weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_Vet...First_World_War

says there are 85 left but some plonker has included two from a TV documentary shown recently. All very well & good but those two have since died as the programme is three years old.

It is pretty certain that Ross of Australia, the three Canadians & most of the British-based veterans, especially Patch & Allingham will get enough coverage when they die.

Guest Toke Deltorso

" Bless um all " :P

Henry Allingham is Amazing!

The man, who is 109, is going round the country to meet the other 10 survivors of the First World War! As far as I know, they have not ruled out flying to Australia to meet the 3 who live there, though I can't see it happening.

British World War survivors, only Lawton has died recently - it's Italy's turn to take a toll - the total's still around 80 worldwide.

The man, who is 109, is going round the country to meet the other 10 survivors of the First World War! As far as I know, they have not ruled out flying to Australia to meet the 3 who live there, though I can't see it happening.

British World War survivors, only Lawton has died recently - it's Italy's turn to take a toll - the total's still around 80 worldwide.

Ye gads, I'm glad I didn't pick him for my DDP!

Hopefully this dispells the "old people are old therefore they will die" attitude of some people...

Hopefully this dispells the "old people are old therefore they will die" attitude of some people...

I may be stating the obvious but "old people will die because they are old"???

Surely everyone will die at some point, and basic statistics show that older people are more likely to die at any given time than young people, all else being equal.

Old age doesn't really cut it in my dictionary. There is always a cause of death but I suppose it may be brought on by old age.

Surely everyone will die at some point, and basic statistics show that older people are more likely to die at any given time than young people, all else being equal.

Which is why DL should endeavour to discover the unequal :o

Guest Gordon

One less pension to pay!

Actually only 80% of people who have ever lived have died. So statistically its by no means certain that all people will die.

I believe that his regiment were issued moisturiser with their rations. It certainly worked.

Actually only 80% of people who have ever lived have died. So statistically its by no means certain that all people will die.

I thought it was closer to 97%?

I thought it was closer to 97%?

Lies, damn lies...etc.

Guest Guest

Yes Lady die I think you are probably right. I retrieved the figure from distant memory but the link below clarifies current thinking. It appears to be about 94.5%

How many ever lived

This isn't really a fair contest. 81 WW1 survivors vs 3 Titanic survivors.

I was looking up supercenturians and stumbled upon this Wiki entry regarding living World War I veterans. According to this there are only 81 from either side left. So I think the odds are better that that WWI veterans will handily outlive the titanic survivors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_vet...First_World_War

They may technically be veterans, but how many of them actually fought in a battle.

Quite a few of them on this list never saw any action, so I wouldn't really class them as veterans.

They may technically be veterans, but how many of them actually fought in a battle.

Quite a few of them on this list never say any action, so I wouldn't really class them as veterans.

Are theTitanic survivors veterans?

Living Titanic Survivors for those who are interested in the remaining three and some statistics.

Keep in mind though that almost every World War I veteran is at least five years older than the oldest Titanic Survivor, which means a lot into your hundreds. I think the odds are still on the veterans, but it's just something to consider.