Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Quantickgate

Here's an email I got from one of our picks a Mr. David Quantick (Tuesday 3rd August):

Hello

I don't mind, deeply, being on your page but it's offensive to Steven Well's family, widow and friends that he's on there. I'd very much like you to remove his name from the page.

David Quantick

Does he want me to remove the other 870 or so dead celebs in case we cause offence?

And of all fucking people, Steven Wells, the oh so iconoclastic journo too...

Not sure how to respond. Any suggestions?

Here'sa n email I got from one of our picks a Mr. David Quantick:

Hello

I don't mind, deeply, being on your page but it's offensive to Steven Well's family, widow and friends that he's on there. I'd very much like you to remove his name from the page.

David Quantick

Does he want me to remove the other 870 or so dead celebs in case we cause offence?

Unbelievable! The man who helped write Brass Eye getting hot under the collar about causing offence! Didn't he play a leading role in coming up with "

" It must be an imposter, surely?

I'd politely provide him with a link the the rules, inform him you cannot accede to his request but that you welcome all feedback, accuse him of causing offence to the family of Albert Camus, and then go on to ask him if he is related to any of the inbred, dribbling, dentally challenged, cross eyed, deranged fuckwits called Quantick who are so prevelant in Devon.

Hello

David Quantick

Unbelievable! The man who helped write Brass Eye getting hot under the collar about causing offence! Didn't he play a leading role in coming up with "

I'd politely provide him with a link the the rules, inform him you cannot accede to his request but that you welcome all feedback, accuse him of causing offence to the family of Albert Camus, and then go on to ask him if he is related to any of the inbred, dribbling, dentally challenged, cross eyed, deranged fuckwits called Quantick who are so prevelant in Devon.

Yes, I wonder if this 'David Quantick' is the real deal or just some knob trying it on...

It mystifies me... :)

Is anyone on here use Twitter? Maybe they can throw that across to him, see how he responds...

Hello

David Quantick

Yes, I wonder if this 'David Quantick' is the real deal or just some knob trying it on...

Is anyone on here use Twitter? Maybe they can throw that across to him, see how he responds...

According to his wikipedia entry that he probably authored himself, he's a third rate comedy hack with a big ego (reading between the lines).

It says:

On 3 April 2008, Word magazine was forced to apologise in court to Morrissey, over an article by Quantick that accused the singer of racism and hypocrisy.
So he's quite happy to dish shit on others. I wouldn't even grace his email with a polite "fuck off" in reply.

Coincidentally, without ever having heard of him before, I was reading a column by him in the Telegraph yesterday and wondering why they were printing such crap before I remembered it was August, then I logged on here and saw his name raised again.

Hello

David Quantick

If it is the real Quantick, he hasn't done a great job of spelling his best mate's name (assuming you cut and pasted it).

Well that's my 15 minutes of internet fame then

Real people are subjects of deadpools. When they're my friends it's unfunny. Perhaps students could shoot themselves instead. The end.

5 minutes ago via web

@Andy_Dutton quite.

7 minutes ago via web in reply to Andy_Dutton

@AlexanderVelky and now to block you, you arsehole.

7 minutes ago via web in reply to AlexanderVelky

@ichlugebullets Let me explain. My dead friend's name is being used to entertain scum. I hope it doesn't happen to your or your loved ones.

8 minutes ago via web in reply to ichlugebullets

@ichlugebullets I think there was a point to that. Also we weren't mocking the victims. You really are a dick.

11 minutes ago via web in reply to ichlugebullets

@ichlugebullets "hassle". Yeah, I bet Steven's family and friends fucking weep for the harrassment of internet dicks.

12 minutes ago via web in reply to ichlugebullets

w***er of the day. RT @ichlugebullets Can @quantick confirm that he's a humourless prick who hassles deadpool runners? http://bit.ly/bFld9o

15 minutes ago via web

@ichlugebullets You could go fuck yourself unless you can explain how my friend's death is full of "humour."

16 minutes ago via web in reply to ichlugebullets

Well that's my 15 minutes of internet fame then

Real people are subjects of deadpools. When they're my friends it's unfunny. Perhaps students could shoot themselves instead. The end.

5 minutes ago via web

@Andy_Dutton quite.

7 minutes ago via web in reply to Andy_Dutton

@AlexanderVelky and now to block you, you arsehole.

7 minutes ago via web in reply to AlexanderVelky

@ichlugebullets Let me explain. My dead friend's name is being used to entertain scum. I hope it doesn't happen to your or your loved ones.

8 minutes ago via web in reply to ichlugebullets

@ichlugebullets I think there was a point to that. Also we weren't mocking the victims. You really are a dick.

11 minutes ago via web in reply to ichlugebullets

@ichlugebullets "hassle". Yeah, I bet Steven's family and friends fucking weep for the harrassment of internet dicks.

12 minutes ago via web in reply to ichlugebullets

w***er of the day. RT @ichlugebullets Can @quantick confirm that he's a humourless prick who hassles deadpool runners? http://bit.ly/bFld9o

15 minutes ago via web

@ichlugebullets You could go fuck yourself unless you can explain how my friend's death is full of "humour."

16 minutes ago via web in reply to ichlugebullets

Good work Spade, we haven't had so many visitors (270+) since Phil Drabble caught his dick in a badger trap. But not a single rant so far - what happened to those halcyon Hughes/Hunter days...

I don't think we'll get ranters, they're all preferring to stay in their cubbyholes and moan there. Case in point:

http://twitter.com/hand_of_Ike

@sharongooner I'm literally speechless after having a look at that, I live in quite a fluffy world - these people scare me

5 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone in reply to sharongooner

@quantick is that their hobby, waiting for celebs to die? Actually I'm speechless....

6 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone in reply to quantick

I had a reply in the making... but I got a lost connection. It really was a very nice (even lovely) summing up of the whole sad situation but I'm at a loss to have to re-type the long post.

In a way lots of things come to an untimely end - this person, my lost post to this thread. It's just how it goes. Sucks.

Well, I must say! I've been going through a few of David Quantick's tweets and I can't see that there's much of a point in half of them.

One of the most insightful being him noticing how few people take good care of their footwear. I had noticed that too and I'm thankful to have found time in my morning routine to have made sure my young lad has had freshly polished shoes each and every day of his first year at school.

But, on the other hand, I find it sad that he really thinks we do all this dead pooling for "humour" or our "fun" and that we are "sick" or have no understanding of people’s feelings.

Don't think he quite gets "us" or the big idea behind what we do and why we do it?

Oh well. In time, those that "get-it" (and I guess that's never going to be many) may one day reflect with a different appraisal.

Hello

David Quantick

According to his wikipedia entry that he probably authored himself, he's a third rate comedy hack with a big ego (reading between the lines).

It says:

On 3 April 2008, Word magazine was forced to apologise in court to Morrissey, over an article by Quantick that accused the singer of racism and hypocrisy.
So he's quite happy to dish shit on others. I wouldn't even grace his email with a polite "fuck off" in reply.

Coincidentally, without ever having heard of him before, I was reading a column by him in the Telegraph yesterday and wondering why they were printing such crap before I remembered it was August, then I logged on here and saw his name raised again.

Yes, I read that. About Monty Python, who once had a sketch about undertakers inviting clients to eat their dead mother and at the end of Life of Brian had a song

which went:

Life's a piece of shit

When you look at it

Life's a laugh

And death's a joke, it's true

You'll see it's all a show

Keep 'em laughing as you go

Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Perhaps he's getting old and straying into Daily Mail territory, as a few of his NME contemporaries are....

Well, I must say! I've been going through a few of David's tweets and I can't see that there's much of a point in half of them.

One of the most insightful being him noticing how few people take good care of their footwear. I had noticed that too and I'm thankful to have found time in my morning routine to have made sure my young lad has had freshly polished shoes each and every day of his first year at school.

But, on the other hand, I find it sad that he really thinks we do all this dead pooling for "humour" or our "fun" and that we are "sick" or have no understanding of people’s feelings.

Don't think he quite gets "us" or the big idea behind what we do and why we do it?

Oh well. In time, those that "get-it" (and I guess that's never going to be many) may one day reflect with a different appraisal.

WTF are you talking about?

What "big idea"?

It was/is a student laugh.

PS well done Spade for calling Quantick out on his hypocrisy

This would never have happened if ahem whoever's behind that team chose Steve Lurpak. Besides, just how far into a google search of Swells dead do you have to go to fall on ddp?

Incidentially the email message from Mr. Quantick initially appeared in the junk e-mail folder of the DDP's Outlook account. I happened to notice it

when doing a quick scan...

Oh God now I've got lengthy private messages from Quantick and he's harassing me over Facebook as well. It's too early in the fucken morning for this.

Oh God now I've got lengthy private messages from Quantick and he's harassing me over Facebook as well. It's too early in the fucken morning for this.

He probably thinks you're the main man!

I'm a bit concerned with this. I don't want this to spiral into some media thing. It is the silly season after all and I know a wise

man once said that all publicity is good publicity, but this might provoke a shit storm...

I'm a bit concerned with this. I don't want this to spiral into some media thing. It is the silly season after all and I know a wise

man once said that all publicity is good publicity, but this might provoke a shit storm...

Best practice, I think, is that TMIB quietly ignores all further personal communications. There's little Mr Quantick can do besides whine. A shit storm doesn't bother me much.

I don't expect that this will spill over to DL, but if it does, management can handle it, I trust. A few nice rants would certainly increase entertainment value here.

What worries me most is that, rather than discussing our successes and failures, we're wasting our time on this rubbish.

regards,

Hein

I think, at worst, we get a snipey comment in the next episode of The Now Show. Or, even more devastatingly, a snipey SONG in the next episode of The Now Show.

I think, at worst, we get a snipey comment in the next episode of The Now Show. Or, even more devastatingly, a snipey SONG in the next episode of The Now Show.

Many thanks for your sterling efforts, Spade. For that I shall accept your pun (Ivy Bean) for the next DDP missive. I had my own one, but I'll wait until another Bean

drops before using it.. :)

Best practice, I think, is that TMIB quietly ignores all further personal communications. There's little Mr Quantick can do besides whine. A shit storm doesn't bother me much.

I don't expect that this will spill over to DL, but if it does, management can handle it, I trust. A few nice rants would certainly increase entertainment value here.

What worries me most is that, rather than discussing our successes and failures, we're wasting our time on this rubbish.

regards,

Hein

There's no such thing as bad publicity. By the way I'm intrigued by this "big idea". No one's ever told me about it. Also have been trying to fathom out that Twitter trail. I've been twittering myself for eons now but don't really understand it. It's getting a bit complicated with retweets and stuff like that, couldn't make head nor tail of the link nor who was speaking to who although there seemed to be an entertaining exchange of insults in there.

regards,

Hein

There's no such thing as bad publicity. By the way I'm intrigued by this "big idea". No one's ever told me about it. Also have been trying to fathom out that Twitter trail. I've been twittering myself for eons now but don't really understand it. It's getting a bit complicated with retweets and stuff like that, couldn't make head nor tail of the link nor who was speaking to who although there seemed to be an entertaining exchange of insults in there.

What's Quantick's health like? All that moral indignation can't be very good for one's blood pressure!

I am distressed at the allegations he has levelled towards us all and I feel that he owes us an apology. The man thinks that all 400+ DDP competitors are "scum" and therefore perhaps he should be treated with the contempt he deserves. However, maybe he has misunderstood and should be given a chance to clarify his views. Does he really think that we all wanted Steven Wells to die??

I wouldn't have minded so much if the condemnation had come from some hopeless Daily Mail resident fascist, that would have been expected. But I'd always quite admired David Quantick's work so it's all the more depressing to read that he has turned in to a reactionary old fart. I am still shocked that it really was him and not an imposter. No man has given more services to the art of hypocrisy this week than David Quantick.

This is a lesson to us all; how one moment you can be a leading luminary in contemporary cutting edge wit and within a few years have morphed in to Melanie Phillip's (sic) love child. :)

regards,

Hein

What's Quantick's health like? All that moral indignation can't be very good for one's blood pressure!

I am distressed at the allegations he has levelled towards us all and I feel that he owes us an apology. The man thinks that all 400+ DDP competitors are "scum" and therefore perhaps he should be treated with the contempt he deserves. However, maybe has misunderstood and should be given a chance to clarify his views. Does he really think that we all wanted Steven Wells to die??

I wouldn't have minded so much if the condemnation had come from some hopeless Daily Mail resident fascist, that would have been expected. But I'd always quite admired David Quantick's work so it's all the more depressing to read that he has turned in to a reactionary old fart. I am still shocked that it really was him and not an imposter. No man has given more services to the art of hypocrisy this week than David Quantick.

This is a lesson to us all; how one moment you can be a leading luminary in contemporary cutting edge wit and within a few years have morphed in to Melanie Phillip's (sic) love child. :)

A lot of the competitors on the DDP wouldn't have heard of Steven Wells. His death might have prompted a few to check some of his stuff out. And I'm quite sure OoO

gave him proper dues in his email last June...

It seems that we're a step too far Quantick. Next time he's on telly or radio and attempts to be egregious, we'll be reminded of the truth.

I was considering BC'ing on my next DDP email, just so he gets a taste of what we're all about, but I won't bother now.

My guess is what happened here.... D-Quan was bored one night, maybe a couple of cans of Red Stripe to the good, decided to self-Google. Finds his own name on the DDP, also finds the link in his profile to his old mucker Swell's, and thinks that this is some website where one specific guy has celebrated the death of his old friend and now wants he himself to go down. Sends off an indignant email, thinks no more of it.

Then this... not exactly blows up on twitter, but at least has a small coterie of, what, 400/500 people being suddenly aware of what it is. Quantick probably then remembers the Clint Eastwood movie or reading about deadpools elsewhere, but also knows that there's a bunch of people staring at him waiting for his response, he can't back down and go "whoops, my bad", so he takes the stubbornly defensive moralistic standpoint. It's idiotic, it's unworkable and he knows this, but there's really not much else he can do: bro's a Media Figure, we're "some guys on the internet", he can't really do the job for us.

Incidentally, while all this is going on, someone sent me a link to the Facebook page for Quantick's (considerably younger) missus. If I had that waiting for me at home, I wouldn't be getting so radge on Twitter to mark my days.

Something must be in the air, there are 32 guests reading this thread as I type.