The following quote from Ian Hunter inspired the start of this thread. Post yer favourite philosophical observations on all things death.

Hunter - discussing his band Mott the Hoople: 'We weren't junkies, so we didn't get invited to a lot of things junkies did. We were just lager and a fag. All that mob were mainlining. Now they're F*****g oatmeal.'

An erudite defence of being normal if ever I heard one.

I thought you meant Ian Huntley then for a moment, MPC !! :)

Check out Ian Huntley on Amazon books and you get a different perspective, the definitive work on linear and non-linear equations.

Just a guess, like, it's not the same Ian Huntley that holds parties in his bathroom.

The following quote from Ian Hunter inspired the start of this thread. Post yer favourite philosophical observations on all things death.

Hunter - discussing his band Mott the Hoople: 'We weren't junkies, so we didn't get invited to a lot of things junkies did. We were just lager and a fag. All that mob were mainlining. Now they're F*****g oatmeal.'

An erudite defence of being normal if ever I heard one.

Wow mpfc this is the 75th thread you've started, you are the king of DL thread starting. :)

"To die would be an awfully big adventure"

75, no sh*t! I had no idea it were than many, like. I REALLY need to get a life!

On the other hand, I reckon this one has some stayin' power since there's many a profound observation to be made whilst contemplating death.

' I'm not going to die, I'm going to run away.'

- Wise words spoken by my dear old mother almost every day. Trouble is, she's wheelchair bound now, so needs someone to push her away instead.

The words of my late Grandmother:

"We'll, we all have to die of something".

She said this after the doctors advised her to give up the fags.

She didn't, and she died.

Death is for many of us the gate of hell; but we are inside on the way out, not outside on the way in. ~George Bernard Shaw

There is no justice....there is only ME. ~Death of the Discworld (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy. ~Jack Handy

Not really a quote or philosophy on death, but a great epitaph:

The Body of B. Franklin, Printer

Like the Cover of an old Book

Its Contents turn out

And Stript of its Lettering & Guilding

Lies here. Food for Worms

For, it will as he believed

appear once more

In a new and more elegant Edition

corrected and improved

By the Author

mpfc -

Your 75th thread seems the ideal location to wish you a hearty

:blink:CONGRATULATIONS!! :blink:

on your Twunt and post-Twuntdom.

May you bask in the glory of your multiplicitous posts. :P

Spend all your cash because you can't take it with you.

Why thanks, such congratulations are enough to put a West Cumbrian in fleeting touch with some genuine feelings, scary, I must resist.

Hope yer twuntdom arrives soon.

I'm taking mine with me. I want it buried with me

I'm taking mine with me. I want it buried with me

Handrejka must not have much of a will. :blink:

Where will you be buried?

Theres an odd thing about Fraserburgh cemetary where you are no longer allowed to buy a plot and wait for your death. Local people have, however, found a loophole (or something). When a loved one dies, the family promptly buy the plots next to them so that the whole family may be burried together. If you visit the new part of the cemetary, you will find a mass of headstones with no writing dotted around the place.

The whole thing makes no sense.

What happens in cases of acrimonious divorce after buying the plots or the occasional instance where people from your town die by being eaten by vicious animals, like crocodiles? Do they follow the croc around for a day and bury its sh*t in a coffin?

Well we have no crocs, but I shall write to the local paper and see...

Quite frankly its all a waste of money. You're dead. Does it matter if you are left beside your faimily?

I suppose it allows you to pay for your death in instalments. You can buy your headstone, then your ground, plant your headstone then die.

Quite frankly its all a waste of money. You're dead. Does it matter if you are left beside your faimily?

That would all depend on what you believe. If you are an atheist I would think not.

That would all depend on what you believe. If you are an atheist I would think not.

Well most of the town are either athiest or Christian. Both these faiths see no importance of the body. Athiests believe thats it, time to rot. Christians believe that your spirit floats off to heaven (or down to hell). So where the body lies id of no significance. The entire cemetary is blessed by ministers anyway...

Well most of the town are either athiest or Christian. Both these faiths see no importance of the body. Athiests believe thats it, time to rot. Christians believe that your spirit floats off to heaven (or down to hell). So where the body lies id of no significance. The entire cemetary is blessed by ministers anyway...

Good to see that you refer to Atheism as a faith, which indeed it is. Atheists cannot empirically prove there is no God therefore their belief in atheism is an article of faith in a similar vein to Christianity et al.

Keep your friends close, but moderators even closer :blink:

Keep your friends close, but moderators even closer :blink:

Once a moderator, you stay a moderator... or else. Was it Houston Texas where IYG lived? :)

Speaking as a lifelong atheist, ours is less about faith and more about belief. Unlike the doctrine of a faith which obliges the believer to accept the ordaned wisdom passed to them via, say a bible or a priest. We atheists base our beliefs on wisdom passed to us through science.

As we all know, science does not have all the answers so therefore we take a leap of faith in order to reaffirm our beliefs. This invites the teapot argument.

A man tells an astronmer that there is a porcelain teapot in orbit around the Sun. The teapot is so small and so distant, that even using his most powerfull telescope, the astronomer fails to see it. Does this mean the teapot is not there ?

As an atheist, I don't require final confirmation on weather the teapot is there or not. I know enogh about the world in which I live in order to make an informed decision. I choose to take the final small step on faith, and say that like the teapot, God is not there.

Here endeth the rant. :blink:

... God is not there.

No like all builders God has moved on to another job, leaving the universe only half finished.

Oh sure he said he be back to finish it, but once the cheque cleared he was off, the bastard! :lol:

Look at this:

Drew%20Barrymore%2013.jpg

and tell me there isn't a God.

regs.

Notapotato, Just back from the beach.

Look at this:

Drew%20Barrymore%2013.jpg

and tell me there isn't a God.

As an agnostic, I believe only what can be proven to me in terms which I can understand.

It is unlikely, therefore, imho, that there is a god. Miss Barrymore, seen here looking utterly scrumptious, is more-than-likely the result of a chain of biologically-successful individuals, all of whom survived the rigours of their environment, found compatible mates and procreated. This unbroken sequence of successful ancestors stems from successive branchings, which we call speciation, starting from a single bacterium-like ancestor which lived between 3 and 4 billion years ago.

This "natural selection", very possibly the mechanism responsible for all of life's stunning diversity, ended up producing this lovely human being; a shining example of the success of this natural phenomenon. Drew has not yet been procreatively successful; we can only imagine her efforts to find a mate and successfully breed... I'm sure many of us have imagined them a few too many times. :lol:

Trust me to take it seriously :lol: