weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Guest IYG

My head hurts from that length, there should be a limit to how much someone can write in one post and if there is a limit, make is smaller.

If they typed it all themselves, I am impressed, but I fear a copy and paste job. I am sure that a link to the forum all the info came from would have served the same purpose.

And so, with the powers vested in me as a Moderator, anyone wishing to see all the info can check out the Victoria Cross forum.

PS - I realise it makes the last couple of posts seem a little strange, but if you check out the forum thread, you will realise how much was posted!

Guest Guest

Aussie Vet Peter Casserly died couple a days ago 106, only 2 aussie WWI vets remain

Aussie Vet Peter Casserly died couple a days ago 106, only 2 aussie WWI vets remain

They seem to be fading awful quickly. :devil:

From the free (as in they can only give it away) paper Metro today:

One of the last 13 surviving British veterans of World War I has died aged 108. Alfred Finnigan (pictured) was an artillery driver in the Battle of the Somme in 1916. Although a bullet passed within centimetres of his head, his only was wound was a bite from a horse. Kathy Page, 73, said of her uncle from Carmarthen: 'The horrors he saw never left him.'

his only war wound was a bite from a horse. Kathy Page, 73, said of her uncle from Carmarthen: 'The horrors he saw never left him.'

I see his problem, I don't like horses either.

I'm allergic to horses - do you suppose a horse bite could kill me :)

That probably depends on where it bit.........

Paris?

That probably depends on where it bit.........

Paris?

No from my post, I presume it's the Somme.

Guest Jonathan

Does anyone have any idea how many German or Austrian soldiers of the Great War are still alive?

I found a forum on WW1 survivors if anyone is interested.

No idea why we are discussing this as they are not famous in the real sense of the word.

By the way, DL is googles number 1 site when searching 'WW1 survivors' so you can expect a bunch of grumpy old ranters (if they can use a computer at that age).

Guest Jonathan

Thanks Tempus Fugit.

Does anyone have any idea how many German or Austrian soldiers of the Great War are still alive?

None,the last old soldier to fight for the Kaiser was Charles Kuentz who died in April '05.

further proof that the Nazis were a bunch of Kuentz....

I could point out that there weren't any "Nazis" in World War One, but I won't bother ...

I could point out that there weren't any "Nazis" in World War One, but I won't bother ...

Adolf Hitler and Ernest Rohm to name a few. The two highest ranking members of the German High Command, Ludendorff and Hindenburg, were Nazi sympathizers. Ludendorff especially.

Formed in 1919 if my memory serves me correctly, but some would argue that some aspects of Nazism in Germany existed long before the party was formed. The Nazis just took it a bit far.

I suspect that it would be headline (or near enough) headline news when it is learned that the last WWI veteren has died, probably in the next four or five years...

I suspect that it would be headline (or near enough) headline news when it is learned that the last WWI veteren has died, probably in the next four or five years...

Possible, although that doesn't make the person himself famous. When a plane crashes that makes headlines, and they often publish the pilot's name, but that wouldn't qualify the pilot for the DL.