlandre_equivalentviii.jpg

• Like 1

Whenever I hear the word minimalist I think of my ex-husband.

You do the math.

• Like 1

There's 119 too many to be minimalist. The artist is obviously flagrantly pretentious and overrated. He's probably French and a cockspanner too.

• Like 1

The 'big four' minimalist composers are all edging towards their mid-70s. I wonder who'll be the first to reach the end of the drone?

LaMonte Young

Terry Riley

Steve Reich (in the afternoon)

Philip Glass

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel sure this can be turned into another of my posted-in-once-in-a-blue-moon backwater threads, maybe as a home for all things classical and avant-garde, just for Twelvetrees, NAP and myself.

One or two other interesting names to throw out there:

Pierre Boulez, angry young man of serialism (now old).

Milton Babbitt, even older serialist and theorist.

Estonia's finest, Arvo Pärt.

A most excellent suggestion. Glass, Reich, Part and Boulez are all doing well at the moment, but there are others of similar vintage;

We all know about Elliott Carter, who made a sprightly century last December, but

Henri Dutilleux is 93

John Gardner is 92

Gyorgy Kurtag is 83

Hans Werner Henze is 82, as is John Joubert

Einojuhani Rautavaara is 81

Peter Sculthorpe is 80

All, save for Gardner, are still working. There are others, but It'd just get boring

However, MiB, Carl Andre - he of the bricks - is a mere 73

• Like 1

There's 119 too many to be minimalist. The artist is obviously flagrantly pretentious and overrated. He's probably French and a cockspanner too.

I had to count them too, with the same idea that there were too many bricks to be minimalistic. My 4 year-old did better the other day with an arrangement of just 4 house bricks.

• Like 1

What do you want it to be? One brick? :unsure:

Carl Andre is American BTW...

• Like 1

There, that's better...

Brick.jpg

Sorry about the nationality thing. He's obviously flagrantly pretentious and overrated, and seeing how s/he's USAn, that'd make 'em a cockwrench.

• Like 1

There, that's better...

Brick.jpg

Sorry about the nationality thing. He's obviously flagrantly pretentious and overrated, and seeing how s/he's USAn, that'd make 'em a cockwrench.

Call that minimalist? 10 (TEN) holes. Tsk, tsk.

redbrick.jpg

Thanks to this picture I learnt that bits of red brick are good for the digestive system of the pigeon.

• Like 1

I spent a portion of last summer (not a big portion) watching pigeons eat bits of brick. The bits of brick perform the same function - aiding digestion - as gastroliths in dinosaurs.

Would a single bit of grit from a brick be sufficient to pass muster as minimalist, or do we need to become molecular? Robert Pirsig wrote about this stuff in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, not a great book but quite good on reductionism.

• Like 1

I spent a portion of last summer (not a big portion) watching pigeons eat bits of brick. The bits of brick perform the same function - aiding digestion - as gastroliths in dinosaurs.

Would a single bit of grit from a brick be sufficient to pass muster as minimalist, or do we need to become molecular? Robert Pirsig wrote about this stuff in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, not a great book but quite good on reductionism.

Hmmm, this was supposed to be a modern-classical music thread. All that brick shenanigans is for Art or Philosophy. Or Sheds.

• Like 1

Any sign of Harrison Birtwistle dying soon?

I don't care if he's a minimalist or not.

I can't stand him or his music.

• Like 1

None whatsoever, I'm pleased to say. I'm off to see Harry's new music theatre piece 'The Corridor' in July. See you there.

• Like 1

I'm afraid bricks aren't molecular (= discrete entities, in the solid state held together by intermolecular forces i.e. everybodies favourite, Van der Waals). Bricks are made of clays/minerals so we'd have to go crystallite.

A geographer at uni used to say all maths is addition, mainly to wind somebody up but it never worked seeing as all geography is colouring in. I'm going to take that on board and say all arts boil down to science. Pigments, harmonics, bricks and pigeons. Science as they say in ancient Rome is knowledge and knowledge is power, mwah ha ha 1.gif (nabbed from honez)

• Like 1

None whatsoever, I'm pleased to say. I'm off to see Harry's new music theatre piece 'The Corridor' in July. See you there.

No you won't.

But do give him my worst.

The *** old ***.

• Like 1

I'm afraid bricks aren't molecular (= discrete entities, in the solid state held together by intermolecular forces i.e. everybodies favourite, Van der Waals). Bricks are made of clays/minerals so we'd have to go crystallite.

A geographer at uni used to say all maths is addition, mainly to wind somebody up but it never worked seeing as all geography is colouring in. I'm going to take that on board and say all arts boil down to science. Pigments, harmonics, bricks and pigeons. Science as they say in ancient Rome is knowledge and knowledge is power, mwah ha ha 1.gif (nabbed from honez)

Now now.

If you had delivered that post in the style of Ellie Crissell, even thick bastards like me would have understood it. :unsure:

• Like 1

Now now.

If you had delivered that post in the style of Ellie Crissell, even thick bastards like me would have understood it. :unsure:

Well I must be even thicker than you then, cos I don't know who Ellie Crissell is.

• Like 1

Now now.

Well I must be even thicker than you then, cos I don't know who Ellie Crissell is.

She was the bint that used to do Newsround.

Her sidekick was that limp dicked turd with glasses, cant remember the name.

If you Google her you will know who it is.

A vacuous, talentless turd crust who probably got jaw ache giving all those Beeb execs BJs to reach the dizzy heights of the Beebs flagship news programme.

Allegedly.

• Like 1

Now now.

If you had delivered that post in the style of Ellie Crissell, even thick bastards like me would have understood it. :blink:

She was the bint that used to do Newsround.

Her sidekick was that limp dicked turd with glasses, cant remember the name.

If you Google her you will know who it is.

A vacuous, talentless turd crust who probably got jaw ache giving all those Beeb execs BJs to reach the dizzy heights of the Beebs flagship news programme.

Allegedly.

Well unfortunately I'm so old that I only remember John Craven on Newsround.

There is an abundance of limp dicked turds on television. Starting with Michael f u cking Barrymore. Let's not go down that road. Especially since I've just got back from swimming.

• Like 1

Discrete entities in solid state? I've just passed one and I assure you it was molecular. :blink:

• Like 1

Composer, pianist and Schoenberg pupil Leon Kirchner has combined his final inverted hexachord, or summat.

By which qualification, Kirchner fails to qualify as a minimalist. Despite my innate distrust of Wikipedia, it does have a moderately decent description of minimalism . Kirchner was a minor composer whose legacy will probably be measured by his influence on John Adams

• Like 1

Composer, pianist and Schoenberg pupil Leon Kirchner has combined his final inverted hexachord, or summat.

By which qualification, Kirchner fails to qualify as a minimalist. Despite my innate distrust of Wikipedia, it does have a moderately decent description of minimalism . Kirchner was a minor composer whose legacy will probably be measured by his influence on John Adams

I didn’t claim he was a minimalist. In the original post, I suggested the thread be used for “all things classical”. Which you, a few posts later, thought an “excellent suggestion” and proceeded to name several other non-minimalist composers worthy of dead pool consideration. I’ll have the thread retitled if its lack of precision irks you.

So far, it’s been mostly full of bricks anyway.

• Like 1

I didn’t claim he was a minimalist. In the original post, I suggested the thread be used for “all things classical”. Which you, a few posts later, thought an “excellent suggestion” and proceeded to name several other non-minimalist composers worthy of dead pool consideration. I’ll have the thread retitled if its lack of precision irks you.

So far, it’s been mostly full of bricks anyway.

Now, now girls, handbags away :lol:

• Like 1