Death list boy

1. Jimmy Carter

MyMango is expecting "DEAD" as the update.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, drol said:

MyMango is expecting "DEAD" as the update.

someone needs to write mymango x jimmy carter fanfiction

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, jimbean1121 said:

it would make a lot of sense

It contributed to all of us still being alive; that was still heavy Cold War years. 

Well, the surprise announcement is a music collection and a live concert in September. They want to wish him an early 100th birthday.

Isn't that giving bad luck?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Well, the surprise announcement is a music collection and a live concert in September. They want to wish him an early 100th birthday.

Isn't that giving bad luck?

71BAVn-SJnL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Can't think what you mean.

• Like 9

I see we will have another Khamtai Siphandone scenario. Of course, both of them will be announced dead... when they hit 110.

• Facepalm 3

Tells his son, Chip Carter, that he wants to live long enough to vote for Kamala Harris. Article says he has been more alert and following politics and the war in Gaza lately. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

I kind of thought he'll die shortly after voting. Didn't he want Joe Biden to give his eulogy? Though I wonder if he thinks now that Joe wouldn't do a good job so he'll have to last until Kamala is in.

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I kind of thought he'll die shortly after voting. Didn't he want Joe Biden to give his eulogy? Though I wonder if he thinks now that Joe wouldn't do a good job so he'll have to last until Kamala is in.

Biden has made attending funerals "his thing." I can't remember another politician delivering so many eulogies and going to funerals over official business. The idea is that the deaths of his wife, daughter, and son make him more empathetic. 

Biden and Carter also have a close relationship, with Biden being the first Democratic Senator to endorse Carter in 1976. Considering Carter famously did not get along with Congress at all (even his fellow Democrats), this is worth noting. I think Carter would be fine with either Biden or Harris delivering a eulogy. Harris is also a baptist, like Carter (though he no longer affiliates with the national Southern Baptists).

Carter does generally lean to the left compared to Clinton/Obama (he even says he voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 primary), so maybe he feels refreshed by Harris being slightly further to the left of Biden, especially on Israel/Palestine, one of the issues Carter is most passionate about.

Sorry for the long post! I've been reading Carter's biography "His Very Best" and have gone on a deep dive about his presidency and post-presidency, so I feel like I have a general idea about what he thinks about this situation. 

• Like 8

On 30/07/2024 at 14:04, odeon said:

can't overstate that. would almost say carter has done more for the world than any us president since like ww2 at least

Well, I'd say he's beyond dispute as the most consequential and significant ex-president, certainly in terms of useful work done on behalf of humanity since leaving The White House. With all due respects to the Obamas' tie-in with Netflix, they're nowhere near Carteresque levelsl of significance, yet

• Like 5

I wonder if Jimmy has recorded a message of endorsement for Harris to be played at the convention.

I also wonder if Harris will stop in Plains to join in birthday celebrations, Georgia being a main swing state she will be making a lot of stops there anyway.

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Joe Biden seems to not know which planet this is these days, so he might accidentally give eulogy to JF Kennedy.

33 minutes ago, EDMUND901 said:

I wonder if Jimmy has recorded a message of endorsement for Harris to be played at the convention.

I also wonder if Harris will stop in Plains to join in birthday celebrations, Georgia being a main swing state she will be making a lot of stops there anyway.

Jimmy and Rosalynn recorded audio for the 2020 DNC, but his speaking was a lot rougher when he sent in a recording for Hank Aaron's funeral in 2021. I doubt he's intelligible enough anymore,

unfortunately. 

I suspect he's probably not taking any non-family or hospice visitors due to his condition and age. Any cold or flu could be deadly for him, and campaigning across the country like Harris is exposes her to a lot of germs. 

The Carter Center or family will probably issue a statement congratulating her if she wins. 

I thought his main goal of why he wanted to continue living was because he wanted to reach the century mark.

7 hours ago, gcreptile said:

No, Biden will deliver the eulogy regardless:

Regardless, the ties between the 39th and 46th presidents endure, whatever the 45th president might say. When the time comes for Carter’s state funeral, Trump is expected to be invited alongside Carter’s other living successors. But it will be Biden who delivers the eulogy.

Also, it's perhaps worth noting:

Georgia does not have any laws barring a ballot from being counted if someone dies between the early voting period and Election Day.

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

At this point, I think it's a mistranscription and what he actually said is he wants to give Joe Biden's eulogy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Tells his son, Chip Carter, that he wants to live long enough to vote for Kamala Harris. Article says he has been more alert and following politics and the war in Gaza lately. 

It makes me think a little to Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 2020, but she died before elections so everything is posible when you're an old man...

6 hours ago, mymango said:

Trump being invited at all (an event I'm sure he'll show up for), is kind of crazy to me... Guess Jimmy really is nice.

6 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Jimmy and Rosalynn recorded audio for the 2020 DNC, but his speaking was a lot rougher when he sent in a recording for Hank Aaron's funeral in 2021. I doubt he's intelligible enough anymore,

unfortunately. 

I suspect he's probably not taking any non-family or hospice visitors due to his condition and age. Any cold or flu could be deadly for him, and campaigning across the country like Harris is exposes her to a lot of germs. 

The Carter Center or family will probably issue a statement congratulating her if she wins. 

He's apparently taken in various old friends, like the head of the national parks site that his home will eventually be included in, at points. Though who knows how long that will go for...