Sign in to follow this  
scsibear

Talk Like A Scotsman/St Andrews Day/Burns nicht

Naw, she's older than I am and I can faintly remember it. A Dog with freckles and a wee girl with triangular hair.

The Clangers were good.

Naw, she's older than I am and I can faintly remember it. A Dog with freckles and a wee girl with triangular hair.

The Clangers were good.

Damn I'm the old git again !!!! (folds the comb over)

I remember Hectors House, wasn't there a frog in that? Madame Frou Frou or something? The Clangers were class, my 17 month old nephew normally ignores TV but when we were with him at Xmas I put on a Clangers video and he was right up at the telly trying to touch the Clanger on screen, kept him occupied for a whole 5 mins (and that's a feat in itself!), shows what a load of crap Teletubbies e.t.c. are.

The Clangers were good.

Christal tipps and Alistair?

I remember Hectors House, wasn't there a frog in that? Madame Frou Frou or something? The Clangers were class, my 17 month old nephew normally ignores TV but when we were with him at Xmas I put on a Clangers video and he was right up at the telly trying to touch the Clanger on screen, kept him occupied for a whole 5 mins (and that's a feat in itself!), shows what a load of crap Teletubbies e.t.c. are.

Hector, Kiki, and I'm damned if I can remember the name of the other one

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Oor Wullie.

Inspired by this thread I think the Tykes are going to need their own thread for August 17 - Hughes neet. Then there's the Thomas "do not go gentle into that good" night on October 27 for the Taffs.

The Clangers were good.

I'd wondered if he meant that, I remember that all that red hair, can't remember what the show was about though it's like 'Bill & Ben, I don't remember that either, but I loved 'Mary, Mungo & Midge' or as they say in Glasgow 'Hairy, Midden & Minge'

The Clangers were good.

S**t, you are right. Always get those ones confused.

Still, Hector looks familiar.

hector.jpg

One of Mary Mungo and Midge was a dog too, I think.

Hector, Kiki, and I'm damned if I can remember the name of the other one

It was ZaZa.

Poor old Hector, recently prostituted to advertise for the Virgin One bank account.

Next it'll be Mr.Benn advertising travel insurance,

Mary, Mungo & Midge selling pet food.

Childhood memories raped by the corporate swine.

Poor old Hector, recently prostituted to advertise for the Virgin One bank account.

Next it'll be Mr.Benn advertising travel insurance,

Mary, Mungo & Midge selling pet food.

Childhood memories raped by the corporate swine.

I agree with you wholeheartedly TF, but how did we go from having a laugh at being Scottish and all things Scottish to this? Is there any chance we can get back on track and have a thread poking fun at my nation while we Scots admirably shoot you down and hopefully provide a few laughs along the way while celebrating our patriotism?

It's five past twelve - Burns night was yesterday. :lol:

You sound bitter windsor...must be a flashback to the Jacobites are arseholes comment you said before eh !!!

My wife was Fekkin furious with you about that BTW !!!!

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Oor Wullie.

Ahem, I had an 'Oor Wullie' avatar on 30th November when this thread started.

Ah yes the Jacobites.

Led by the Stuarts - or is that Stewarts - to try and gain Scottish Independence outside Union.

Answer me this, if they were content on restoring an independent Scotland, why did they cross the border into England. Whoud it not have been a better idea to get the whole of Scotland and then defend the retaken land with the French Troops they were waiting on?

The Jacobite cause was nothing but an ex-Royal House trying to stir up Nationalism to get them back on the Throne of England. To do this they made promises that they had no intensions of keeping.

The Scots were used by the Stuarts. Mark my words, had the '45 been successful there would still be a Union and the Court would still have been based in England.

Whoud it not have been a better idea to get the whole of Scotland and then defend the retaken land with the French Troops they were waiting on?

Ah, Unilateral Declarations of Independence.

Thank god for Ian Smith for creating one for our time.

And I mean the Rhodesian Ian Smith, not the chap who plays Harold Bishop on Neighbours.

Jacobites were a bunch of arseholes. :lol:

Is that your opinion Windsor? I come from a long line of Jacobites, my ancestors fought and died at Culloden, at least they died for something they believed in, yes they were slaughtered, but they were never ever 'arseholes'.

I learned that Jacobites don't recognise Queen Elizabeth I of Englands reign because the Catholic Church didn't recognise the marriage of Henry and Anne as Legal. Instead they recognise Mary Queen of Scots as 'Mary II of England'.

just in case you forgot or none of the scottish contingent saw this...there it is above in all of it's glory.

What are you even doing posting here....it's pretty obvious all your interested in is getting another post in on your post quota on the DL, you've insulted a lot of people least of all Lady G who has supported you for a long time when you were paranoid about others opinions of you, nice to know you hate the Scots and we now know where we stand with you!!!!

I learned that Jacobites don't recognise Queen Elizabeth I of Englands reign because the Catholic Church didn't recognise the marriage of Henry and Anne as Legal. Instead they recognise Mary Queen of Scots as 'Mary II of England'.

just in case you forgot or none of the scottish contingent saw this...there it is above in all of it's glory.

What are you even doing posting here....it's pretty obvious all your interested in is getting another post in on your post quota on the DL, you've insulted a lot of people least of all Lady G who has supported you for a long time when you were paranoid about others opinions of you, nice to know you hate the Scots and we now know where we stand with you!!!!

Calm down. It's one thing arguing on personal levels over the current aristocracy, let alone stuff this old.

Surely it's better to express a strong opinion than piss around in the middle of the road, anyway.

That doesn't get anybody anywhere.

Who said I was against the Scots?

I suggest we get the whole Jacobite thing in to proportion here.

It was not a wholely Scottish issue. Indeed, its success depended more upon French foreign policy than it did Scottish interest.

There was also the Catholic links aswell.

Uprising in 1708, 1715 and 1745 are no coincidence.

Sorry for any offence caused but it is my opinion.

Indeed, perhaps it did have something to do with my post quota but who cares about that.

Windsor...sorry...that accidentally was posted on the wrong thread...it was supposed to b on the talk like a scotsman thread..so I guess I buggered that one up...not to worry

Mods, may you merge please - I'm interested in where our little debate will go next.

[Topics merged -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

Mods, may you merge please - I'm interested in where our little debate will go next.

:lol: Thanks Windsor for sorting that out, but the question remains, why do you think 'Jacobites are Arseholes?'

I was refering to modern day Jacobites who make up their own timeline of monarchs.

Just because you believe something, it doesn't make it true. For example, was there a King Henry I/IX 1788-1807? No there wasn't but the Jacobites record him as an actual monarch.

As for the original Jacobites (James, James and Charlie) they used the Scots lying to them to regain power. I have heard the fraise 'Lions led by donkeys', well I'm afraid with Jacobitism it was it was the same thing but without any real principles.

Jacobitism was a sham and the Scots were used to keep it alive.

[More posts moved -- MH]

Edited by Windsor

I was refering to modern day Jacobites who make up their own timeline of monarchs.

Just because you believe something, it doesn't make it true. For example, was their a King Henry I/IX 1788-1807? No there wasn't but the Jacobites record him as an actual monarch.

As for the original Jacobites (James, James and Charlie) they used the Scots lying to them to regain power. I have heard the fraise 'Lions led by donkeys', well I'm afraid with Jacobitism it was it was the same thing but without any real principles.

Jacobitism was a sham and the Scots were used to keep it alive.

[More posts moved -- MH]

Couldn't have put it better myself.

The attack was upon modern day "post-Jacobite" Jacobites, for lack of a better phrase.

Re-writing history is one thing, but believing in a history that has no relation to fact is even worse.

Jacobites may as well be "intelligent design" theorists - their preachings have no accuracy when compared to actual events and timelines both then and since.

Hey Hein, thanks for sorting that out man much appreciated