maryportfuncity

Deadio Times

Woody Durham died peacefully at his home from complications of Primary Progressive Aphasia, according to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

He was 76 years old.  Durham was a 1963 graduate of Chapel Hill, and was the radio voice for both football and basketball from 1971 to 2011

[an aside....what the hell is PPA....sounds NASTY.  New one on me.]
(EDIT: Never mind -- I read it as ASPHYXIA which is a new disease I invented and would be ugly lol)
SC

Longtime play-by-play broadcaster Joe McConnell died on Sunday at the age of 79 .

In Chicago, McConnell was the voice of the Bears from 1977-1984, just as the team was returning to prominence after well over a decade of obscurity. He was on the call for playoff seasons in 1977, 1979, and 1984 when the Bears made it all the way to the NFC Championship.  McConnell also handled White Sox broadcasts from 1980-1984 – and was on the radio call for the team’s 1983 American League West Division Championship.
SC

Sad news that came out almost the same time as Barbara Bush, so no wonder it hasn't posted here yet.
Carl Kasell, a radio personality who brought gravitas and goofiness to the airwaves, first as a staid newsreader on NPR’s “Morning Edition” and later as the comic foil and scorekeeper on the delightfully silly news quiz show “Wait Wait . . . Don’t Tell Me!,” died April 17 at an assisted-living center in Potomac, Md. He was 84.  The cause was complications from Alzheimer’s disease.
SC

I suppose we could include Dale Wintons death on this thread since he was on radio 2 for years presenting Pick of the Pops, and a regular stand in for Steve Wright as I recall

(Party Pooper) Gil Santos, the radio play-by-play announcer for the New England Patriots for 36 seasons and 744 games, died Thursday, which was his 80th birthday and his 57th wedding anniversary!

And for your Coincidental Deaths addendum:

The man known as the "Voice of the Buffs," whose voice decades of University of Colorado sports fans recognized and celebrated, has died.

C. F. Alan Cass died Wednesday at the age of 77.  Cass was the public address announcer for CU men's basketball games starting in 1965 and CU football games starting in 1982.

Cass also served as the Denver Broncos' public announcer for two decades,

SC

Don Bustany,  who co-created American Top 40, the long-running music chart countdown show that used the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart for much of its run and a radio-friendly list thereafter, has died.  He was 89.  The show began on July 4th,1970 and was co-created by original host Casey Kasem, Bustany, Tom Rounds & Ron Jacobs.  I know I spent many an hour listening to Kasem (and later Shadoe Stevens), from the mid 1980s through the early 1990s, as they counted down the top U.S. singles of the week.  Bustany was the last survivor of the group.

Here's an obit for Don Bustany, interesting in that it comes from The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC).  "Bustany ... displayed a courageous commitment to civic activism on behalf of the Arab-American community and the Palestinian people. Bustany served for four terms as president of the ADC chapter in Los Angeles and for many years was a member of ADC’s advisory committee."

Also interesting, well to a Detroiter like Sir Creep, that he was born in the D along with Kasem, so I guess Detroit can take the credit (or blame lol) for American Top 40. 
SC

An open drain and a poorly lit road claimed the life of a young Radio Mirchi executive in Noida in the early hours of Wednesday.
The victim, Tania Khanna, 28, was driving a Verna car that plunged into the eight-foot-wide drain as she negotiated a bend near the Sector 85 roundabout around 1.30am.  The car nosedived into the drain, filled with water five feet deep, with the bumper hitting the drain's bed. The windscreen broke, leading to water gushing into the sedan. Tania tried to wriggle into the car's back seat but was unable to open the doors, which had got auto-locked. The autopsy report said the cause of death was drowning.
Tania was group manager (sales) at Radio Mirchi.
SC

Longtime San Diego sports broadcaster Ted Leitner announced Tuesday he will take an indefinite leave from Padres play-by-play duties as he battles cancer.

Leitner is the radio play-by-play voice of the San Diego Padres and San Diego State Aztecs Football and men's Basketball. He's also called games for multiple NFL teams, including the Chargers when they played in San Diego.

SC

According to social media posts from his daughter, DJ Empress, National Radio Hall of Fame top 40 deejay Dan Ingram has died.  He was 83.

27 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Jeff Sunderland, a decades-long Australian radio personality, has died while on the job.

It might be better to say "died while at work", since on this side of the pond "on the job" has a different colloquial meaning ;)

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Former long-time radio host and later MSNBC personality Ed Schultz has died.  He was 64.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/radio-personality-ed-schultz-dead_us_5b3e4d73e4b05127ccf00466

Damn..... he was a great person.  Hadn't heard his name in a year or so.  RIP
SC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

BBC Sheffield radio presenter Jimmy Carol beaten unconscious in a bar in Spain, not expected to last much longer:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/he-has-very-slim-chances-of-pulling-through-condition-of-ex-bbc-radio-sheffield-presenter-attacked-in-benidorm-worsens-1-9237740

Jimmy Carol, meet Sean Cox.  Sean....Jimmy.

Yeah yeah yeah probably won't pull through.... I've heard it and heard it.  :cover_ears:

Jack Hackman, who started out as a sportscaster and eventually became a member of the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame, serving on the WBA board of directors and as a one-time chairman, has died.  He was 85.

http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Marshfield-leader-WBA-Hall-of-Famer-Jack-Hackman-dies-at-85-488001971.html

On 07/07/2018 at 22:21, gcreptile said:

BBC Sheffield radio presenter Jimmy Carol beaten unconscious in a bar in Spain, not expected to last much longer:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/he-has-very-slim-chances-of-pulling-through-condition-of-ex-bbc-radio-sheffield-presenter-attacked-in-benidorm-worsens-1-9237740

17 days later, he's still alive - right?