Sign in to follow this  
Tempus Fugit

Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi

Fantastic !!!! My first DDP hit - what a nice start to the day.

BBC confirms it here.

Woo Hoo!

The following was including as part of the confirmation of Zarqawi's on the Al Qaida website:

"We want to give you the joyous news of the martyrdom of the mujahed sheik Abu Musab al-Zarqawi,"

Those happy chappies, always looking on the bright side (of death).

Another bad miss for the DL. He was discussed but discounted as too unlikely. How we came to that conclusion is beyond me.......

Guest Shuffler

We just await someone digging up a nice picture of Dubya and Al-Zarqawi sharing a joke at some Whitehouse garden fête from a few years back...

Finally Junior's hard work is starting to pay off! And to think, people said I was either drunk or insane when I voted for Georgie the second time......to that I say Ha!

(although I may have been slightly inebriated at the time)

At any rate, it appears the b.as.tard is dead and that's the best news I've heard since Iain told us he was going snorkeling to locate forgotten members of the Titanic.

I think it may be one of those rare occurrences when all of Deathlist, visitors and all, are in accord. Huzzah for the death of the murderous little turd!

I think it may be one of those rare occurrences when all of Deathlist, visitors and all, are in accord. Huzzah for the death of the murderous little turd!

Well said......by the way what happened to your imagery?

The following was including as part of the confirmation of Zarqawi's on the Al Qaida website:

"We want to give you the joyous news of the martyrdom of the mujahed sheik Abu Musab al-Zarqawi,"

Those happy chappies, always looking on the bright side (of death).

Another bad miss for the DL. He was discussed but discounted as too unlikely. How we came to that conclusion is beyond me.......

I wouldn't call it a bad miss, a lot of is in retrospect.

A year ago, how were we know that AMAZ would be successfully found and killed? Why him? Why not Osama bin Laden? It's a miss for sure, and definetely a fair candidate for "Near Misses," but unless you looked at it in retrospect, it wasn't obvious, especially given the amount of times that he slipped out from under the net.

A bad miss is more like, JKG, who has been consistently frail and near death for years, and has been on the DL several times, or Shelley Winters, who was known to have a had a stroke or a heart attack in late 2005.

[

A year ago, how were we know that AMAZ would be successfully found and killed? Why him? Why not Osama bin Laden? It's a miss for sure, and definetely a fair candidate for "Near Misses," but unless you looked at it in retrospect, it wasn't obvious, especially given the amount of times that he slipped out from under the net.

Simple really Paulie.....you see Al was living much more out in the open spaces and among people than Binny. By living more openly and freely one runs greater risks of being seen and if one is being hunted they then run greater risks of being killed off.

Good Ridance to Bad Rubbish!

I wouldn't call it a bad miss

Neither would I. Putting terrorists on a list is always a gamble as there's often so much misinformation about their whereabouts and whether they're alive or dead. al-Zarqawi has been pronounced dead a few times... and just how many times has bin Laden died? Unless there's proof - pictures that are definitely the real thing - then most of the time it's just speculation to co-incide with Dubya/Blair (lack of) popularity polls.

They missed their chance to get "Binny" recently when he turned up at Edgeley Park and tried to start a Mexican wave:

bin%20laden.jpg

I wouldn't call it a bad miss

Neither would I. Putting terrorists on a list is always a gamble as there's often so much misinformation about their whereabouts and whether they're alive or dead. al-Zarqawi has been pronounced dead a few times... and just how many times has bin Laden died? Unless there's proof - pictures that are definitely the real thing - then most of the time it's just speculation to co-incide with Dubya/Blair (lack of) popularity polls.

w060928a2by.jpg

Ah, bless him. He's having a very,very long nap. :)

There seem to be plenty of infantile chicken-hawks posting on this thread, cheering at the death of someone who fought in vain against an insurmountably well-equipped enemy. When "conventional" methods (5000lb paveway bombs, unlimited air strike capability, vast sums of money, the best killing technology money can buy) are unavailable to an army, they have to resort to what western governments might call "unconventional" means of warfare. All war is bloody awful; it's dirty and vicious and immoral, and to judge one man's action in a war based on the most polarised, government-spun reporting is naive in the extreme.

We (that means you, not me) forget, all too easily, that the US (specifically, George HW Bush's CIA) were the people who funded this man's early "career" fighting the soviet forces in Afghanistan alongside Osama Bin Laden and almost every other major Halibut freelance fighter now publicly reviled by the Bush administration. The US government funded, trained, equipped and helped mould these monsters (including Saddam Hussein during the Iran/Iraq war) and, when it was convenient, made them the enemy. Try reading a history book that hasn't been blanched by the revisionist US/UK governments; you might actually learn a thing or two. I say "might", because you're possibly so spin-whipped that you're incapable of independent thought.

The global war on terror/war for oil/clash of civilisations/war on islam isn't going to end soon. There are heroes and villains on both sides, hypocrites and sages; your duty as "free" citizens is to educate yourselves and work out what's really happening for yourselves, not just nod in agreement when another F*****g chicken-hawk hypocrite like Rumsfeld condemns an ex-friend/fallen foe as an "evil, genocidal maniac".

Put your hands up if you'd have the "bollocks" to go and really fight for a cause (if you're capable of finding one to fight for). What? No hands up? F*****g chicken-hawks. Pull your heads out of the sand and try seeing things from someone else's perspective instead of joining the bandwagon and jumping up and down on Al-Zarqawi's corpse.

I'm not saying Al-Zarqawi was in the right, nor am I condoning his methodology, but we shouldn't sit here in the comfort of our relatively rich, safe, unpersecuted homes/offices and squeal with glee about something we really know F**k-all about. I say "we"; I mean "you"...

chickenhawk

1. Older male who seeks the company or favours of an younger male. The term has homosexual overtones.

No need to be so rude, Star Crossed. :lol:

I'm not saying Al-Zarqawi was in the right, nor am I condoning his methodology, but we shouldn't sit here in the comfort of our relatively rich, safe, unpersecuted homes/offices and squeal with glee about something we really know F**k-all about. I say "we"; I mean "you"...

Zarqawi died as he lived, violently (not that his death will change much in Iraq mind). I'm certainly not squealing with glee, but don't expect me to shed a tear for this "Man of Blood".

All my sympathies are with the poor bloody Iraqi civillians, who just want to be left alone to peacefully get on with their lives.

Well said *+'d!

I had been feeling pretty disquieted about the number of "good riddance" posts since this man's death.

Until we know something about him which we haven't heard from the Western Media, we'd do well to be a little less unconditionally judgemental about someone who died for something he believed in.

Sometimes both guys are bad.

-Fred Molenaars

Well said *+'d!

I had been feeling pretty disquieted about the number of "good riddance" posts since this man's death.

Until we know something about him which we haven't heard from the Western Media, we'd do well to be a little less unconditionally judgemental about someone who died for something he believed in.

-Fred Molenaars

Yes the Western Media is dreadful, so unlike the free thinking Arab media.

Re: SC on AMAZ.

As a Middle Eastern Studies guy, it bugs the sh*t out of me when people take the war in Iraq and terrorism to be so one-sided. So from that stand point I agree with you. While I don't agree with the methods of terrorism and violence used by al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations, doing research in the field had allowed me to understand (Read: understand NOT approve of) why a small sect of the Halibut world has decided to take a fight against the West. I think a War on Terrorism should consist of fighting the causes of terrorism, improving the economies of Middle Eastern Countries and, most importantly, keeping the West out of the Middle East. If the West wasn't shoving a lot of its culture and influence down the throats of Middle Easterners, people who tried to rally against the West would look very foolish indeed. I think the whole problem stems from a deep rooted history that can't be solved by invading a few countries and forcing them to democratize.

As for the war, I didn't agree with them going in in the first place, but now that they're there they'd damn well better stay there for as long as it takes to fix things up. I know that's counter-intuitive to what I just said, but the whole invasion would be even more pointless if they didn't stick through it and try to improve things. Things improve on their own if you leave them be, people are naturally inclined towards self-improvement, but it doesn't happen overnight. I don't know exactly how the troops that are there can help without furthering the problem of Western encroachment - if I did, I'd probably be a Presedential Advisor instead of a confused undergrad, but there has to be a way.

Having said all that though, Zarqawi was sh*t sh*t sh*t and deserved to die more than almost anyone else I can think of. While I don't think more violence solves the problem in the first place, Zarqawi's violence was even more pointless and often aimed at people who had nothing to do with the root problem. Why did he blow up the hotel in Jordan? Was this part of the "insurmountably well-equipped enemy" that he was fighting? How does that promote solidarity among the Middle East? Among the Arab World? Among the Halibut world. AMAZ was a Halibut Timothy McVeigh, a criminal hiding underneath a cause so that he can have an excuse to hurt others. If AMAZ was a white guy who was doing exactly what he did to further "white power," you wouldn't defend him because his cause would be a joke. But because he's under the veil of a legitimate cause (note: This doesn't mean that I approve of terrorist methodology, I'm just saying I understand where the base grievences are coming from), it makes it seem as if the issue is greyer than it really is. I can see the "other side" in almost anything. In fact, my novels are based off the message that there is no such thing as black and white, wrong and right. But one important thing to remember is that sometimes - whether by insanity or just selfishness - occassionaly there are those who appear that unfortuneately defy my theory and are sh*t. Dahmer was one, Zarqawi was another.

The Jordanian goverment said F**k him. Most of his family said F**k him. Hell, even al-Qaeda more or less said F**k him in that letter from the head office. The reality of AMAZ has little to do with the problems in the Middle East, as much he would have liked you to think that way.

Oh and also, I can't join the military for medical reasons, just for the record. Instead, I'm going to go to graduate school for Middle Eastern Studies and hopefully earn a Ph.D so that my spin-whipped mind that is incapable of independent thought can learn the truths and histories to the current conflict. That way, I can become a professor and espouse alternative solutions and balanced analyses so that people who are too heavily ingrained on one side or the other can balance themselves out.

By the way, are you aware of the extreme irony of your post? You chide us all for blindly accepting the government's view on things, but you're just equally blindly spitting out the opposite side of things. For the record, by the way, remember that paper that I won the undergraduate research award for? It was on Middle Eastern history so not only do I know more than "F**k all" about the situation, I probably know way "F**k more" than you. :lol:

chickenhawk

1. Older male who seeks the company or favours of an younger male. The term has homosexual overtones.

No need to be so rude, Star Crossed. :lol:

You twat, Windsor, that's not the meaning I posted a link to, as well you know.

I probably know way "F**k more" than you. :lol:

CP, it's becoming almost comical that you take every post of mine as a personal insult. You seriously think I had you in mind when I was writing my post? You flatter yourself... and not for the first time.

I probably know way "F**k more" than you. :lol:

CP, it's becoming almost comical that you take every post of mine as a personal insult. You seriously think I had you in mind when I was writing my post? You flatter yourself... and not for the first time.

No more egotistical than skipping through an entire argument to get to the one part that's directed at you.

You seriously think I had you in mind when I was writing my post?

we shouldn't sit here in the comfort of our relatively rich, safe, unpersecuted homes/offices and squeal with glee about something we really know F**k-all about. I say "we"; I mean "you"...

Well, seeing as how you directed it at everyone who had commented they were happy about al-Zarqawi's death, which included myself, then yeah, I did think at least in part I must have been one of the people you had in mind, maybe not consciously, but implied.

Getting back to the point, I whole-heartedly agree with you that this situation is too complicated to be looked at in black and white terms. But as I've explained above, I think it's as fair to be as happy with the death of al-Zarqawi as it is to be happy about the death of Jeffery Dahmer.

-Fred Molenaars

Indeed.

Besides: one politician's terrorist is another politician's freedom fighter. As I see it: if we want to get rid of terrorism we need to get rid of politicians first. It's not as if we need them.

regards,

Hein