I don't think Banksy is a serious candidate for dying anytime soon.

Agreed, and in any case his anonymity also invites the invention of Banksey as a brand, meaning the death of the man doesn't have to mean the death of the ongoing artworks. Mebbe they could move this thread to extra-curricular, or SOMETHING.

News of the death of punk artist Jamie Reid's death reminds us all of his introduction to us of Banksy.

Has a new Banksy been uncovered in Glasgow? - Glasgow Live

• Like 2

The fact that his first name is Rob has already been widely reported. In fact there are articles speculating on his identity every year. I remember there was an interview with Goldie (another Bristol person who knows him) and he accidentally referred to him as Rob in an interview. I'm pretty sure the DM itself has run several such articles over the years.

• Like 3

First time on this thread though!

And first time from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Rob Banks, eh?  Sounds like a pseudonym.

The rumour I always heard about him is its '3D' from Massive Attack, real name Robert Del Naja.  Dunno how true that is though.  Another Bristolian

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

The rumour I always heard about him is its '3D' from Massive Attack, real name Robert Del Naja.  Dunno how true that is though.  Another Bristolian

I thought so too. Wasn't this off the back of Goldie 'accidentally' letting this slip a few years back?

16 minutes ago, TQR said:

I thought so too. Wasn't this off the back of Goldie 'accidentally' letting this slip a few years back?

Might of been, a guy I work with told me it was 3D a few years ago and he also had a very convincing argument to back his story up

I think there are at least 2 Robs it could be. Robin Gunningham is the favourite I think. For example he was "unmasked" as Banksy by the DM in 2015, and also earlier in 2008.

• Like 1