Davey Jones' Locker

Aristocrats

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That's a bit unfair. Silly name does not = nob. On the contrary, I've always found the hereditary peers are far better people – nicer and wiser – than the crony life peers the HoL is now stuffed with.

His death means there 249 out of the 666 hereditaries removed in 1999 are still living. New and improved list can be found here. Funny to think that King Charles was one of the hereditaries removed in '99!

Weeeelllll.

I think it's easy to be nice when you inherit huge landholdings from which you derive a merry income, knowing you'll pass it on to your kids relatively tax free because it is held in trust or by a nominated company. Meanwhile, Mrs Pensioner who got that house when her husband died gets her family smashed with a 40 per cent inheritance tax bill.

No doubt this chap did a lot of good in his area though. Just a pity they have all the privileges with little of the responsibility we all have in our lives. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Weeeelllll.

I think it's easy to be nice when you inherit huge landholdings from which you derive a merry income, knowing you'll pass it on to your kids relatively tax free because it is held in trust or by a nominated company. Meanwhile, Mrs Pensioner who got that house when her husband died gets her family smashed with a 40 per cent inheritance tax bill.

No doubt this chap did a lot of good in his area though. Just a pity they have all the privileges with little of the responsibility we all have in our lives. :lol:

So you're saying peoples' mood and behaviour is driven by their social status or income? That's very classist/snobby of you (see how I turned that against you, motor mouth ;)).

• Haha 1

Oh and btw, a lot of the hereditaries are absolutely skint. Some live in squalor – flats or houses falling apart in disrepair, leaking pipes, damp and rot everywhere. Just because their great grandfather had money and land does not guarantee they do. There's a lot of modern day ignorance about the hereditaries.

The only group of people our population is more ignorant about is the military, what they do and how they operate. Yet, just like the hereditaries, everyone is quick out the door to give you their strong opinion about them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

So you're saying peoples' mood and behaviour is driven by their social status or income? That's very classist/snobby of you (see how I turned that against you, motor mouth ;)).

Absolutely I'm saying that. :P

They just have different things to complain about, like their yacht club meeting has been cancelled, or they can't get dinner at The Fat Duck. :lol:

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Oh and btw, a lot of the hereditaries are absolutely skint. Some live in squalor – flats or houses falling apart in disrepair, leaking pipes, damp and rot everywhere. Just because their great grandfather had money and land does not guarantee they do. There's a lot of modern day ignorance about the hereditaries.

The only group of people our population is more ignorant about is the military, what they do and how they operate. Yet, just like the hereditaries, everyone is quick out the door to give you their strong opinion about them.

Oh yes indeedy, the stories of hereditaries whose family have gambled or squandered the wealth their ancestors left are rife. I'm not saying they are all in a lovely position, and a lot of property goes into disrepair or is transferred to the State in due course.

But the fact they may have to work a little harder or sell off some family heirlooms to that guy off Salvage Hunters doesn't detract from the fact that these folk get first dibs on all the breaks a Government can give them. Christ, the State will step in and rebuild their properties for them if it were to burn down.

'Mon, we all know how it works.

• Facepalm 1

On 04/04/2024 at 12:51, Ulitzer95 said:

His death means that 249 out of the 666 hereditaries removed in 1999 are still living. New and improved list can be found here. Funny to think that King Charles was one of the hereditaries removed in '99!

Make that 248.

Death notice for Hans Hamilton, 4th Baron HolmPatrick (wiki), aged 69. Sat in the House of Lords as a Conservative peer from 1991 to 1999.

• Like 3

Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester has sold his childhood home Barnwell Manorhttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13303293/EDEN-CONFIDENTIAL-Ellie-Goulding-Princesses-Eugenie-Beatrice-Royal-Albert-Hall.html

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester should have a spring in their step this weekend.

They have, I can disclose, finally sold Barnwell Manor in Northamptonshire, the Duke's childhood home. 

The Duke, cousin of Queen Elizabeth, put the Tudor mansion on the market 18 months ago, seeking £4.75 million.

Last summer, he trimmed £500,000 from the asking price — enough, it transpires, to do the trick.

Mentions of the proposed sale on Wiki, thought it worth a mention.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

This belongs in the Royal Family thread.

32 minutes ago, Toast said:

This belongs in the Royal Family thread.

Tbh, I'm posting him here as he's on my list of Dukes, Marquesses and Earls posted in this thread.

But feel free to cross-post.

It might be of interest here to say that after Prince Richard dies, the Dukedom of Gloucester will cease to be Royal. After two generations they lose their Royal status.

Richard's father Henry was a son of a monarch (George V) and Richard a grandson and first cousin of a monarch.  After this the relationship of the Duke becomes too distant from the Crown.

The same will apply to Kent when Prince Edward, the current Duke of Kent, dies.  

This is why Edinburgh was changed to a life peerage - to prevent the Dukedom going out of the immediate family. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Toast said:

It might be of interest here to say that after Prince Richard dies, the Dukedom of Gloucester will cease to be Royal. After two generations they lose their Royal status.

Richard's father Henry was a son of a monarch (George V) and Richard a grandson and first cousin of a monarch.  After this the relationship of the Duke becomes too distant from the Crown.

The same will apply to Kent when Prince Edward, the current Duke of Kent, dies.  

This is why Edinburgh was changed to a life peerage - to prevent the Dukedom going out of the immediate family. 

Any chance of either of those getting the change? I could see them both being preserved for future use...

5 hours ago, Comped said:

Any chance of either of those getting the change? I could see them both being preserved for future use...

I don't think so.  Edinburgh was a special case because it was Prince Philip's title and they wanted to keep it for close family.  There are other royal dukedoms that are currently extinct that could be dusted off and re-used.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

DDP pick David Douglas, 12th Marquess of Queensberry reveals how he used judo to fight off a mugger: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13318005/Marquess-Queensberry-uses-judo-fights-mugger-london.html

He'll be 95 this year. His brown belt in judo might scare the Reaper off him for a while.

Surely he should have used boxing?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, time said:

Surely he should have used boxing?

He's 5 foot 4 (whatever that means). His attacker was 6ft. He could have gone for the nads, granted, but he used a leg sweep which frightened the mugger off.

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

He's 5 foot 4 (whatever that means). His attacker was 6ft. He could have gone for the nads, granted, but he used a leg sweep which frightened the mugger off.

Exactly the right move in this situation, no pun intended. Boxing with that kind of a height differential would have been absolutely stupid.

• Like 1