Lafaucheuse

French Deathlist 2024

43 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Frederic Mitterand dead at 76

An other hit for the French Deathlist !

• Like 1

Oh my 8th hit ! With 4 deaths in february and now 3 in march it makes 1 death / week since the 1st feb... I don't know if all these old people don't want to live the heaven of Olympic games, but it's specially a french year

• Thanks 1

Babar writer Laurent de Brunhoff dead at 98.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, tracy said:

Again ? +8… well two obits to come. +6 for my personnal list, it’s a deluge 

On 22/03/2024 at 23:48, tracy said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Babar was one of the hero in my childhood ! RIP to these talentuous writer...although it was his father Jean de Brunhoff who created Babar, nevermind thanks to the Brunhoff family who by their talent marked my childhood.

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Again ? +8… well two obits to come. +6 for my personnal list, it’s a deluge 

Me too, it's also my 6th hit ! These year is deadly for French personalities, they drop like flies.

I’m currently taking a week end abroad (hence the delay in obits) and while checking our list this morning while waiting for the plane, I tried to imagine which pick could be hits. I underestimated de Brunhoff who, I thought, had good chances to see his centenary. Wasn’t expecting such a quick follow up less it be him. Lots of low hanging fruits there, we might make it around 18-20 if we continue in that pace. 8 in only 3 months sounds amazing, all the more so for their popularity

Is there a sign of destiny ? Back in 2011, Frederic Mitterrand (at these time French minister for Culture) awarded to Laurent de Brunhoff the title of Commandeur of Arts and Letters (Honorary Title for French artist who made great things) at an official ceremony in Paris and twelve years later, in 2024, both die one day appart.

• Like 1

21 march 2024

Hit n°7

59e9afa_5975542-01-06.jpg.c7f3d39c0bb219eb52cb663e69e899b7.jpg

Mitterrand : enterrement 

Former minister of culture and TV personality Frederic Mitterrand has died aged 76, becoming the second hit of march for our common french deathlist. Mitterrand, nephew of François, was born in 1937 in Paris and started his political career by playing in a movie aged 12, alongside Michèle Morgan and Bourvil. After the great success of such a talentuous acting career, he ended up teaching economy and history in Paris, before producing minor movies and TV shows during the 1980's. He then moved on to become a TV host, specialized in monarchies and history. At the same time, he began his institutional and political career, which led him to be the Director of the Villa Medicis in Rome in 2008 and ultimately, Minister of Culture between 2009 and 2012 for which he was most famous. His role as minister of culture was particularly well-received and was considered as one of the most influential and important one, alongside the ones of André Malraux and Jack Lang. In the meantime, he wrote several books and continued his cultural sponsorship which owed him to be seen as one of the most erudite public figures on the French scene and allowed him to be considered to join the Académie Française. In the end, he was not retained, due to silly accusations of paedocriminality : after having wrote in his 2005 autobiography that he frequently payed for the service of young thaï boys in Bangkok, he didn't understand the public condemnation to which he was subjected and rejected all accusation of criminal practices. Death seems to have clear all charges against him, given the unanimous tributes to the scholar that he was. Mitterrand died after a year battle with cancer and becomes the 7th hit of our 2024 list which showed to be particularly productive. He was selected this year at the n°20 spot. 

• Like 3

22 march 2024

Hit 8

001ff746-614.thumb.jpg.577db3ba5ec3e0e72f4db31a8691beb5.jpg

Laurent de Brunh-off  

Babar's second father, Laurent de Brunhoff has died to provide our deathlist with a back-to-back success. De Brunhoff was born in 1925 in Paris in a illustrious family : his great-grandfather, Oscar the 1st was king of Norway and Sweden, his uncle Michel de Brunhoff, the founder of Vogue Paris and some other famous fashion magazines, and his own father was the creator of the worldly famous child comic book Babar. At the death of his father in 1937, Laurent de Brunhoff took control of the Babar's company at the young age of 13. He then produced 15 additional albums in the legacy of this father and became one of the most famous and prolixe french illustrators. He moved to the United States in his later life and died there aged 98 from complication of a stroke, to become the 8th hit of our list. He was selected this year at n°36 and even though we thought he had good chances of reaching 100, his death is a good reminder that not everyone who makes it to 98 makes it to 99… There is no teller when this deluge of hits will stop !

• Like 8

On 31/12/2023 at 17:04, Lafaucheuse said:

1.                  103                                                                                   Philippe de Gaulle                                                                                   admiral and nepo-baby 

2.                  102                                                                                      Roland Dumas                                                                                      former Foreign Minister

3.                  103                                                                                        Edgar Morin                                                                                 philosopher and sociologist

4.                  102                                                                                    Micheline Presle                                                                                                                actress

5.                   96                                                                                    Jean-Marie Le Pen                                                                                                             neo nazi

6.                   96                                                                                         Line Renaud                                                                                                                    the Line 

7.                   90                                                                                                   Brigitte Bardot                                                                                                                           BB

8.                   89                                                                                         Alain Delon                                                                                             actor and ego-centrist 

9.                  102                                                                                      Jean Malaurie                                                                              explorer and anthropologist

10.                 91                                                                                     Bernadette Chirac                                                                                        Madame prout-prout

11.                 94                                                                                                 Philippe Bouvard                                                                                                                TV host

12.                 80                                                                                      Françoise Hardy                                                                                                                   singer

13.                 95                                                                                     Edouard Balladur                                                                                        former prime minister

14.                 96                                                                                                 Robert Badinter                                                                                 former minister of justice

15.                 95                                                                                      François Cheng                                                                                            author, academician 

16.                 97                                                                                     Geneviève Page                                                                                                                   actress

17.                 81                                                                                      Charles Biétry                                                                                                        sport journalist

18.                 89                                                                                       Bernard Pivot                                                                                              author and journalist

19.                 63                                                                                       Florent Pagny                                                                                                   singer, songwriter 

20.                 77                                                                                   Frédéric Mitterrand                                                touche à tout (especially young thaï boys)

21.                 85                                                                                     Brigitte Fontaine                                                                                                        touche à tout 

22.                 73                                                                                    Catherine Laborde                                                                                                        weather-girl

23.                 88                                                                                     Jacques Balutin                                                                                                                       actor

24.                103                                                                                 André Chandernagor                                                                   former European Affair Minister

25.                 87                                                                                       Maryse Condé                                                                                                                      author

26.                 94                                                                                        Gilles Jacob                                                                                           film critic and essayist 

27.                 90                                                                                         Claude Zidi                                                                                                              screenwriter 

28.                 90                                                                                  Marie-France Garaud                                                                                   presidential candidate 

29.                 92                                                                                    Marthe Villalonga                                                                                                                 actress

30.                100                                                                                       Anne Vernon                                                                                                                      actress 

31.                 95                                                                                     Charles Dumont                                       Composer, songwriter ("Non Je Ne Regrette Rien") 

32.                 98                                                                                       Judith Magre                                                                                                                      actress

33.                 95                                                                                      Claire Maurier                                                                                                                      actress 

34.                 98                                                                                   Jean-Pierre Serre                                                                                                     mathematician 

35.                 99                                                                                   Raphaël Géminiani                                                                                                                  cyclist

36.                 99                                                                                  Laurent de Brunhoff                                                                                                          illustrator 

37.                 90                                                                                   Nadine Trintignant                                                                                      filmmaker and novelist

38.                 96                                                                                      Laurence Badie                                                                                                                 actress

39.                 95                                                                                      André Darrigade                                                                                                                    cyclist

40.                 89                                                                                       Aldo Maccione                                                                                                                      actor 

41.                 92                                                                                         Petula Clark                                                                                                                        singer 

42.                 89                                                                                          Guy Gilbert                                                                                                                punk priest

43.                 95                                                                                           Alejandro Jodorowsky                                                                                  avant-garde filmmaker 

44.                 87                                                                                   Jean Paul Guerlain                                                                                                             Perfumer 

45.               100                                                                                      Roger Guillemin                                                                                                    neuroscientist  

46.                80                                                                                    Jean-Pierre Léaud                                                                                                                     actor

47.                93                                                                                        Gérard Mulliez                                                                                                               billionaire 

48.                91                                                                                    Gérard Hernandez                                                                                                                      actor

49.                77                                                                                      Isabelle Balkany                                                                                       politician and fraudster 

50.                72                                                                                             Renaud                                                                                                                             singer 

It's a very impressive and well-researched list. list. I'm particularly engaged by the fact you've got so many hits so early in the year.

One question: are you entirely sure that Number 41 Petula Clark has taken French citizenship? (I know that she's lived there for decades, but is she fully naturalised?)

3 hours ago, millwall32 said:

It's a very impressive and well-researched list. list. I'm particularly engaged by the fact you've got so many hits so early in the year.

One question: are you entirely sure that Number 41 Petula Clark has taken French citizenship? (I know that she's lived there for decades, but is she fully naturalised?)

Petula Clark lives in Geneva, she lost her French husband Claude Wolff some days ago…Out of this, I don’t know if she has taken French citizenship, but with Brexit, there is a possiblity in that sense.

2 hours ago, La Tombe said:

Petula Clark lives in Geneva, she lost her French husband Claude Wolff some days ago…Out of this, I don’t know if she has taken French citizenship, but with Brexit, there is a possiblity in that sense.

Then , technically, should she still be on your otherwise excellent list?

I would agree she doesn't belong on the list. Lives mainly in Geneva. She has another residence close to my aunt in London. The place in the French Alps sounds like a place where she goes on holiday.

I have a time share in Tenerife. I'm not fucking Spanish.

13 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I would agree she doesn't belong on the list. Lives mainly in Geneva. She has another residence close to my aunt in London. The place in the French Alps sounds like a place where she goes on holiday.

I have a time share in Tenerife. I'm not fucking Spanish.

I tend to agree. But all this could be solved by finding out if Petula Clark is actually French/ has joint citizenship. 

I've had a hunt around and I can't find out.
It would be a shame to invalidate all @La Faucheuse's hard work on a point of accuracy.

But we don't want to be sloppy with facts either.

• Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, millwall32 said:

It would be a shame to invalidate all @La Faucheuse's hard work on a point of accuracy.

I was warned of the pedantry that could reign here, I did not expect it to arise in such a petty way.

In any case, and if the choice of Madame Petula Clark in the French deathlist does not suit these gentlemen, and in order to avoid extreme acts. We could consider :

1. removing Madame from the list and replacing her with another
2. removing Madame from the list without replacing her.

3. Or we can keep her and consider her enough French because she sung "La Gadoue".

Those are my suggestion, I don't know the case law on the matter.

Petula Clark was chosen due to her long and illustrious career in France. She may not be french per se (I can’t find any info about french citizenship) but we did say « francophone personalities » and not « french » on the first page with the rules. Petula has had a long history with France which, we commonly thought, was enough to include her in a french speaking deathlist. This choice may be controversial but we can’t delete her now. Maybe we’ll replace her for next year, as she was in competition with Leslie Caron. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bestparolanto said:

I was warned of the pedantry that could reign here, I did not expect it to arise in such a petty way.

The pedantry is grammar-related.  Accuracy and keeping to the rules is not pedantry.

The rules for the list specify "French-speaking personalities (and not exclusively French per se)" and so Petula Clark certainly qualifies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bestparolanto said:

In any case, and if the choice of Madame Petula Clark in the French deathlist does not suit these gentlemen, and in order to avoid extreme acts. We could consider :

1. removing Madame from the list and replacing her with another
2. removing Madame from the list without replacing her.

3. Or we can keep her and consider her enough French because she sung "La Gadoue".

Those are my suggestion, I don't know the case law on the matter.

Do you really find it pedantic to point out that someone on a French Deathlist might not be French?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Petula Clark was chosen due to her long and illustrious career in France. She may not be french per se (I can’t find any info about french citizenship) but we did say « francophone personalities » and not « french » on the first page with the rules. Petula has had a long history with France which, we commonly thought, was enough to include her in a french speaking deathlist. This choice may be controversial but we can’t delete her now. Maybe we’ll replace her for next year, as she was in competition with Leslie Caron. 

I see what you're saying.

So , for example, could Bob Dylan be on your list on the grounds that he was given the Legion d'Honneur in 2013?

Or Woody Allen on the grounds that he's conducted TV interviews in French?

• Like 1

How far does this go?

If I have a soiree at the weekend, with vol-au-vents and aperitifs, followed by a meal including an entree and a dessert of croquembouche (that's profiteroles you know), then a stroll around the garden pointing out my plants flowering in their jardinieres, glass of champagne in hand, for example?

(I am joking here of course, it's somebody's pool with their rules, which you just look upon).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

If I have a soiree at the weekend, with vol-au-vents and aperitifs, followed by a meal including an entree and a dessert of croquembouche (that's profiteroles you know), then a stroll around the garden pointing out my plants flowering in their jardinieres, glass of champagne in hand, for example?

Then I'd say you've a reasonable chance of declaring yourself, or your guests, eligible for a French Deathlist as you've clearly been lying to all of us for a while about living anywhere near Glasgow at all.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

A dessert of croquembouche (that's profiteroles you know)

First time I ever heard this word ! I looked it up on google, but that’s not profiteroles, it’s a kind of pièce montée (pastry served at weddings)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

First time I ever heard this word ! I looked it up on google, but that’s not profiteroles, it’s a kind of pièce montée (pastry served at weddings)

Ah.

A critique. (French you know).

Look, I'm only going off Masterchef watching, it was profiteroles then. ;)

1 hour ago, millwall32 said:

I see what you're saying.

So , for example, could Bob Dylan be on your list on the grounds that he was given the Legion d'Honneur in 2013?

Or Woody Allen on the grounds that he's conducted TV interviews in French?

As far as I can see, neither Bob Dylan or Woody Allen made half of their career in France, But feel free to join our committee if you have some more useful names to give :) 

To end this debate, we stick to Clark being on the list, Linda de Suza for example, despite being Portuguese, would have been qualified for our list as she based her career essentially on french market. I repeat, this is a french speaking deathlist. I suspect we will just keep Clark’s until her demise  to piss people like you who don’t understand her impact in France and why she belongs in such a list.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1