Sign in to follow this  
gettingOLD!

2011 Death List

Just read the 2011 death list can anyone tell me why Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Megrahi is not top of the list as in 2010?. He was also no. 2 in 2009 he's sure to pop his clogs with a bang this year!!!!

Just read the 2011 death list can anyone tell me why Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Megrahi is not top of the list as in 2010?. He was also no. 2 in 2009 he's sure to pop his clogs with a bang this year!!!!

The reason why he is not top of the list is because the committee decided to put someone else top of the list.

Just as he was sure to last year and the year before!

I've kept the faith and kept him as my DDP joker...for the third year running.

That goes some way to answering your question. :burnash:

That goes some way to answering your question. :party:

Indeed Windsor, so I am guessing he will be your joker in 2012 too :burnash: . I do hope you don't have my joker in your pool, he is a member of the aristocracy though and might appeal to you, nothing online about him since December 2009 but local knowledge tells me that treatment stopped last April and nothing more can be done.

Indeed Windsor, so I am guessing he will be your joker in 2012 too :burnash: . I do hope you don't have my joker in your pool, he is a member of the aristocracy though and might appeal to you, nothing online about him since December 2009 but local knowledge tells me that treatment stopped last April and nothing more can be done.

I don't. Although he does seem to be a rather popular pick this year...which is probably bad news for me. :party: Guy Innes-Ker, 10th Duke of Roxburghe?

He was in my shadow list last year, along side the late Duke of Hamilton. I dropped Roxburghe due to lack of news.

I don't. Although he does seem to be a rather popular pick this year...which is probably bad news for me. :party: Guy Innes-Ker, 10th Duke of Roxburghe?

He was in my shadow list last year, along side the late Duke of Hamilton. I dropped Roxburghe due to lack of news.

I didn't view him as the top prospect or even top 10. I thought that he was in the 15-20 range to rank them, making him DDP worthy. I find it hard to see the argument that he doesn't belong on the top 50, but it isn't my list. The truth is that most regular contributors do much better in picking 50 then the "Committee". In short, this site is a great research tool but the top 50 is usually pretty worthless, other then to haze.

The lack of true information about his condition and the fact he has already far exceeded what the doctors predicted (or were told to predict) meant he was removed.

Plus it allowed us to invoke the unwritten 26 name carry forward rule (see other posts on this)

The lack of true information about his condition and the fact he has already far exceeded what the doctors predicted (or were told to predict) meant he was removed.

Plus it allowed us to invoke the unwritten 26 name carry forward rule (see other posts on this)

I'm sure he really is quite ill - guess it was just a wide stretch of the truth to say he only had 3 months - it well fooled about 232 of the 480 teams on the DDP in 2010. The big question mark is will he exit in 2011 - if so then the DL were wrong to leave him out. In my book just down grading him to position number 49 was ample recourse.

Much to my surprise, I've just seen an article on The Deathlist dropping Megrahi in a local newspaper. It's recent, as it mentioned the first hit of the year being Gerry Rafferty, and includes quotes from a Deathlist insider...

Much to my surprise, I've just seen an article on The Deathlist dropping Megrahi in a local newspaper. It's recent, as it mentioned the first hit of the year being Gerry Rafferty, and includes quotes from a Deathlist insider...

Please provide.....

Please provide.....

bottom of the page as it stands

Since that's subscription, I'll quote the best bits from the print version. Grubby paper, but the wife loves it.

THE REPORTS OF MY DEATH ARE GREATLY EXAGGERATED

Al Megrahi not expected to die in 2011

The Lockerbie bomber has been taken off the deathlist...a poll predicting who's going to die in 2011.

(Bit about Megrahi's back story)

Now the deathlist compilers have dropped him altogether because they believe he has more mileage in him. Not even newspaper reports last month claiming he was in a coma and "close to death" have convinced them to include him on this years list.

(more on Megrahi)

A spokesman for the deathlist said: "Deathlist 2010 was a big disappointment, chalking up its lowest score for over a decade. But with the performance in the latter half of the year, surely there are signs the dry season is behind us. This years list has the unique feature of not including the surviving number 1 pick from the previous year. Will the re-evaluated strategy pay off?"

Meanwhile, Paisley-born busker turned chart topper Gerry Rafferty became the first person on the deathlist to depart this world after he lasted for just four days in 2011.

...Ronnie Biggs tops the list.

(Biggs history)

It also has pictures of Megrahi, Ronnie Biggs and Thatcher to illustrate. And someone's attempt at a Deathlist of their own of local Glasgow folk.

A spokesman for the deathlist said: "Deathlist 2010 was a big disappointment, chalking up its lowest score for over a decade. But with the performance in the latter half of the year, surely there are signs the dry season is behind us. This years list has the unique feature of not including the surviving number 1 pick from the previous year. Will the re-evaluated strategy pay off?"

The blurb is from Grim's front page intro, sadly not from an in-depth interview with the lad with the scythe.

The blurb is from Grim's front page intro, sadly not from an in-depth interview with the lad with the scythe.

So it is. Didn't connect it seeing in the paper.

Anyone could have written that up from the front page.

It also has pictures of Megrahi, Ronnie Biggs and Thatcher to illustrate. And someone's attempt at a Deathlist of their own of local Glasgow folk.

I'd forgotten about The Digger, haven't heard of it since I left Glasgow, you are right it is a grubby paper, mainly focussing on the criminal underworld of Glasgow, if memory serves correctly. I'm sure it's not of any interest to other DL'ers, but I wouldn't mind seeing their attempt at a Glasgow Deathlist if you have time to post it msc, although I think I can guess who might be on it.

I'd forgotten about The Digger, haven't heard of it since I left Glasgow, you are right it is a grubby paper, mainly focussing on the criminal underworld of Glasgow, if memory serves correctly. I'm sure it's not of any interest to other DL'ers, but I wouldn't mind seeing their attempt at a Glasgow Deathlist if you have time to post it msc, although I think I can guess who might be on it.

It's been binned now, the paper: rescued it from the bin to type up the quotes, but the bins gone out now. It was all members of the underworld, I believe. And the owner of a website about gangs. Can't remember names (one of them was a group of brothers).

That goes some way to answering your question. :)

Indeed Windsor, so I am guessing he will be your joker in 2012 too :unsure: . I do hope you don't have my joker in your pool, he is a member of the aristocracy though and might appeal to you, nothing online about him since December 2009 but local knowledge tells me that treatment stopped last April and nothing more can be done.

I don't. Although he does seem to be a rather popular pick this year...which is probably bad news for me. :)Guy Innes-Ker, 10th Duke of Roxburghe?

I think you were right to drop him Windsor. I was at Floors Castle today for their annual Massed Pipes and Drums event. This year the special guests were The Household Cavalry who put on their Musical Ride. At the end of their display they lined up for the Duke of Roxburghe to 'dismiss' them. He looked remarkably healthy and was certainly able to speak. I got quite close to him and he didn't look ill. I may have to find a new joker for next year as obviously local knowledge has got it wrong :( .