Guest Natasha Lyonne  (American Pie)

Natasha Lyonne

Natasha Lyonne died an h our ago.I hope your suitably ashamed of yourselves.

:ph34r:

( Now I am :lol: )

Bye, bye Miss American Pie

Drove while hammered in Miami

But she couldn't stay dry

Then she threatened a dog

Near her flat in NY

And this'll be the day

that she died.

As Homer Simpson so memorably put it, "this thing writes itself".

:ph34r: Briliant CR, bloody funny :lol:

Natasha Lyonne died an h our ago.I hope your suitably ashamed of yourselves.

My shame is matched only by your grammar and my inability to find any news of Ms Lyonne's expiration on google.

A wind up methinks. :ph34r:

Thanks for the reps, peeps. Or are those props? Word. Anyway, maybe sometime GR could resuscitate the touching tribute to Princess Diana that was penned in the maudlin days following her death.

Guest stevie wonderwall

cant we all just pray for this poor wee girl to get better? :)

Why do Americans always sue for such ridiculous sums? $180 million! Well, I suppose it's only fair that a few dozen people have their ops cancelled and die needlessly, if it means Mr Lyonne, sorry Braunstein, can be rich beyond his wildest dreams. :)

Now if he'd just gone for a couple of grand, I'd have said "fair enough." But that's not the showbiz way, is it.

BTW I think we've established that the power of prayer is of somewhat limited effectiveness.

Why do Americans always sue for such ridiculous sums?

Good question Cerby. They sue for ridiculous sums because US juries are often gullible enough to award outrageous settlements based on the unfortunate concept of "sending a message". This is to encourage the defendant and others in a similar position to refrain from engaging in whatever conduct led to the lawsuit. A good example is the $8 million award to the woman who put a cup of McDonald's coffee between her knees while leaving the drive thru window, then shock of shocks spilled it and burned her legs. Her lawyers made the case that McDonald's served their coffee too hot, so their client's dumb behavior shouldn't preclude a massive payout. The jury sees a little old lady with burned legs up against a greedy corporate client, and hey presto, 8 mill. What's not often mentioned about that case is that on appeal the amount was significantly reduced as it was dealt with by a judge. And McDonald's does now serve their coffee at a cooler temperature.

...BTW I think we've established that the power of prayer is of somewhat limited effectiveness.

Here is the proof in case anyone missed it.

:)

Good question Cerby. They sue for ridiculous sums because US juries are often gullible enough to award outrageous settlements based on the unfortunate concept of "sending a message". This is to encourage the defendant and others in a similar position to refrain from engaging in whatever conduct led to the lawsuit. A good example is the $8 million award to the woman who put a cup of McDonald's coffee between her knees while leaving the drive thru window, then shock of shocks spilled it and burned her legs. Her lawyers made the case that McDonald's served their coffee too hot, so their client's dumb behavior shouldn't preclude a massive payout. The jury sees a little old lady with burned legs up against a greedy corporate client, and hey presto, 8 mill. What's not often mentioned about that case is that on appeal the amount was significantly reduced as it was dealt with by a judge. And McDonald's does now serve their coffee at a cooler temperature.

I think they now also include a warning message on the cups that says

'Danger - contents may be hot' :)

Good question Cerby. They sue for ridiculous sums because US juries are often gullible enough to award outrageous settlements based on the unfortunate concept of "sending a message"

The moral of the story is that these juries do not hold people accountable for the consequences of their own stupid actions. :P

Anyone stupid enough to put a cup of hot coffee between their knees should realize that being burned is a consequence of his or her action and should not go crying to a jury. :)

The real facts of the Mcdonalds coffee case.

other than the dollar amounts, what part of my synopsis wasn't real?

Guest Guest

what the f*** has Mcvdonalds coffee got to do with natasha lyonne fighting for her life?

what the f*** has Mcvdonalds coffee got to do with natasha lyonne fighting for her life?

Tenuous Link Warning

They also serve piping hot American (apple) Pie?? B)

Tenuous Link Warning

They also serve piping hot American (apple) Pie?? :D

B)

You seem to put the majority of blame on the plaintiff and not on Mcdonalds for serving ridiculously hot coffee.

Fair point, TF. I intended my post to critique ridiculously high punitive damages in the US courts, but did not choose the best example. And that is the connection to Natasha Lyonne, whose father's lawyers' preposterous $180 million proposed damages claim would be a better one.

Da da da de dah......... she's snuffing it.*

*Partialy plagarised from Stayin Alives post

Guest Guest_Star Crossed
Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas.

Third-degree burns to the perineum? Never a good thing to hear from your doctor.

Just to add my $0.02, this type of litigious nonsense is yet another example of the trend towards the culture of blame and freeloading which seems to be engulfing the western world.

If I bought a coffee from some coffee vendor, be it McDonald's or Mr. Local Coffee-Coff-Coff Man, I'd be p1ssed-off if it WASN'T hot. And I certainly wouldn't be driving away with it between my knees. Was she prosecuted for dangerous driving? Probably not, ffs... B) Good job she was wearing those elastic-top jeans so the paramedics could whip 'em off nice and quick.

Guest Guest_Star Crossed

Just so I don't get flamed too badly for my irrelevant post above, here's a quote about Natasha Lyonne.

"Reportedly, Natasha is suffering from hepatitis C, a heart infection, a collapsed lung and is covered in track marks. She's also undergoing methadone treatment — typically used to help heroin users."

Again, plagiarism unfortunately. As would be any remark about her possibly getting together with Pete Doherty. Sorry.

FYI, in case you made the same mistake as me and initially thought "covered in track marks" is in reference to her being trampled by stampeding rodents, I believe, upon investigation, that it refers to heroin abuse.

*i wouldn't know because, obviously, i'm not the authority*

ooh, look it lets me use my login this time. shame i had to remove that space between the words "Star" and "Crossed". oh well, here i am, then...