Aye

Several of their players are missing, maybe under rubble.

Liverpool don't want to play their Champions League qualifier in Israel. Understandable.

Why is an Israeli team in a European football tournament anyway? (Ditto Eurovision Song Contest)

Why is an Israeli team in a European football tournament anyway? (Ditto Eurovision Song Contest)
I think for the football it's purely because they can't really play in their correct geographical area for all the obvious safety reasons.

Don't know about Eurovision though, it's not as if they have similar contests worldwide with the top 6 in each group going on to a Worldvision Song Contest or something to that effect.

Unless it was someone's bad idea of appeasment: 'Sorry the whole promised land thing has landed you in a spot of bother with the neighbours chaps, but tell you what, we have this great annual musical celebration/competition in Europe which you can join in with to ease your worries. How does that sound?'

Carlisle 1 vs Doncaster Rovers 0

Paul Murray (one of our old players rescued from the injury scrap heap at the end of last season) after four minutes. We had two other good chances, they had three, two saved brilliantly, two headed off the line. A draw would have been a fair result but - either way - it's good for us if we can live this well with a team that almost made the play-offs in League One last season. 12,000 near as makes no difference, in the crowd, over 10,000 of them home fans.

Forget the world cup, I've missed the real stuff.

Carlisle 1 vs Doncaster Rovers 0

Forget the world cup, I've missed the real stuff.

Impressive, but not as good as Lanna GoIF 1 Reading 10! report

It's really unusual for the league season to start and we're not in it. Really, very odd indeed. Ah, well, I'll cope.

On other Premiership related matters, I see BHB has made little comment yet about Mr O'Neill in charge at Villa Parl

Aye indeed OoO, respect to your current position. See if you can match our best, kicking off in the top flight, winning the opening trio of games and going top on goal difference from the second saturday to the second Tuesday of the season.

Aye indeed OoO, respect to your current position. See if you can match our best, kicking off in the top flight, winning the opening trio of games and going top on goal difference from the second saturday to the second Tuesday of the season.

Well, some of us are half hoping we lose the first game. We did that last year, you see, then only lost once after that! :(

One for the stattos amongst you. Does any other league team bar Wycombe Wanderers share the strange achievement that their first ever league goal was scored by an opponent putting through their own net?

To the best of my knowledge they don't. I'm currently engaged in some banter on a Carlisle web site about this very fact and thought I'd see if anyone here knew the answer. It matters to us because we were Wycombe's opponents that day. I know, cos I paid money to watch that own goal!

One for the stattos amongst you. Does any other league team bar Wycombe Wanderers share the strange achievement that their first ever league goal was scored by an opponent putting through their own net?

Yep.

Boston United in 2002.

Wolves, on the opening day of the football league season, in 1888.

Whilst Swindon are the only other team to have an own goal go their way on their debut, in a 9-1 win over Luton in 1920. Almost typical for Swindon is the fact that their first game is still their record league win!

Octi, tell me honestly, did you happen to know that or did you check it out before posting?

Either way, you're a star, I'll share the information with the Carlisle message board, gonna be tough translating it all into words of four or fewer letters mind.

Octi, tell me honestly, did you happen to know that or did you check it out before posting?

Either way, you're a star, I'll share the information with the Carlisle message board, gonna be tough translating it all into words of four or fewer letters mind.

Rothmans Sky Sports Football Yearbook.

I think I'd seen the thing about the Wolves-Villa 1888 game somewhere aeons back and knew the Wycombe one wasn't the first one, but it wasn't without checking up that I could confirm that.

I'll match your impressive trivia knowledge by sharing the news that Gary Taylor Fletcher of Huddersfield - an otherwise undistinguished professional player - tonight scored the 500,000th goal in the history of the Football League.

That'll be the same Gary Taylor-Fletcher who, as just plain Gary Fletcher between two spells at Lincoln, scored 1 goal in 3 years for Orient, will it? Hmm...

Still, beat Millwall 2-0 tonite and emerged unscathed. Can't remember the last time I saw that many police at an O's game!

Liverpool are playing Maccabi Haifa tonight in a Champions League qualifier. I'm sure the Kop will be able to come up with some suitably witty chants.

Pulphack; it's the very man. You'll be delighted to know that since his spell at Orient he's played for Lincoln and Huddersfield finding the net a total of 48 times including scoring both Huddersfield's goals so far this season.

Whether this is down to better management, the increase in confidence afforded by his double-barrelled surname or simply general improvement as a footballer I have no idea.

As it happens, it's the mystic curse of the Orient. He's just another striker who arrived at the O's full of promise, flopped, and then went elsewhere and couldn't stop scoring. There was a time a year or two back when, as we gathered for sunday mornig kickabout, either myself or my fellow sufferer Mark would go through the results in the NOTW - 'he's scored, sh*t at Orient... he's scored again... bastard couldn't hit the net for us...' and so on. Would you believe Lee Thorpe was a sh*t-hot striker when we bought him? Josh Lowe at Northampton scored against us after flopping in front of goal. And Saturday... according the O's website, the defence was beaten by the electrifying pace of Leon Constantine (scored twice)... that'll be the same Leon who ambled around the pitch when we had him a couple of years back, then started banging them in for Torquay, Peterborough, etc. Gary Alexander & Lee Steele have escaped so far, but then Alexander has long droughts, and Steele is injury plagued - so perhaps it's hit them that way.

As it happens, it's the mystic curse of the Orient.

Too right. John Mackie was one of the shittest ever players for Reading. But at the Orient, he seems to be playing the form of his life.

Mackie? Form? Depends what you mean... don't worry that he's suddenly got good, or anything. He's a 100% player, I'll give him that, but he's slow, can't turn, and has a distressing propensity to grab shirts, tug at arms, and fling elbows. He was able to get away with it in League 2 as refs are poor in that division; in the League 1 I think he'll be found out, and will actually prove to be a liability - too many cards and sendings-off beckon. Although, bizarrely, he shows a certain something as a last-ditch striker, having scored some crucial goals when thrown forward in the last ten minutes. No, selling him was a VERY good bit of business for your boys.

Mackie? Form? Depends what you mean... don't worry that he's suddenly got good, or anything. He's a 100% player, I'll give him that, but he's slow, can't turn, and has a distressing propensity to grab shirts, tug at arms, and fling elbows.

Oh, he hasn't changed, then....

I have never seen anyone been so committed & so desperate to earn the right to wear the Reading shirt. He truly gave it his all. However, I have never seen a defender at the club who could defend any worse than Mackie. Positioning, heading, tackling. Lack of any ability at all three.

Shame, really. It was one of the rags-to-riches stories. One minute he's selling fruit & veg & playing for Sutton Utd, then he's in the Championship (or the old (new) Div 1). It was too much for him, and I s'pose League 1 will be as well...

A death of a football club. Crawley Town are "To Be Liquidated". :)

This VERY nearly happened to Exeter City 3 years ago.

Great shame. My little cousins live in nearby Horsham, and would often go down to see them. They did fantastically well to reach the conference, and, indeed, be quite competitive, but in the end, maybe the Conference was a step too far re. finances.

<_<

But there's hope. Reading were NEARLY liquidated and minutes from going bust in 1991. Accy Stanley WERE liquidated, and look what they've done last season.

DDT, Exeter have recently acquired Rob Edwards - one time defender at Brunton Park - if he does owt spectacular this season could you keep us updated, thanks.

Don't know where else to post this information:

A poster on a Carlisle United message board has reported getting a round robin e-mail about a forthcoming awards ceremony at which Emlyn Hughes is presenting the prizes. That's the same guy who died a while back aged 57 of a brain tumour. If I can get the flyer I'll copy a link into this thread.

Bye bye Ellis, bye bye!

It looks like he's finally gone, barring crossing the t's and dotting the i's. Ellis and Petchey have decided to sell their shares, so hopefully the rest of the board will follow suit. They've got 21 days apparently, but hopefully they'll do it before that and the end of the transfer window and O'Neill can get his hands on the promised £50 million war chest. I hope Lerner means pound sterling and not dollars.

Typically there's nothing on Sky Sports News this morning, but it's elsewhere. So, is the sleeping giant about to awaken?

Oh yes, look out Chelsea, look out Arsenal, look out Man Ure, look out Liverpool- the Villa boys are back in business!

And O'Neill's already looking to make his contract longer. I salute your loyalty BHB and hope it brings deserved rewards.