Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

What Happens...?

...if someone dies at the end of the year, but it is not announced until the following year?

Examples include Sir Anthony Meyer, who died on Christmas Eve 2004, but was not announced by the family until the 8th January 2005, or to use a New Year's Eve/Day example, Elliot Richardson, whose death, IIRC, was announced about the 2nd Jan 2000, but he died on the 31st December. Eileen Heckart was another one recently.

Do deathpools & the DL credit them as a death in the current year or do they amend their previous years results?? I.E. if someone carks it tomorrow (NYE) & it's announced 1st Jan, what is the decision? A fresh hit or a last hit for the old year??

This has puzzled me for years, as there hasn't been, so far, an example of it actually happening in a DP.

They have a funeral in a year which is different from the year of their death...

Their tax form filings become somewhat ghastly to figure out....

They avoid the worry of failing to fulfill those pesky New Years resolutions....

If it happens now, in The U.S.A. they will avoid the postage stamp increase slated for January......

They get to start the new year in a new place....

These are just a few of the things which happen. As to where they land in the hit and miss column, it probabvlby varies from one board to another and you will just have to wait til it happens to be sure how it will be worked out.

More important though would be calculating the death of the person who dies at 11-p.m. on December 31 over in one time zone but it is already 2-a.m.. or later of January 1 in the next time zone.....where does this one land? Are we to go with place of birth as that would be the most sensible since it would give a full live span of hours. In other words if a person is born in let's say LeHavre France but dies in Galveston Texas it would seem wisest to use the French time zone for life span purposes.

Maybe the Administratoors or someone can get us an answer before the inevitable happens.........

...if someone dies at the end of the year, but it is not announced until the following year?

Examples include Sir Anthony Meyer, who died on Christmas Eve 2004, but was not announced by the family until the 8th January 2005, or to use a New Year's Eve/Day example, Elliot Richardson, whose death, IIRC, was announced about the 2nd Jan 2000, but he died on the 31st December. Eileen Heckart was another one recently.

Do deathpools & the DL credit them as a death in the current year or do they amend their previous years results?? I.E. if someone carks it tomorrow (NYE) & it's announced 1st Jan, what is the decision? A fresh hit or a last hit for the old year??

This has puzzled me for years, as there hasn't been, so far, an example of it actually happening in a DP.

They amend the previous year's result to reflect that candidate’s death. If that person was also selected for the current year, that choice would be eliminated and the person who made that selection would be given the option of selecting another candidate.

Regards,

ff

Right, we had this problem in a death pool I ran years ago.

We played on who got to three snuffers first. So...

On Friday Sir John Mills falls down the stairs. He breaks his neck, but as he lived alone no one notices.

On Saturday, Jimmy Saville "sadly" passes away and it is announced amidst much celebration on the national news.

On Monday Hayley goes to see Dad. Maybe to get him some milk and cheese and finds him in a state of decay at the bottom of the stairs. The papers run with the story on Tuesday.

However, Jimmy has been announced first and the money would have been paid out on that news (yeah, we won money on the dead. My bad).

So, the way I see it, it is when it gets announced that should count.

As for times zones. That is somewhat irrelevant. It's what date gets hammered onto your headstone (or urn) that would count.

When somebody is legally pronounced dead, the date of death on the certificate is what should count, everything else is meaningless.

everything else is meaningless.

:lol: Especially phrases like this...

My bad

Well, this list is about who dies in the current year, not about whose death has been announced in that year. I agree with Tempus Fugit that the official day of death on the certificate should count.

Another problem could arise if one's death has not been made public for years. So what if, say, Boris Yeltsin (on the 2000 list) turns out to have died years ago, and the Russians replaced him with a lookalike?

I believe that there has been a debate along similar lines about Bin Laden, who could have been dead for a long time without any one knowing, but correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm too lazy to find out myself.)

On the dead pool I run, it's the day that the death is announced that wins. It's a dodgy rule, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. You can't ask for the prize pool to be returned just because someone croaked the day before someone else did but wasn't anounced until after. (Especially if the fund is in the hundreds of £££££)

On the dead pool I run, it's the day that the death is announced that wins.  It's a dodgy rule, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.  You can't ask for the prize pool to be returned just because someone croaked the day before someone else did but wasn't anounced until after.  (Especially if the fund is in the hundreds of £££££)

I tend to agree there but maybe their should be a legally binding "Lucan Clause" which would make the party winner once the official date is made public?

DDP has a possible case today:

Sir John Peel

Doesn't change the winner, but it does provide an interesting precedent in case they were chosen in 2006 DDP.

He died on Dec 31st, so I think that "Henry's Half-Dead Heroes" team will score a unique hit for 2005, as they were the only team to select him. I am certain that if any teams has selected him for this year, they will be given the option of replacing him.

DDP has a possible case today:

Sir John Peel

Doesn't change the winner, but it does provide an interesting precedent in case they were chosen in 2006 DDP.

He died on Dec 31st, so I think that "Henry's Half-Dead Heroes" team will score a unique hit for 2005, as they were the only team to select him. I am certain that if any teams has selected him for this year, they will be given the option of replacing him.

Just got the email from DDP:

Sir John Peel, the former Royal gynaecologist who delivered or assisted in

the delivery of all 4 of the Queen's children, sneaked in before the final

whistle and died on New Year's Eve, aged 101:

http://tinyurl.com/9en3z

The 63rd and last hit of the year was a unique pick worth 5 points for

Henry's Half-Dead Heroes, lifting them from 78th position to finish in joint

58th.

regards,

Hein

When somebody is legally pronounced dead, the date of death on the certificate is what should count, everything else is meaningless.

On the ball once again TF - What's on the death certificate is all that matters.

im guessing that it would be counted for the year that he died but dont take my word for it as im probably worng here

Guest AgnositicGiant

Billy Grahm died about 50 years ago along with his antiquated, pagan, religious beliefs. Somebody should just bury him please. :unsure:

This sort of thing happened to my Granddad.

One year he died on 29th December and the funeral/burial was the following year

on New Years Day... :unsure: