Guest Mastoid Process

Dalai Lama

Guest Mastoid Process

I was wondering, can the Dalai Llama every truely appear on the list? ;)

Well that is a good point Mastoid ;)

Thoughts on this one?

Personally id say the current Dalai dude is a good enough definition to qualify

• Like 1

Don't know much about the Llama myself, except he only seems to be 69 or so. Not a grand old age - is he unwell? Anyway, he definately qualifies in my opinion.

DWB ;)

I thought the point was that the Llama actually reincarnates into a young boy when the old one...stops moving ;) - Does he ever die??

I think we could allow the latest incarnation to stand as a DL candidate if required. Anyway, back to my question of is he ill? It's no good having a religious leader on the list if he is full of the joys of spring, is it?

DWB ;)

Well actually I reckon hes not ill at all - I think Mastoid's was a hypothethical (hypo-tibet-ical?;)) question.

Guest Mastoid Process

Sorry I should have said it was a purely hypothetical question.

Guest Halo Yak

I just want to say to the Dalai if he's watching .. having an animal in your name doesn't guarantee a place in Nirvana .. that's not the way it works. If it is animal related, then Roman Abramavich is sure to be guaranteed a place, as he looks like a vacant simpleton spug monkey.

Evidently as of now (July 2) he's in the hospital for two weeks due to "exhaustion". If he doesn't go now this could make him a prime candidate for next year. Although the pope got shot and hes still alive...sort of. By the way the Dalai Lama is just about to turn 69. :pop:

Are people who believe in reincarnation eligible for the Deathlist? How many times do they have to die before they count?

Are people who believe in reincarnation eligible for the Deathlist?  How many times do they have to die before they count?

I think this has been covered before -yes they are.

You have to Die before you can be reincarnated.

Just treat "Reincarnations" as seperate people.

Of course the DL qualifies. Famous enough for sure. A basic of his faith is that all mortal flesh can die and we will all be reincarnated. The question is not WHO we will be next time but WHAT we will be. If he's right then everyone on the death list is in the same boat whether they accept it or not. If he's wrong he's going to do die and - therefore - qualifies. Either way, he's the same as the others, he just has a different view of life and death to most of them.

The thing that makes a master like the DL special in his own faith is that he - in effect - CHOOSES to reincarnate and help others. His spiritual being is already ascended to the point where this doesn't have to occur.

I trust that sorts out the hypothetical query.

Anybody any idea on how his health is?

Actually he's the 14th incarnation of The Dalai Lama (a.k.a. Lhamo Dhondrub), but the main thing here is that if he's alive then he's not dead. As to his health, I haven't yet heard of any major catastrophes befalling him in recent times. Perhaps you can find out more here:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The Dalai Lama Website

How do you know 'He's' the 14th incarnation, what if he just said yeah i'm him.

How do you know 'He's' the 14th incarnation, what if he just said yeah i'm him.

Maybe there's something like a DNA test that can prove/disprove reincarnations

For a brief time Tommy James (of Tommy James and The Shondells) was believed to be in line as the 15th incarnation mostly or in part because of his song Draggin' The Line It was believed in error that when he sang of his dog eating purple flowers and also of huggin' a tree when you get near it that he was citing various methods of reincarnating ones self from one level to another, (a dog eating a flower) and then being able to embrace the creature at it's new level (hugging a tree). It was soon discovered however that he was not the next Dalai Lama and that the words of his song were just a positive outlook on life.

Lyrics

Janeo

DNA test!!!!!!!

It's about faith or it's pointless. Get with the program or come back next time as lichen on a rock.

According to Wikipedia:

"Upon the death of the Dalai Lama, his monks institute a search for the Lama's reincarnation, or tulku (sprul sku), a small child. Familiarity with the possessions of the previous Dalai Lama is considered the main sign of the reincarnation. The search for the reincarnation typically requires a few years which results in a gap in the list of the Dalai Lamas. The reincarnation is then brought to Lhasa to be trained by the other Lamas."

So, Tommy James probably doesn't qualify as Dalai Lama because he wasn't a small boy shortly after the present incumbent died.

It might be nice if one of the mods changed the title of this thread, with such pedantic users it's surprising that nobody has seen fit to point out that the Dalai Lama isn't actually camelid.

Janeo

DNA test!!!!!!!

It's about faith or it's pointless. Get with the program or come back next time as lichen on a rock.

I'll settle for the lichen option ... it sounds undemanding

Are people who believe in reincarnation eligible for the Deathlist?  How many times do they have to die before they count?

I think this has been covered before -yes they are.

You have to Die before you can be reincarnated.

Just treat "Reincarnations" as seperate people.

Doesn't this cover it?

I'm hoping this thread is about the spiritual and political leader of the Tibetan people rather than a sacred South American animal. Anyway, he's visiting the UK and is due to meet Gordon Brown. He can warn him what it's going to be like opposing a brutal, repressive regime.

Thanks for the title correction.

Edited by TAFKAG

The Dalai Lama has been hospitalised after experiencing abdominal pains. Maybe he found China's Olympic success hard to stomach.

• Like 1