Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. I wonder what Liz & Phil think of that?

The old girl has to approve the name, doesn't she, as a matter of protocol? She must have bit her lip and rubber-stamped it (the name that is, not her lip).

If Diana had not been in there then a lot of questions would be asked about what has happend behind the scenes.

This name has as much an eye on public opinion as it does on the rest of the family.

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. I wonder what Liz & Phil think of that?

The old girl has to approve the name, doesn't she, as a matter of protocol? She must have bit her lip and rubber-stamped it (the name that is, not her lip).

No, she doesn't. Some Palace wonk was on the telly the other day and said that HM is consulted and may offer an opinion, just the same as what happens in most families. But ultimately the choice is down to the parents.

Why not Charlotte Diana Elizabeth? Probably intra-family politics.

It just flows better. Names ending in 'a' tend to collide with names beginning with a vowel.

I'm a bit disappointed, but not surprised, that they have gone for a boring obvious choice, as with George. There have been princesses and queens consort called Charlotte, and as the feminine version of Charles it's a compliment to granddad - and indirectly to grandma Carole, as her name is also a form of Charles. Caroline would have ticked all the same boxes. It would have been nice if they'd picked something different. It didn't have to be anything outrageous. There are lots of lovely classic names with no real BRF precedent like Julia, Antonia, Marianne etc.

• Like 1

Carole a form of 'Charles'

Ok

Ok

It derives from the Latinised form, Carolus. Carol is the male version, as with the late King Carol of Romania and the film director Carol Reed.

CHARLES
USAGE: English, French
Meaning & History
From the Germanic name Karl, which was derived from a Germanic word meaning "man". However, an alternative theory states that it is derived from the common Germanic element hari meaning "army, warrior".

The popularity of the name in continental Europe was due to the fame of Charles the Great (742-814), commonly known as Charlemagne, a king of the Franks who came to rule over most of Europe. It was subsequently borne by several Holy Roman Emperors, as well as kings of France, Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Hungary. The name did not become common in Britain until the 17th century when it was carried by the Stuart king Charles I. It had been introduced into the Stuart royal family by Mary Queen of Scots, who had been raised in France.

VARIANT: Carol (English)
DIMINUTIVES: Charley, Charlie, Chas, Chaz, Chip, Chuck (English), Charlot (French)
FEMININE FORMS: Charla, Charlene, Charlotte, Charleen, Sharla, Sharleen, Sharlene (English), Carole, Charline, Charlotte (French)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Carolus, Karl (Ancient Germanic), Carles, Carlos (Catalan), Karlo (Croatian), Karel (Czech), Carl, Karl (Danish), Karel (Dutch), Kaarle, Kaarlo, Karl, Kalle (Finnish), Carl, Karl (German), Kale (Hawaiian), Károly, Karcsi (Hungarian), Séarlas (Irish), Carlo (Italian), Sjarel (Limburgish), Karolis (Lithuanian), Carl, Karl (Norwegian), Karol (Polish), Carlos, Carlinhos, Carlito, Carlitos (Portuguese), Carol (Romanian), Karol (Slovak), Karel, Karol (Slovene), Carlos, Carlito, Carlitos (Spanish), Carl, Karl, Kalle (Swedish), Siarl (Welsh)

http://www.behindthename.com/name/charles

• Like 1

Ok

It derives from the Latinised form, Carolus. Carol is the male version, as with the late King Carol of Romania and the film director Carol Reed.

CHARLES
USAGE: English, French
Meaning & History
From the Germanic name Karl, which was derived from a Germanic word meaning "man". However, an alternative theory states that it is derived from the common Germanic element hari meaning "army, warrior".

The popularity of the name in continental Europe was due to the fame of Charles the Great (742-814), commonly known as Charlemagne, a king of the Franks who came to rule over most of Europe. It was subsequently borne by several Holy Roman Emperors, as well as kings of France, Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Hungary. The name did not become common in Britain until the 17th century when it was carried by the Stuart king Charles I. It had been introduced into the Stuart royal family by Mary Queen of Scots, who had been raised in France.

VARIANT: Carol (English)
DIMINUTIVES: Charley, Charlie, Chas, Chaz, Chip, Chuck (English), Charlot (French)
FEMININE FORMS: Charla, Charlene, Charlotte, Charleen, Sharla, Sharleen, Sharlene (English), Carole, Charline, Charlotte (French)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Carolus, Karl (Ancient Germanic), Carles, Carlos (Catalan), Karlo (Croatian), Karel (Czech), Carl, Karl (Danish), Karel (Dutch), Kaarle, Kaarlo, Karl, Kalle (Finnish), Carl, Karl (German), Kale (Hawaiian), Károly, Karcsi (Hungarian), Séarlas (Irish), Carlo (Italian), Sjarel (Limburgish), Karolis (Lithuanian), Carl, Karl (Norwegian), Karol (Polish), Carlos, Carlinhos, Carlito, Carlitos (Portuguese), Carol (Romanian), Karol (Slovak), Karel, Karol (Slovene), Carlos, Carlito, Carlitos (Spanish), Carl, Karl, Kalle (Swedish), Siarl (Welsh)

http://www.behindthename.com/name/Charles

It's also how Charles Dodgson came to choose the nom de plume of Lewis Carroll.

• Like 1

Andy Murray and missus about to have a baby, expected mid-February.

Is it time again for guess the date/name/weight/gender?

The 19th of February and his name will be Earl

Thanks MK. Thinking if there's enough interest I'll keep a note. Remember if you pick the same date, the nearest time of birth gets it (no time specified means you think one minute past midnight on the date specified). No editing your posts, though updates on a fresh post and entries accepted until noon on 31 January. If born before then only entries submitted prior to birth are in the running.

She's knocked up, it is time to start the game!

Edit: I'll say it's a girl, born 21 February 2016 at 19:30 hours GMT, weighing 7lbs 9 oz, to be named Alexandra Mhairi.

Andy Murray knows a thing or two about early exits.

February 2, Phil (as in Puxatawny).

SirC

14th February, named Valentine.

Entries so far for the Murray baby:

Morbidkid - 19 Feb, Male, Earl

YoungWillz - 21 Feb (19:30), Female, 7lbs 9oz, Alexandra Mhairi

Sir C - 2 Feb, Male, Phil

Radguy - 14 Feb, Valentine

I want to say "next weekend" to see how much it screws up the Australian Open if Murray is still in it. However, first time babies tend to be late arrivals these days, so I'll go with March 1st.

Oh, and that it'll be a girl. Jane.

28th Feb. Male

Robert Christopher Nesbitt Murray.

Steffi Martina

A girl btw.

Cheers, all logged.

Noon 31 January closing.

Given the news this morning, I'll extend the deadline for entries until 4pm today for any further guesses on the Murray baby.

I think Novak is a nice name.....

It's a winner, certainly, but will it be in this game?

Closed. Entries for the Murray baby are as follows:

Sir C - 2 Feb, Male, Phil

Radguy - 14 Feb, Valentine

Morbidkid - 19 Feb, Male, Earl

YoungWillz - 21 Feb (19:30), Female, 7lbs 9oz, Alexandra Mhairi

Book - 25 Feb, Female, Steffi Martina

En Passant - 28 Feb, Male, Robert Christopher Nesbitt

msc - 1 March

Bibliogryphon - Novak.

It's a girl Born Sunday night(?)

• Like 1

It's a girl Born Sunday night(?)

My 'early exits' remark stands true to form. Five days off, that's gotta count for sumptin.

SC

Date: fail

Sex: fail

Name: Still in with a shout...

• Like 2

Yep, awaiting further details but Sir C is closest on date.

Both myself and Book were correct on gender.