Davey Jones' Locker

The "Bodies on the Beach" Serial Killer

Some other nutter isn't too impressed. Professional jealousy?

Speaking to The New York Daily News from prison, Rifkin said that he is not impressed with the handiwork of the murderer who has been branded the new "Craigslist Killer" and the "Long Island Ripper."

Rifkin said the murderer currently being hunted by the police should not have left the four bodies on Oak Beach, so close together. During the 70-minute interview he said: "I dumped them hundreds of miles apart."

[snip]

He also offered some advice to the police. He suggested that they should focus on white men, aged 18 to 45. However, he also acknowledge the massive task ahead of them. The 51-year-old killer said "That's like half the country…America breeds serial killers…..You don't see any from Europe."

He suspected that the killer being hunted may have shared some of his own experiences, growing up lonely in the suburbs, being bullied and finding it difficult to deal with anger.

Source: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Long-Isla...-119970579.html

• Like 1

Having found more than ten bodies along Gilgo and Jones Beaches, many of whom have been identified as prostitutes, police are still trying to get to the bottom of the possible Long Island Serial Killer. Police have talked to Joel Rifkin, utilized spy planes, and extended their investigation from Long Island to Atlantic City. Now, there's been a strange new development in the case regarding one of the identified women: it seems that members of a Long Island internet sex forum discussed "revenge" plans against her.

"Humiliatrix69", a member of Longislanderotic.com, claimed he had been "suckered" by hooker Amber Lynn Costello; he said he paid $200 for sex, only to be robbed by men who barged into her home. Other members of the website rallied around him, and vowed revenge in various ways. "Italyrider" asked for her address: "No one from this board needs to be involved. I have friends who can take care of this s---." A self-declared ex-con known as "Morrie" wrote, "Tell her we are all coming over there with baseball bats."

[snip]

Humiliatrix69 wrote at the time that he had wanted to be spiteful and get revenge, but chickened out in doing anything for real. After "Morrie" posted that no one would "hear from those 2 girls anymore," Humiliatrix69 wrote, "Thanks for all the help." However, the day the bodies were found and identified, Humiliatrix69 wrote, "Hey, I posted my experience in frustration and anger cause I got ripped off, but I wouldn't wish death on no one. Hobbying [buying sex] is one thing, and hate to say it ... karma is truly a b----." :o

Source: http://gothamist.com/2011/04/17/internet_s..._against_pr.php

In spite of countless cases like this the US (with the exception of Nevada) won't do anything to overhaul it's archaic prostitution laws, which do nothing but condemn vulnerable women to suffer abuse and worse at the hands of these kind of sick scumbags

Now that the Royal Wedding is over, we return to our regular news broadcast... Not much progress, it seems, has been made in tracking the Bodies on the Beach serial killer down. First of all, more reports from the highly dubious world of criminal profiling:

From http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/04/22/...15261303512175/

The killer who dumped women's bodies on a Long Island beach east of New York City appears to be organized and methodical, profilers tell The New York Times.

The newspaper interviewed several criminologists, including a former FBI profiler. Based on the information now public about the case, they said the killer is probably a white male with an age somewhere between mid 20s and mid 40s, intelligent, with some education and a job, who may live or have lived in the area near his burial ground.

"This is someone who can walk into a room and seem like your average Joe," said Scott Bonn, a sociologist at Drew University in Madison, N.J., who has researched serial killers. "He has to be persuasive enough and rational enough that he is able to convince these women to meet him on these terms. He has demonstrated social skills. He may even be charming."

From http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/04/perso...of_long_is.html

...based on the killer's profile, he actually sounds like he would appear better socially adjusted than average. Well, before you hear about the burlap fetish at least. According to the Times' sources:

He is most likely a white male in his mid-20s to mid-40s. He is married or has a girlfriend. He is well educated and well spoken. He is financially secure, has a job and owns an expensive car or truck. He may have sought treatment at a hospital for poison ivy infection. As part of his job or interests, he has access to, or a stockpile of, burlap sacks.

The experts consulted had access only to the data that's been made public thus far, such as the fact that four of the bodies were prostitutes who advertised on Craigslist. Bonn explained:

“He has to be persuasive enough and rational enough that he is able to convince these women to meet him on these terms. He has demonstrated social skills. He may even be charming.”

Profilers typically classify subjects as either organized killers or disorganized killers. Jack the Ripper was the latter. This man appears to be in the former camp, just like Joel Rifkin and Robert Shulman, the two other Long Island serial killers who preyed on prostitutes. Organized killers are often methodical and seem to live stable lives. Based on the taunting phone calls to victims' relatives, retired FBI profiler Jim Clemente said:

“That gives me an idea that he is a sadist. That would be reflected in his relationship and jobs. He is the one who laughs when a cat gets run over or a kid falls off his bike. He likes the suffering of others, and he really likes it when he can cause it or witness it.”

From http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Long-Isla...-120593279.html

Police reportedly think the Craigslist Long Island serial killer, who has dumped at least eight bodies along a Long Island beach, may be associated with law enforcement because of the suspect’s apparent familiarity with techniques used in murder investigations.

Immediate comparisons have been made to the lead character in the Showtime series “Dexter,” who is a bloodstain pattern analyst for the Miami PD by day and a serial killer by night.

However, some do not agree with this comparison.

Criminal profiler Pat Brown told the ‘Today’ show that making that connection is a bit of a stretch.

"I have to say this I think they are really over blowing the connection to law enforcement,” she said.

“The reasons he probably made the phone calls from the crowded places was simply that he was there … I don’t think he is being that brilliant. I think he does pretty well hiding the bodies. I think he could be watching ‘Dexter’ or ‘CSI’ and getting his ideas from there. I don’t think he has to be from law enforcement, and I don’t think we should jump to that conclusion and throw out all the chips that have nothing to do with law enforcement."

********************************************************************************

An investigator who is analysing some teeth found at one of the crime scenes thinks profiling is at least partly bollocks:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/23/...n20056728.shtml

Brown is cautious, saying, "When we do a profile you have to be very careful not to add in things that you really don't know. In the New York Times profile, I noticed that they mentioned he had an expensive car - I have no idea how you can figure out the guy has an expensive car unless you've seen that car driving along and dumping a body out."

********************************************************************************

Meanwhile, some random female blogger living in the area is failing badly in her attempt not to fall into that most American of character traits. wild paranoia: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/118...killer_may_be_a

New details in the Long Island Craigslist Killer case have surfaced that will leave anyone living remotely near the quiet barrier island community that has a become a body dumping ground with a serious case of the shivers. Investigators looking into the murders of at least 8 and as many as 13 prostitutes so far have come up with a partial profile of a suspect, and the findings are downright scary.

This guy (most serial killers are men) does not appear to be your average half-witted, socially inept drifter living in the underworld of crime and opportunity. To the contrary, now police think he may be pretty smart and seemingly normal. He might even be married, have a couple of kids, possibly coach soccer or volunteer at the Rotary Club or other civic group. And based on how well he seems to be covering his tracks, he may even be a cop or someone who worked in law enforcement currently or in the past.

In other words, he might be your neighbor!

I know police don't want to sound the alarm. We should not panic because this guy is calculated and specifically targets prostitutes as far as they know. Somehow that does not make this better. The fact that this guy could be anyone, particularly a person in a profession that is supposed to protect people of all walks of life, is unsettling to the core.

The shocking news comes on the heels of several clues about the killer the police have picked up during their investigation. That the killer contacted all his victims through Craigslist gave them hope of being able to trace the suspect electronically and wrapping this case up quickly. But this appears to be no ordinary criminal. According to a report in the Daily Mail, the killer used disposable and untraceable cellphones to contact all four victims found back in December.

[snip]

Does news that the Long Island serial killer may be a cop freak you out?

Finally, it turns out that this "Craigslist" serial killing lark isn't very original - these murderers are a dime a dozen already!

One was caught in Boston and "staged an elaborate suicide in jail in August."

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/914651...-residency.html

There is another suspected case in New Jersey: "Authorities in New Jersey say a new “Craigslist killer” may have murdered a dozen or more women who he met through Craigslist, where the victims advertised prostitution. Although Craigslist previously banned prostitution ads after a prior serial killer was found to have lured victims to their deaths through answering ads on the site, Craigslist continued to allow “adult” advertising where thinly veiled ads for prostitution and human trafficking including minors reportedly still flourish."

http://eastcountymagazine.org/node/5896

Well no wonder the criminal profiles didn't match - there's a whole bunch of Bodies on the Beach killers on the loose in New York!

Several killers at work in NY body spree

Several murderers, not a single serial killer as originally feared, are behind the 10 bodies dumped along a stretch of ocean beachfront on Long Island in New York, officials say.

Investigators probing the bodies in a picturesque area popular with summer tourists indicate that as many as four killers could be responsible.

"What is now very clear is that the area around Gilgo Beach has been used to discard human remains for some period of time," Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.

"As distasteful and disturbing as that is, there is no evidence that all of these remains are the work of a single killer."

Read here for the rest: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/11/3213284.htm

Two police suspected, on no stronger evidence than that they use to engage in business transactions with ladies of ill repute whilst on duty:

http://www.inquisitr.com/107177/ny-post-tw...al-killer-case/

Meanwhile, nutters dressed as superheroes are attempting to protect the prostitutes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...o=feeds-newsxml

Transcript of story about the investigation on Australian television: http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2011/s3222722.htm

Some choice quotes:

“There's never been a crime solved in this country by a profiler. They are always after-the-fact people. They are always super egg heads who think they know all of the answers after you catch 'em. Profilers are full of crap. OK ? Make it very clear.” JOE COFFEY - Former NY Homicide Detective

“(New Yorkers) left for Long island because of the city’s heroin or because of the crime but there's still crime because there's one big problem. There's still human beings out there and there are no perfect human beings and some of them are really bad”. PETE HAMILL - Author ‘Tabloid City’

Among the many desperate that these cases are cracked is Mari Gilbert – a mother, treasuring her last photo with daughter Shannan and waiting for news. Shannan – a sex worker – disappeared 12 months ago and it’s feared she’s one of the serial killer’s victims.

“Her last phone call was to 911 lasting 23 minutes long screaming Help me! Help me! He's trying to kill me! And the police never got there. And they didn't arrive until 45 minutes later after the call and she was already gone.

The police inspector who finally caught the Bronx killer David Berkowitz, a.k.a. the Son of Sam died at the age of 99.

oh FFS I was just reading up about that case last week, and had only just put Dowd on my longlist as a possibility .

• Like 1

A search of Rex Heuermann's house reveals the normal accoutrements of American life: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66205088

200-300 firearms, a life sized doll in a glass case and a portrait of a woman with a battered face.

It's a free country, he can keep what he wants. What they need to establish is motive, means and opportunity.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

A search of Rex Heuermann's house reveals the normal accoutrements of American life: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66205088

200-300 firearms, a life sized doll in a glass case and a portrait of a woman with a battered face.

It's a free country, he can keep what he wants. What they need to establish is motive, means and opportunity.

Why does he have 200 to 300 firearms?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

Why does he have 200 to 300 firearms?

Why not? It's America

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MortalCaso said:

Why not? It's America

Even the nuttiest of gun nuts don't have that many unless they run a fucking firearms company or moonie cult or something.

• Like 2