Guest danny

1987 - "Any one beatle" ?

Guest danny

How can any one beatle qualify as one person? Doesn't that break the rules?

Well that is a good point, however the 1987 DeathList was the first list and the refinements that came in in later years hadnt yet been implemented.

In any case in was many years before George Harrison eventually went. In those days we still had a lot to learn!

Cheers

DeathList Committee

Guest danny

where can i get a copy of "the rules?"

Of course the best thing about the DeathList rules is that they are unwritten :P

However extract from the home page:

"The only main rules in compiling the Deathlist is that no more than 25 of the candidates must have appeared on the previous year's list and that the candidates must be famous enough to ensure that their deaths are newsworthy (in the UK at least)."

One other rule that springs to mind is that nominations are not allowed for people who are only famous for the fact that they are about to die - so for example David Blaine might not be allowed this year :P

That didn't stop us picking John Diamond a couple of years ago

That is of course rubbish - John Diamond was a well respected journalist for the Times who had had a more than adequate level of famousness before his announcement of terminal cancer. :P

And of course he was also famous for being married to whatshername.

Oooohhhhh tetchy - keep your hat on.

Can you be famous solely for be married to someone famous. I need clarity.

You most certainly can be famous for being married to somebody famous

eg Denis Thatcher, Duke of Edinburgh to name but two

That's an excellent illustration Mr Reaper. I'll immediately widen my investigative search engine.

I have an excuse for not being busy - what's yours?

Well Mr Stats as you should be aware DeathList work is always top of the pile!

I decided to see which topic was bottom of the pile so to speak, and it was this one - no new posts since October 11 2003 . . .

. . . and now I've gone and spoilt it.

DWB :dead:

I decided to see which topic was bottom of the pile so to speak, and it was this one - no new posts since October 11 2003 . . .

Taking a cue from MPFC are we? :D

DWB :D

O gods, we have a Necromancer on board. :dead:

regards,

Hein

Must admit to some slackness on my part, and wasn't aware this exercise had been done recently.

Note to self: Read the posts on the site you are supposed to Admin!

DWB :D

O gods, we have a Necromancer on board. :D

regards,

Hein

I did it to generate a few posts, a cheap shot, but it seemed to work.

well revived DWB. "Any one Beatle" will probably always remain one of the great DL picks, in no small part due to its vagueness and overall unlikelihood at the time. As has been pointed out before, back then the DL was quite like Viz comic at the time (or soon thereafter) - a bit random, hilariously entertaining, badly drawn (I believe GR still holds the original parchment on which the list was first drawn up), and not nearly as safe and pandering to corporate success as is today's version. But times, and objectives, change.

"The only main rules in compiling the Deathlist is that no more than 25 of the candidates must have appeared on the previous year's list"

Is there any rules regarding as to syntax?

But times, and objectives, change.

Why? Is Deathlist planning to go commercial? Will we see adverts or site sponsors? Is there something to sell apart from the mugs? What are its new objectives?

DWB :)

Why? Is Deathlist planning to go commercial? Will we see adverts or site sponsors? Is there something to sell apart from the mugs? What are its new objectives?

The focus in recent years of the DL has been to go for the maximum number of deaths, which results in people being selected more for their age than the interest that would be created were they to die. I'm curious, who would have voted for Stanley Kunitz and who would have voted for Pete Doherty, had they been given a vote for this year's list? Did Kunitz' death have any emotional impact other than getting us hit number 5 (and thankfully keeping us availed of iain's wisdom and insight)? Personally, I'd have gone for Doherty 100 times out of 100.

The focus in recent years of the DL has been to go for the maximum number of deaths, which results in people being selected more for their age than the interest that would be created were they to die. I'm curious, who would have voted for Stanley Kunitz and who would have voted for Pete Doherty, had they been given a vote for this year's list? Did Kunitz' death have any emotional impact other than getting us hit number 5 (and thankfully keeping us availed of iain's wisdom and insight)? Personally, I'd have gone for Doherty 100 times out of 100.

CR you always talk sense, well mostly. I agree. Certain people like Kunitz should have a deathbore rating. I would give high DB ratings on the current list to Brooke Astor, Oscar Niemeyer, Ladybird Johnson, Byron Nelson, Bouteflika and Aaron Spelling. If ratings were discussed at the annual list meeting these dull names could be replaced by more entertaining figures. Style over substance every time.

Don't agree, substance in this context is the immenent danger of death, which in our warped view often equates to 'style' or at least entertainment value in a person. If we went wall to wall with spectacular human train wrecks like Pete Doherty and Diego Maradonna we'd create tedium of a different kind.

O gods, we have a Necromancer on board. :angry:

regards,

Hein

More a kind of anabiosis I think.

I think we could usefully add the term above to another thread: Anabiosis Sharon anybody?

I know, I know, it's a pathetic excuse to resurrect 'Any One Beatle', but if the Dickie O squad can do it...

Let's just hope the Coral or the f*****g Zutons aren't booked to appear.

"Brookside and Hollyoaks creator Phil Redmond is now the creative force behind next year's celebrations". So we can expect Jimmy Corkhill in a modern dance version of Waiting for Godot, then.

Assuming you added in the surviving Pete Best and two others who are - legally speaking - Beatles, i.e. Yoko and Olivia, you might have a long shot in the 2008 Poolofdeath 'any one' team.

Mind, my any one Deep Purple that allows me a team of ten this year, hasn't come close to cashing in.