Sign in to follow this  
BrunoBrimley

Stranger Than Death

Today I bring you the sad case of Celeste Sanders.

In the course of one day from Thursday to Friday the dear woman died twice.....or did she never die? It's hard to tell but among other things she got older from one day to the next..

Here, let's take a look.......

CELESTE (ZAKIYYAH) SANDERS, 42

12/20/2006

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Celeste (Zakiyyah) Sanders, a lifelong Staten Islander and mother of 10, died yesterday in St. Elizabeth Ann's Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, Stapleton, where she was a resident for a year and a half. She was 42.

The West Brighton native had moved to Stapleton more than 10 years ago.

CELESTE (ZAKIYYAH) SANDERS, 43

12/20/2006

Friday, December 22, 2006

Celeste (Zakiyyah) Sanders, a lifelong Staten Islander and mother of 10, died Wednesday in St. Elizabeth Ann's Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, Stapleton, where she was a resident for a year and a half. She was 43.

The West Brighton native had moved to Stapleton more than 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Guest Shannon

Did you know this Trimarche-D'Anna family or are you a stranger? I was at the funneral and was just wondering why you chose to write about them?

Did you know this Trimarche-D'Anna family or are you a stranger? I was at the funneral and was just wondering why you chose to write about them?

Odder than other things is that years back I knew her son Anthony. That is, the son of Rose D'Anna. In those days of near to yesteryear I was residing on Staten Island, which accounts for how I keep coming up with oddities from the Advance.

....And now back to our regulary unscheduled postings....

today I was googling for baseball player David Wells and for some reason was presented with this liitle oddity from The Los Angeles Times.

David D. Perkins, 87; Dorothy Perkins, 84; couple were Stanford genetics researchers

By Thomas H. Maugh II, Times Staff Writer

January 28, 2007

David D. Perkins and Dorothy "Dot" Newmeyer Perkins, a husband-and-wife research team at Stanford University who were inseparable in the laboratory, proved inseparable in death as well, dying within days of each other this month.

Perkins, a pioneer in the use of the orange mold Neurospora crassa for studying genetics and cellular metabolism, died Jan. 2 at Stanford Hospital at age 87 after a short illness, the university announced this week.

His collaborator and wife of 54 years died four days later of natural causes at their home in Menlo Park, where she was in hospice care. She was 84.

"They were truly partners in everything: life, love, work and now death," wrote Stanford colleagues David Jacobson and Namboori B. Raju on a memorial website.

Dorothy Newmeyer was a graduate student in Tatum's Yale University laboratory, accompanying him when he returned to Stanford in 1948. She received her doctorate in 1951 and married Perkins, who had joined the Stanford faculty in 1949, the following year. She served as a senior research assistant in his laboratory until she was forced into retirement by ill health in 1988.

Even then, said Alice Schroeder of Washington State University, she was an excellent editor of the lab's papers, "finding the unacknowledged assumptions, inconsistencies and ambiguous sentences in any manuscript."

She wrote 30 papers during her career under the name D.L. Newmeyer.

My great grandparents married in 1924.

She died in 1934.

He died in 1954.

His second wife died in 1974.

Incidently, he was born at 91 High Street in 1891, his first wife was born at 92 High Street in 1892.

Guest Waldo Pepper

She died in 1934.

He died in 1954.

Incidently, he was born at 91 High Street in 1891, his first wife was born at 92 High Street in 1892.

Was he married the second time perchance in 1944? And did wifey #2 remarry in 1964? Oh but that would add so pleasurably to this series of events.

She died in 1934.

He died in 1954.

Was he married the second time perchance in 1944? And did wifey #2 remarry in 1964? Oh but that would add so pleasurably to this series of events.

I do not yet have that information.

I will have an addition to this one in the next day or so. It relates in a very round about way to the late Barbara McNair who is mentioned up in the 2007 Deads. Think Spencer. Think Walton. Think Baldwin and you'll know where I'm headed with this....ah dear old Papa,...

i'm confused BB. although it doesnt take much after 4 coronas.

It will involve Spencer and Walton and 2 persons named Baldwin.

One more clue...

There may be a RECIPE for what ails you, at least Papa would say so. I'll explain more tomorrow....

She died in 1934.

He died in 1954.

I do not yet have that information.

Yes they did get married in 1944.

The chain is broken though because it turns out he died in 1953.

Now as promised here is that interesting connection between the gifted singer and actress Barbara McNair who was taken from us this past week (just one month to the day shy of her next birthday) and the Baldwins, Spencers and Waltons as well as a note on Iwo Jima.

A guy named Earl Henry Hamner Jr. wrote books (maybe he still does) and then had a few films and television runs.

First off he had Spencer's Mountain (final film of Donald Crisp) with the Spencer clan--including Clay and ClayBoy. They resided on Spencer's Mountain.

Second, a few years later came The Homecoming, where we met the Walton clan....including John and JohnBoy. They abided (abade?) on Walton's Mountain. The Walton's seemed quite similar in many ways to the Spencer's Mountain thing, and it could be argued that Spencer's Mountain was a prequel.

Now the pieces for this thread...

In the Homecoming, we have Josephine Hutchinson as Mamie Baldwin and Dorothy Stickney as Emily Baldwin (the Baldwin Sisters who were constantly handing out Papa's Recipe...which was essentially moonshine). Stickney died on June 2, 1998 and Hutchinson died 2 days later on June 4, 1998.. Interesting....television sisters dieing so close to each other.

In the Television series the Waltons, Mary Jackson was Miss Emily and Helen Kleeb portrayed Miss Mamie. Jackson died in December of 2005 and Kleeb in December of 2003....note: They were both in December.

Additionally, Hutchinson {our first Miss Mamie) was born in Seattle Washington while Kleeb{the 2nd Miss Mamie) was born in South Bend, Washington....strange how both Mamies were born in the same state.

As to their creator, Hamner was born July 10, 1923 which is the same day as one John H. Bradley. Bradley was one of the 3 flag raisers on Iwo Jima back in WW2 (along with Ira Hayes and Rene Gangon). Bradley was born and schooled in Antigo Wisconsin, which is where my neighbor is from. Coincidence? Possibly not.

Now as promised here is that interesting connection between the gifted singer and actress Barbara McNair who was taken from us this past week (just one month to the day shy of her next birthday) and the Baldwins, Spencers and Waltons as well as a note on Iwo Jima.

A guy named Earl Henry Hamner Jr. wrote books (maybe he still does) and then had a few films and television runs.

First off he had Spencer's Mountain (final film of Donald Crisp) with the Spencer clan--including Clay and ClayBoy. They resided on Spencer's Mountain.

Second, a few years later came The Homecoming, where we met the Walton clan....including John and JohnBoy. They abided (abade?) on Walton's Mountain. The Walton's seemed quite similar in many ways to the Spencer's Mountain thing, and it could be argued that Spencer's Mountain was a prequel.

Now the pieces for this thread...

In the Homecoming, we have Josephine Hutchinson as Mamie Baldwin and Dorothy Stickney as Emily Baldwin (the Baldwin Sisters who were constantly handing out Papa's Recipe...which was essentially moonshine). Stickney died on June 2, 1998 and Hutchinson died 2 days later on June 4, 1998.. Interesting....television sisters dieing so close to each other.

In the Television series the Waltons, Mary Jackson was Miss Emily and Helen Kleeb portrayed Miss Mamie. Jackson died in December of 2005 and Kleeb in December of 2003....note: They were both in December.

Additionally, Hutchinson {our first Miss Mamie) was born in Seattle Washington while Kleeb{the 2nd Miss Mamie) was born in South Bend, Washington....strange how both Mamies were born in the same state.

As to their creator, Hamner was born July 10, 1923 which is the same day as one John H. Bradley. Bradley was one of the 3 flag raisers on Iwo Jima back in WW2 (along with Ira Hayes and Rene Gangon). Bradley was born and schooled in Antigo Wisconsin, which is where my neighbor is from. Coincidence? Possibly not.

im speechless

Guest Amerigo Vespucci

Are you aware that St. Valentine's Day is banned in Communist nations?

OK - so they are smarter than we are on some things.

OK - so they are smarter than we are on some things.

I didn't get even one card. I can't think why.

Probably because I don't give out my address to loners. ;)

I didn't get even one card. I can't think why.

Probably because I don't give out my address to loners. :(

I don't celebrate 'Valintines Day' instead I just sat crooked in my chair.

That's not a news story - women all over the world marry lifeless, uncommunicative, smelly, useful-only-when-stiff lumps of flesh every day.

• Like 1

I see this thread has devolved greatly in my absence.

In other news I see that the King of Prussia is now living in Pennsylvania.

I see this thread has devolved greatly in my absence.

In other news I see that the King of Prussia is now living in Pennsylvania.

Yes, return the Emperor of Germany I say!

Well, it;s; happened again.

This time it is the Kehoe family which is enduring a stranger than death oddity.

BETTY KEHOE, 85

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Betty H. Kehoe, a lifelong Staten Islander and Curtis High School graduate, died Tuesday in Staten Island University Hospital, Prince's Bay. She was 85.

Born Betty H. Henry in Stapleton, she was a lifelong member of the former First Presbyterian Church in that community.

She wed Thomas Kehoe Jr. in 1943 and, in 1956, the family moved from Stapleton to Oakwood.

Mrs. Kehoe worked as an executive secretary for the Ingersoll-Rand Company for about 25 years, retiring in the early 1980s.

Mrs. Kehoe and her husband enjoyed taking an annual trip to Williamsburg, Va., which they did for close to 20 years.

In addition to her son, Thomas III, surviving are her husband, Thomas Jr.; two more sons, James and Gary; six grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

The funeral service will be Saturday at 10 a.m. in the Casey-McCallum-Rice South Shore Funeral Home, Great Kills. Arrangements include cremation.

THOMAS KEHOE JR., 84

Friday, April 13, 2007

Lifelong Staten Islander Thomas Kehoe Jr., 84, of Oakwood, a retired salesman and World War II veteran, died yesterday in Staten Island University Hospital, Prince's Bay.

His wife, Betty, died on Tuesday

Born and reared in Stapleton, he attended Curtis High School.

From 1943 to 1945, during World War II, Mr. Kehoe served in the Army and saw action in the Battle of the Bulge.

He married Betty H. Henry in 1943 and, in 1956, the family settled in Oakwood.

For more than 40 years, Mr. Kehoe was a salesman. He retired in the mid-1980s.

Mr. Kehoe and his wife relished their annual trip to Williamsburg, Va., a tradition they adhered to for more than 20 years.

He was a member of the former First Presbyterian Church in Stapleton.

Surviving Mr. Kehoe are his three sons, Thomas III, James and Gary, six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

The joint funeral service will be tomorrow at 10 a.m. in the Casey-McCallum-Rice South Shore Funeral Home, Great Kills. Arrangements include cremation.

• Like 1