RoverAndOut

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 3

36 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Don't get this one at all. How does finishing 2nd bottom of and getting relegated from the PL (even finishing below Luton who had a far worse squad) qualify you for one of the biggest jobs in European club football?

Valid question. On the other hand, why should it automatically disqualify you?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, time said:

Valid question. On the other hand, why should it automatically disqualify you?

Because some of the characteristics displayed during last season (unwillingness to change a system that was clearly not working, inability to sort out a sieve-like defence, failure to replace a goalkeeper who was not up to standard until too late in the day) are not what you  look for in a top manager.

Maybe he will do fairly well with a much better squad that will be the best in the league and able to play the way he wants to. If you'd put Pep in charge of last season's Sheffield United squad that would have no doubt ended the same way as Heckingbottom/Wilder's tenure too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Because some of the characteristics displayed during last season (unwillingness to change a system that was clearly not working, inability to sort out a sieve-like defence, failure to replace a goalkeeper who was not up to standard until too late in the day) are not what you  look for in a top manager.

Maybe he will do fairly well with a much better squad that will be the best in the league and able to play the way he wants to. If you'd put Pep in charge of last season's Sheffield United squad that would have no doubt ended the same way as Heckingbottom/Wilder's tenure too.

If reports are to be believed Kompany was the 8th choice for the position, so my assumption is that by this time Bayern were looking for reasons why they should hire him, rather  than reasons they shouldn't. I suspect it was Burnley's performance in 2022-23 season, plus the Guardiola influence, that got him the job more than anything. Still, this time next year we'll see if their gamble paid off

Keeping the seat for Klopp, I reckon.

• Like 1

Kompany at Bayern and Maresca at Chelsea are both appointments with the great modern delusion: that somehow working with Guardiola bestows magical managerial powers upon you. It's a bit like when any plodder that played for Ferguson was being given a Prem touchline gig in the early 2000s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Kompany at Bayern and Maresca at Chelsea are both appointments with the great modern delusion: that somehow working with Guardiola bestows magical managerial powers upon you. It's a bit like when any plodder that played for Ferguson was being given a Prem touchline gig in the early 2000s.

That delusion contiunes to this day with the repeated appointment of Wayne Rooney to management positions

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Remember back when Ferguson was Manchester United manager, a very vocal group were insistent that the success was all down to (youth team then assistant manager) Brian Kidd? Went to Blackburn and promptly got them relegated.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, time said:

Remember back when Ferguson was Manchester United manager, a very vocal group were insistent that the success was all down to (youth team then assistant manager) Brian Kidd? Went to Blackburn and promptly got them relegated.

Oh I remember... we were relegated at home with a draw against United and Fergie said in his Sky interview afterwards that we had one more game to go and if we got a result you never know and the interviewer informed him that we were already relegated with the draw and Fergie played dumb.

Kidd staggered through to about November, when we were stuck in mid-table in the second tier and was put out of his misery. Long-time caretaker Tony Parkes took over for the rest of the season and we hired Graeme Souness just before the end of the season. Bounced straight back the next season.

Few years later, we tried the same trick again with Paul Ince and that went equally badly.

On 30/05/2024 at 13:01, Spade_Cooley said:

I wonder which manager will be fired first, Kompany or Hansi Flick.

So, today Enzo Maresca's slightly bizarre promotion from Championship Leicester to Europa Conference League Chelsea has been confirmed. In my eyes it will all end in tears but we'll see. Anyway, I'm not complaining as it bags me a point! And also @ladyfiona and @MariNisia, who moves up to halfway complete! Poor Commtech now the only one not quite at 50%, but 6 points separates the field.

Updated Scoreboard

Great Uncle Bulgaria - 15

Sly Ronnie - 14

Wannamaker, Rover and Out - 12

Diego, Lady Fiona - 11

MariNisia, Bibliogryphon, Maryportfuncity, Buffalo Phil - 10

Commtech Sio Bibble - 9

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Poor Commtech now the only one not quite at 50%, but 6 points separates the field.

Even if I don't get anymore, as someone who has probably not watch more than a dozen football games in my life, I'm proud of myself.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

So, today Enzo Maresca's slightly bizarre promotion from Championship Leicester to Europa Conference League Chelsea has been confirmed. In my eyes it will all end in tears but we'll see.

There is no way he is seeing out all five years of that contract. Five months maybe.

There may be a knock on effect depending on who Leicester appoint. Michael Carrick's name has been mentioned (one of nearly a dozen names I have seen but the only one on my team)

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

There is no way he is seeing out all five years of that contract. Five months maybe.

There may be a knock on effect depending on who Leicester appoint. Michael Carrick's name has been mentioned (one of nearly a dozen names I have seen but the only one on my team)

I believe he's just signed an extension at Middlesbrough, which would be odd if he knew the interest from Leicester...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I believe he's just signed an extension at Middlesbrough, which would be odd if he knew the interest from Leicester...

I didn't think it was a realistic choice just one that would score me points

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I didn't think it was a realistic choice just one that would score me points

Steve Cooper perhaps?

43 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Steve Cooper perhaps?

Last I heard was Van Nistelrooy

1. Gareth Southgate.

2. Not sure I know that many more football managers. Whoever is at ManU:  Erik Ten-Shun or summat.

Yes yes, I know I know nothing about football and also suspect that the National Team is outside the rules.

But the little football I do watch? I suddenly remember why I don't watch.

New tour dates - anyone wanna take a bet on when they're searching for new talent in the dug out?

448659912_3808504602717919_9995946688838

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

10th November

After a humbling at the King Power, Biblio? :lol:

• Haha 1

He'll be alright until February I reckon.

6 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Not a hit in this game.

On 04/06/2024 at 06:05, Bibliogryphon said:

On 04/06/2024 at 13:46, RoverAndOut said:

Steve Cooper perhaps?

However, if the game was "predict who clubs will appoint" I'd have had a hit today. :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1