RoverAndOut

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 3

7 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Does that mean whoever picked him gets the points again? 

Oooh, that could be a fun twist next time! :lol:

• Like 1

May be an image of 1 person, playing American football, playing football and text that says "B B C SPORT VALERIEN ISMAEL HAS BEEN SACKED BY WATFORD Former England internationa Tom Cleverley has been named interim manager at Vicarage Road."

Well, it's taken longer than usual but all those who had Watford as a banker can finally breathe a sigh of relief! Update coming up...

• Like 1

Ok, so the sacking of Valerien Ismael is the spur to get this back up to date. But we'll get to that. First, as our non-league correspondent @Great Uncle Bulgaria reported, we've had a hit in the National League South, where existence-threatened Torquay United have parted company with lower league journeyman Gary Johnson. This actually occurred in late February, after Torquay went into administration. He had previously led them from the National League South to the National League Play-Off final and a chance of regaining their league status - instead it has all gone very wrong sadly and I fear for their future. For football fans of a certain vintage, I'm sure we all say "Poor Hells Bells". https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68376328 This was a hit for @maryportfuncity and moves him onto 8 hits.

Elsewhere, non-scoring hits in the same league were provided by Dartford parting company with Alan Dowson in January, having dropped dramatically off the pace this season after reaching the National South Play-Off Final last year and Bradley Quinton this week leaving Hemel Hempstead who are drifting in lower mid-table. His replacement 'til the end of the season? Alan Dowson. The merry-go-round in full swing!

Today has seen Neil Warnock unceremoniously leave Aberdeen after no time at all, as it appears they may be appointing a new long-term manager in the near future. A non-scoring hit for many obvious reasons. But hold the front page, because tonight Watford have finally sacked Valerien Ismael after a run of 1 win in 10 left them marooned in 13th place in the Championship staring at (I think) a third straight season in the league. Tom Cleverley has been named interim manager until the end of the season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66680954 I think nothing sums up the perennial chaos at Watford better than this from the BBC article attached:

Since Sean Dyche left Vicarage Road in 2012, Gianfranco Zola, Giuseppe Sannino, Oscar Garcia, Billy McKinlay, Slavisa Jokanovic, Quique Sanchez Flores, Walter Mazzarri, Marco Silva, Javi Gracia, Nigel Pearson, Vladimir Ivic, Xisco Munoz, Claudio Ranieri, Roy Hodgson, Rob Edwards, Slaven Bilic and Chris Wilder have also had spells in charge.

The only shock was it took them until March this time around. Ismael's departure is a hit for 6 players in total, which means a few re-arrangements on the leaderboard! Leader @Great Uncle Bulgaria gets a 12th hit to hit the 60% mark, as does @Sly Ronnie who remains hot on his heels! I've reached halfway with my 10th hit and @Bibliogryphon moves into joint-4th with his 9th hit. Further down, both @MariNisia and @BuffaloPhil get a 7th hit to move off the bottom (yes, Phil! You're no longer bottom!) - sorry about that @Commtech Sio Bibble - but there's still time!

Updated Scoreboard

Great Uncle Bulgaria, Sly Ronnie - 12

Wannamaker, Rover and Out - 10

Lady Fiona, Bibliogryphon - 9

Maryportfuncity - 8

Diego, MariNisia, Buffalo Phil - 7

Commtech Sio Bibble - 6

• Thanks 5

On 04/08/2023 at 10:20, Sly Ronnie said:

David Moyes - West Ham

Rob Edwards - Luton T

Roy Hodgson - Crystal Palace

Julien Lopetegui - Wolves

Sean Dyche - Everton

Andoni Iraola - Bournemouth

Gary Rowett - Millwall

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Blackburn Rovers

Carlos Corberan - West Brom

Liam Rosenior - Hull City

Neil Warnock - Huddersfield T

Gareth Ainsworth - Queens Park Rangers

Xisco Munoz - Sheffield Wednesday

Valerien Ismael - Watford

Joey Barton - Bristol Rovers

Paul Warne - Derby County

Darren Ferguson - Peterborough Utd

Mark Hughes - Bradford City

Michael Beale - Rangers

Billy Dodds - Inverness Caledonian Thistle

I have 12 hits, don't I?

24 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

I have 12 hits, don't I?

You do indeed, and they have all been listed and catalogued in this here thread. Unfortunately, when Roy Hodgson left Palace, for some reason I didn't move your score on to 11, which is why you are 1 short. Now amended above - joint leaders!

On 26/10/2023 at 20:10, RoverAndOut said:

Looking at Sly Ronnie's team, there's not a huge number that feel unattainable this season. I'd say the last 4 standing could be:

David Moyes - solid enough start to the season and plenty of credit in the bag.

Rob Edwards - beloved at Luton and I don't see them being hasty unless there's a genuine chance of survival that they feel may be squandered.

Roy Hodgson - likely to retire if the going gets tough, but good start to the season.

Jon Dahl Tomasson - best chance is getting poached by someone, we don't want to lose him, but the project's changed and it's how long he's prepared to make do with what he's got.

Looking back through the thread to find the mistake, I also came across this gem from October, where I was looking at Sly Ronnie's prospects. Good predictions from me - 2 of the 4 have gone already and Moyes is on shaky ground! :lol:

I think we might be heading into a lull here because I think it is now too late to change your manager to make a real impact and change direction. When relegations and playoff misses become concrete we will probably see some more action

• Like 1

Gary Rowett back at Birmingham City in an interim role as Tony Mowbray recovers from surgery.

• Like 1

Bobby Wilkinson out suddenly 'by mutual consent' at Weymouth. Surprising both in terms of timing and results - he has taken a squad that stayed up on goal difference on the last day of last season which was subsequently shorn of its two main goalscorers into a creditable 'nearly safe if not yet mathematically so'  14th. As is ever the case, unhealthy speculation as to the real reason why he has gone is rife on social media.

• Thanks 1

Not many changes over the Easter period (perhaps Biblio is right that we're past the point of no return so time to see what happens at the end of the season before changing things!) but a couple of scores to update on.

As @Great Uncle Bulgaria has mentioned, Bobby Wilkinson has been relieved of his duties at Weymouth, seemingly to the surprise of everyone. He's not complaining too much, though, as it provides him with a 13th hit of the game!

Previously, I was aware that Andy Crosby had been sacked by Port Vale, but had somehow overlooked the fact that he had been picked in this game (he was listed among my misses!). That gives @diego an 8th hit of the game, moving him into joint-7th.

And, just for completion, Ian Foster was sacked yesterday by relegation-threatened Plymouth, but is ineligible in our game, due to replacing Steven Schumacher earlier in the season, who left to join Stoke.

Updated Scoreboard

Great Uncle Bulgaria - 13

Sly Ronnie - 11

Wannamaker, Rover and Out - 10

Lady Fiona, Bibliogryphon - 9

Diego, Maryportfuncity - 8

MariNisia, Buffalo Phil - 7

Commtech Sio Bibble - 6

• Like 3

On 09/03/2024 at 23:23, RoverAndOut said:

Bradley Quinton this week leaving Hemel Hempstead who are drifting in lower mid-table. His replacement 'til the end of the season? Alan Dowson. The merry-go-round in full swing!

Who (having failed to address the downward drift) has in turn been replaced by Bobby Wilkinson, who left Weymouth 2 weeks ago (see April 2 above)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Who (having failed to address the downward drift) has in turn been replaced by Bobby Wilkinson, who left Weymouth 2 weeks ago (see April 2 above)

Dowson was utterly clueless. Wilkinson a big step up. I'll definitely have to take part in next season's pool.

• Like 1

I doubt Phil Parkinson is about to leave considering Wrexham have been promoted to league 1.

Rotherham part company with their manager two weeks after relegation to League one was confirmed

He was only appointed a few weeks ago clearly with his mission to be to keep Rotherham in the Championship and failed but I think no-one should have been surprised at the outcome. In an extremely competitive league Rotherham have looked like an outlier for the entire season. Though as it stands it is looking like the bottom three are all Yorkshire clubs. Well hopefully Leeds will keep the Championship flag flying for Yorkshire next season (when they will be joined by Sheffield United)

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Rotherham part company with their manager two weeks after relegation to League one was confirmed

He was only appointed a few weeks ago clearly with his mission to be to keep Rotherham in the Championship and failed but I think no-one should have been surprised at the outcome. In an extremely competitive league Rotherham have looked like an outlier for the entire season. Though as it stands it is looking like the bottom three are all Yorkshire clubs. Well hopefully Leeds will keep the Championship flag flying for Yorkshire next season (when they will be joined by Sheffield United)

Replaced by Stevenage's Steve Evans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Replaced by Stevenage's Steve Evans.

So, if you want to watch the beautiful game in Rotherham next season, keep your eyes on the visiting teams!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Neil Collins sacked with just one game to go at Barnsley.. not picked by anyone though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cp9gkg71gwyo

Bear in  mind they're in a playoff position (5th) but the two teams just outside the playoffs could overhaul them on Saturday. Barnsley and the two teams just outside (Oxford and Blackpool) all have games against teams with nothing to play for so the form book says Barnsley are in the playoffs, but still a daft time to ditch the manager, unless you've tapped up a better one and that person's in place by 12-30 Saturday

8 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Bear in  mind they're in a playoff position (5th) but the two teams just outside the playoffs could overhaul them on Saturday. Barnsley and the two teams just outside (Oxford and Blackpool) all have games against teams with nothing to play for so the form book says Barnsley are in the playoffs, but still a daft time to ditch the manager, unless you've tapped up a better one and that person's in place by 12-30 Saturday

We could do with a few more points if the EFL decide to fuck us over yet again with a 9 point deduction. If we beat Blackpool and Cheltenham remain on 41, then we'll breathe easier.

36 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

We could do with a few more points if the EFL decide to fuck us over yet again with a 9 point deduction. If we beat Blackpool and Cheltenham remain on 41, then we'll breathe easier.

Aye, a fair point - Carlisle could do with the four teams above them being deducted 20 points each!

Even the EFL wouldn't contemplate that!

Rob Dray out at relegated Taunton in National League South (Southern Premier next year).

Bit harsh, they've had financial problems compounded by the fact that their pitch regularly floods in bad weather and they got massively behind with their fixtures and had a run at the end catching up. At one stage of the season they also had a ground sharing  arrangement with Truro (also in NLS) so their pitch got a double pummelling at times.

• Like 2