Sign in to follow this  
Estuarian Float

Est.1993's Half-year Deathpool

Re the 'obit' can we be clear on this.....is an 'obit' an obit or are we in DDP territory where the mere mention of the death in the publication/website/news stories counts for points?

The pool is open! PLEASE alert me if I left out any crucial info regarding rules or entry. You get 25 picks. Have fun!

Woohoo! *looking for my dartboard*

Dartboard? That's a bit posh! I've wasted a few hours building a new shead sheet on just this pool. My best 200 names drawn down from a thousand names all pushed and prodded for various factors that come into play. Then I look at the list, and low and behold it looks far too much like most of my other lists! I think another hour of work is needed yet, since I think the fame test weighting eliment needs turning down a bit!

Would 'famous for being famous' include the world's oldest mother?

I'm thinking yes, but I suppose she is famous in the world of science? :P

The scoring system suggest that "world's oldest" would be ok.

Re the 'obit' can we be clear on this.....is an 'obit' an obit or are we in DDP territory where the mere mention of the death in the publication/website/news stories counts for points?

Mentionings count for points, but Im only going to be looking for headlines or whole article obits.

Mentionings count for points, but Im only going to be looking for headlines or whole article obits.

Thanks

Team of 25 languishing in a Word document as we speak, two subs bubbling under and the distinct whiff of powder being kept dry wafting around MPFC Towers.

Will be filing the results in 10 days or so.

Right. I'm going to go ahead and put the old child-popper-outter on my team.

I have 4 entries so far. For everyone else, take your time if you'd like. You've still got 16 days before the game starts. If anyone would like to take a look at the pool's site and give me any suggestions for unique features, please do!

The pool is open! PLEASE alert me if I left out any crucial info regarding rules or entry. You get 25 picks. Have fun!

Woohoo! *looking for my dartboard*

Dartboard? That's a bit posh! I've wasted a few hours building a new shead sheet on just this pool. My best 200 names drawn down from a thousand names all pushed and prodded for various factors that come into play. Then I look at the list, and low and behold it looks far too much like most of my other lists! I think another hour of work is needed yet, since I think the fame test weighting eliment needs turning down a bit!

If I can't find the dartboard the names all go in a bowl and I let the cocker spaniels pull them out. First 25 names to be eaten by a cocker spaniel are on the list!

I'm very serious about this, you know.

Just a reminder! You have one week to submit your entries. I think I have six entries right now, and one person needs to replace their Manute, but they know who they are. And again, if there are any unique ideas or features you'd like to see in my deadpool, please suggest!

I had Manute too, be submitting the team at the end of the week when I've decided which sub to bring on.

Thats me upto date again - so expect another couple to die before the 1st July start date...

Reet, I'm in!

Me too. Team submitted this lunch time.

N.B. I think this thread needs re-naming and narrowing in on it's "Dust Pool" name.

Re the Dust Pool, it has the user friendly habit of NOT snagging on censorship software in a few offices I've visited of late. It also might prove more compelling than this year's lacklustre deathrace. Deathrace candidates carking now are looking at points around the 180 mark, with the totals dropping daily. With yours truly out front on 1045 pts and Paul the Postie still well shy of 900 pts in second there is a very real possibility of nobody hitting the necessary 2010. Making the 'sprint rather than a marathon' ethos of the whole thing somewhat laughable this year.

Est 1993 may have a more reliable winning formula here. Let battle commence, or summat.

I'm in too now with a "theme team" of sorts. I wanted to get back to some classic deadpooling, so I have only picked people that I have chosen in previous competitions... not a winning strategy I should think, but hopefully will make for a unique pick or two...

I was very close to doing a theme team - on the lines of the surname starting with either an A, B or C. I did a double take at my submission list and sort of said to myself that could be the basis of a theme team, but then I went... Computer says no!

Those I would have brought in would have been :-

Sid Caeser

Captain Beefheart

Malcolm Allison

Henry Cecil

Bob Barker (US "price is right")

Jack Bruce (cream)

Brigitte Bardot

Ian Brady

Pres. Asif Ali Zardari of Pakistan

David Crosby

Tony Coelho

Fidel Castro

Only time will tell if they would have been better than the crowd with names using the other letters.

NOTICE: 7 hours until deadline. 11 entries have been submitted as of now. Have fun!

And also, does anyone know of any other deadpools that start tomorrow? Or soon?

3 and a half hours left before deadline.

Here are the names of the teams entered so far. If you do not find your team name in this list, your entry has not been received.

1. 888-333

2. Captain Chorizo

3. CarolAnn's Cadaver Conspiracy

4. Deaf by Vuvuzela

5. Devon Death Trip

6. Footballing Fuckwits

7. Ghosts of Canadian Paul's Past

8. Never Came to Maryport

9. STAB in the DARK

10. The Unknown Man's Ghouls of Despair

11. Vaagheid

12. Windsor the Troll

C'mon......I love show and tell, me.

Abdul Baset Al-Megrahi

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Ronald Biggs

Osama bin Laden

Eugenie Blanchard – v old woman

Eunice Bowman – oldest UK resident

Fidel Castro

Kirk Douglas

Laurent Fignon

Paul Gascoigne

Billy Graham

Johannes Heesters

Dolores Hope

Kim Jong-Il

Esteban “Steve” Jordan

Mick Karn

Rajo Devi Lohan – world’s oldest mother

Paul Mason – FAT as fuck, former UK postman

Eunice Sanborn – oldest American

Ariel Sharon

Sargent Shriver

Lianne Smith – killed her kids in 2010, attempted suicide soon after

Norman Spinrad

Norman Wisdom

Diana Wynne Jones

Subs bench

Abe Vigoda

Elizabeth Taylor

URGENT!! Im listing the team rosters right now. Two of you picked Penny Marshall. I assume its the same one. Is it the journalist or the actress?

URGENT!! Im listing the team rosters right now. Two of you picked Penny Marshall. I assume its the same one. Is it the journalist or the actress?

I picked Penny Marshall the actress. I can't speak for the other person, but as she's supposed to be seriously ill with cancer (Penny, not my fellow Dust Pool participant), I'd make an educated guess that was who they were picking as well. Hope that helps.

I picked Penny Marshall the actress. I can't speak for the other person, but as she's supposed to be seriously ill with cancer (Penny, not my fellow Dust Pool participant), I'd make an educated guess that was who they were picking as well. Hope that helps.

Indeed, you are correct Sir. Penny Marshall the actress for me as well...

Anywho...

Deaf By Vuvuzela

Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi

Ronnie Biggs

Yao Defen

Elizabeth Edwards

Laurent Fignon

Anne Francis

Annette Funicello

Eydie Gorme

David Hart

Diana Wynne Jones

Mick Karn

Frank Kelly

George Kimball

Jack Kyle

Brian Lenihan

Stephen Lewis

Simon MacCorkindale

Nelson Mandela

Penny Marshall

Oscar Niemeyer

Sargent Shriver

Gloria Stuart

Elizabeth Taylor

Sir Norman Wisdom

Chris Woodhead

Sub:

Basil D'Oliveira

Lewis was a sub, replacing Manute Bol.

The roster is up. If theres anything wrong with yours, just let me know.

I really like the way your site views - allowing you to quickly note who the picked are without having to link through first - top marks.

Vasily Aleksanyan

Jose Alencar

Muhammad Ali

Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi

Richard Attenborough

Tariq Aziz

Philip Berg

Ronnie Biggs

Ray Bradbury

Sarah Brady

Pat Burns

Philip Carlo