Death Watch Beatle

Marianne Faithfull

Maybe she just needs something to help boost her energy levels.

A Mars bar, perhaps?

This sort of cheap humours MARS this site. I think it should be BAR-red!

Thankfully it wasn't a Marathon session

snicker snicker.

Isn't this getting slightly Off-Topic?

You never know - it may give the site a Boost

Clearly there's a whole Galaxy of jokes here, but is it fair to still Mal-tease-her after all these years?

On the other hand, at her age, she probably Revels in this amusing modern legend and it still generates a Ripple of laughter whenever its brought up...Thank God Mick hadn't heard about Walnut Whips back then...

So she flaked out did she ?

I guess for her the song was true. It is the evening of the day.

Of course in her defense she is on a grueling circuit having released in Europe last September (on Uncle Wilfie's birthday) her 12th album and all the foot and legwork for publicity and the such for its January 2005 release in the U.S.

Not yet 60, she may well prove to be around for a while so perhaps you won't get to sit and watch as tears go by.

Heart attack kept her out of her role in A Picture of Dorian Gray. At 58 she's just quit smoking. Not a candidate for 2006 but there's a body that's seen some abuse. Bet it'll be a juggling act from now on as one vital organ after another starts crumbling under the pressure.

I'm almost positive she's been brought out before as a possible.

Marianne Faithfull has been diagnosed with breast cancer according to the BBC. The official line is that the prognosis is good. Worth tracking.

Wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

She'll be right as rain in six months. You mark my words.

Does she still smoke? Had a fairly hefty habit in that direction, not to mention drugs, once over.

Wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

She'll be right as rain in six months. You mark my words.

Indeed. Despite all the hullabaloo on the BBC pages, I'm not even going to put her on a longlist. She'll be fine.

I'm accusing the owld lass of nowt, right, but diagnosis in the earliest stages, a l'al bit treatment, some publicity and you could sell out a fairly modest tour like hers.

Just sayin' like. I predict a rash of singers long in the tooth flirting with life-threatening illness, cancelling gigs, recovering and cleaning up at the box office.

I'm accusing the owld lass of nowt, right, but diagnosis in the earliest stages, a l'al bit treatment, some publicity and you could sell out a fairly modest tour like hers.

Just sayin' like. I predict a rash of singers long in the tooth flirting with life-threatening illness, cancelling gigs, recovering and cleaning up at the box office.

MPFC, you are such a cynic. I knew there was something I genuinely liked about you. :rolleyes:

Not SUCH a cynic. This whole will they/won't they ever tour again nonesense works wonders for some acts. Fair play to The Eagles who had the sense of self-parody to stage a 'First Farewell Tour' the implication being that the 'Ninth Farewell' might take place when they're seventy odd. Then again, with the size of their fan base they can afford such stunts.

Consider - for example - the plight of UK Osmonds fans, probably shelling out full price for tickets for next year when they'll suffer David Essex, Showaddywaddy and David Cassidy for the sake of fifty minutes at most of a line-up barely fit to claim to be anything like a definitive outfit. I'll bet there's some agonising gone on there along the lines of 'I can't afford it but if I don't buy this ticket I might never see them again.'

Consider - for example - the plight of UK Osmonds fans, probably shelling out full price for tickets for next year when they'll suffer David Essex, Showaddywaddy and David Cassidy for the sake of fifty minutes at most of a line-up barely fit to claim to be anything like a definitive outfit. I'll bet there's some agonising gone on there along the lines of 'I can't afford it but if I don't buy this ticket I might never see them again.'

I must admit that the thought of Osmonds fans suffering doesn't exactly have me breaking down in tears.

• Like 1