Hope he chooses to go by his middle name should he ever become king, Arthur that is. 

Interestingly the only one of William's kids names not common in either it's male or female form going back in the royal line is Diana, so we can be pretty clear Kate's given up naming rights in exchange for royal life. No Carole, Michael or Francis to be seen or Peter Ronald John Valerie or Dorothy (Names in Kates recent family past). Maybe next time?

William's Kids

George Alexander Louis

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana

Louis Arthur Charles 

Charles Kids

William Arthur Philip Louis

Henry Charles Albert David

Elizabeth II's Kids

Charles Arthur Philip George

Anne Elizabeth Alice Louis

Andrew Albert Christian Edward

Edward Antony Richard Louis

George VI's Kids (kids not expected to be monarch at time of children's birth)

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

Margaret Rose

George V's Kids

Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David

Albert Frederick Arthur George

Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary

Henry William Frederick Albert

George Edward Alexander Edmund

I can't be arsed to do anymore because people start dying in the wrong order around George V's ascension and we're already in dodgy ground with Edward's Wallace thing.

But it seems odd that William is only giving his kids 3 names which is more royal standard for children who are not children of or expected to be children of a monarch? Does he not trust Charles to keep the monarchy alive or does he foresee a reason he himself won't be able to take the throne?

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you must but I think I'm onto something.

George Alexander Louis

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana

Louis Arthur Charles 

All of these (except for Diana) are names recently if not perennially popular with the English middle to upper classes, so I don't think it implies anything about Kate not having a say.  Kate and her siblings all have similarly classic names that occur in the BRF:  Catherine Elizabeth, Philippa Charlotte, James William. 

No Carole, Michael or Francis to be seen or Peter Ronald John Valerie or Dorothy

She might not like any of those names, and none of them are very fashionable right now.  

As for three names instead of four, perhaps that reflects the 'slimming down' of the RF.  Three names is more than enough for anyone really, isn't it. 

They must really like Louis. 

In rememberence of who he named after

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQtCyrg51N8Ai4sQ3Tpo1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

All of these (except for Diana) are names recently if not perennially popular with the English middle to upper classes, so I don't think it implies anything about Kate not having a say.  Kate and her siblings all have similarly classic names that occur in the BRF:  Catherine Elizabeth, Philippa Charlotte, James William. 

She might not like any of those names, and none of them are very fashionable right now.  

As for three names instead of four, perhaps that reflects the 'slimming down' of the RF.  Three names is more than enough for anyone really, isn't it. 

They must really like Louis. 

3 names is enough for any of your average middle class people. The royal family are not average middle class people.

The whole idea of having that many names is giving the kid options; i.e King Gerorge VI was born Albert, Prince Mary's first name was Victoria, it allows the child or their parent to switch names. 3 names isn't enough for a royal, and as I said it signals William doesn't expect the monarchy to last long enough for Prince George to be king.

22 minutes ago, Deathray said:

3 names is enough for any of your average middle class people. The royal family are not average middle class people.

The whole idea of having that many names is giving the kid options; i.e King Gerorge VI was born Albert, Prince Mary's first name was Victoria, it allows the child or their parent to switch names. 3 names isn't enough for a royal, and as I said it signals William doesn't expect the monarchy to last long enough for Prince George to be king.

Anyone can call themselves any name they like - it doesn't have to be a name they were registered with.

As for using a different regnal name, that's very much the exception rather than the rule. 

Bertie chose to reign as George VI to give the illusion of continuity after the abdication. 

Edward VII did not want to use his first name of Albert because it was his father's name.

Victoria dropped her first name Alexandrina.  I think these are the only ones who have not used their first names.

I think most of Victoria's children and grandchildren had Albert or Victoria shoehorned into their names.  Some of them probably felt those names were a burden.

Good job they did'nt go for Boris Sadiq Jeremy then.

I had a sneaky £1 on Louie though. :rolleyes:

• Like 1