Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Great Gigs In The Sky

A mate of mine is travelling to Europe in November because Caravan - aged progsters - have confirmed a gig. Their web site suggests the future of the band is in the balance. So this may be it since the drummer's health isn't great.

Ooh and it makes me wonder; how many half decent bands who could - in theory - reform, will never do so and are - therefore - dead?

I'd say The Beatles (the current duo could claim the name but everyone knows they're not The Beatles)

Led Zep - too concerned about the status of the legend.

Pink Floyd - made their point last year, don't need the money

Bee Gees - Won't claim to be that band again in respect to their dead brother.

Adam and the Ants - Adam's barking beyond repair, Marco's the size of Andy Fordham

Wings- That highly talented keyboard player was vital to the sound.

A mate of mine is travelling to Europe in November because Caravan - aged progsters - have confirmed a gig. Their web site suggests the future of the band is in the balance. So this may be it since the drummer's health isn't great.

Ooh and it makes me wonder; how many half decent bands who could - in theory - reform, will never do so and are - therefore - dead?

I'd say The Beatles (the current duo could claim the name but everyone knows they're not The Beatles)

Led Zep - too concerned about the status of the legend.

Pink Floyd - made their point last year, don't need the money

Bee Gees - Won't claim to be that band again in respect to their dead brother.

Adam and the Ants - Adam's barking beyond repair, Marco's the size of Andy Fordham

Wings- That highly talented keyboard player was vital to the sound.

Non sequitur alert! :angry::angry:

What with crashing off Hungarian roads and all, I'd missed that. I think it would be great if they got together and played wall to wall Syd, finishing with Crazy Diamond.

A mate of mine is travelling to Europe in November because Caravan - aged progsters - have confirmed a gig.

Reminds me of the time I went all the way to Barcelona to see a reformed Bauhaus concert :angry:

I suppose that much speculated Clash reunion won't happen

now that Joe Strummer's six foot under....

...The Smiths?

Guest KURIOUS ORANGE

What i wonder ever happened to Traffic.?

Wishbone Ash have had so many comings and goings that when they played a gig in Guildford last year someone out of the not too substantial audience filled-in on one of the two guitars. But when I went to see them in the early 70s they were a great band. It still like Warrior.

http://wishboneash.com/band_familytree.asp

Wishbone Ash have had so many comings and goings that when they played a gig in Guildford last year someone out of the not too substantial audience filled-in on one of the two guitars. But when I went to see them in the early 70s they were a great band. It still like Warrior.

Hey, that's like my great grandfather's hammer. The head's been replaced twice and the handle six times, but it's still that hammer. <_<

regards,

Hein

Being desperately out of touch with 70/80s bands on the pub circuit, I don't suppose anyone knows if The Stranglers or Squeeze are still going? This is the stuff of my youth. I know The Stranglers pressed on without Hugh when he got banged up but what happened next?

DWB <_<

Being desperately out of touch with 70/80s bands on the pub circuit, I don't suppose anyone knows if The Stranglers or Squeeze are still going? This is the stuff of my youth. I know The Stranglers pressed on without Hugh when he got banged up but what happened next?

Ah, that places your age quite accurately. <_<

I haven't heard of either for a long time. According to their website the Stranglers last released an album in 2004. Apparently they still play gigs. E.g. 2nd Sept, Braintree, Essex.

Accordiing to WikiPedia Squeeze died in 1999. All WikiPedia warnings apply.

regards,

Hein

DWB <_<

The Stranglers are still going - I saw them live a couple of years ago at The Beautiful Days Festival, they have replaced the singer and bass player though. Hugh still preforms as a solo artist - in fact he's at Beautiful Days this year.... along with Killing Joke which might be my musical highlight of the year.

As for Squeeze, I think Difford and Tilbrooke have both gone solo now, but I might be wrong.

Aye, but we're missing the point here. WHICH BANDS ARE ALREADY DEAD? Wishbone Ash might be following a gig in Morecombe with one in Chesterfield but it's life, of a sort. Looking at their web site it's obvious Andy Powell owns the name so if he died, no outfit legitimately claiming to be Wishbone Ash could tour, he lives, they live, end of.

The question I was asking is how many bands who - in theory - remain alive are already dead.

I think I could add another - The Grateful Dead

There's enough Dead members to stage a gig but after Jerry Garcia's death they refuse to use the name.

Guest mib

Hey, that's like my great grandfather's hammer. The head's been replaced twice and the handle six times, but it's still that hammer. :lol:

http://www.strangled.co.uk/

Surprised there's been no mention of Abba in this thread yet.

Abba's very own museum is on the way! This band will only reunite beyond the grave, mind. Doubtful if all four of them will even attend the museum opening.

I went to see the Abba tribute band Bjorn Again at Salisbury City Hall on Saturday night, and what jolly fun it was too.

Good times all round in Salisbury eh? Respect to the lads who held Nottingham Forest.

Good times all round in Salisbury eh? Respect to the lads who held Nottingham Forest.

Is that football stuff? That would explain the drunken riotous hecklers that were in attendance at the City Hall. Not what I expected at an Abba tribute, but amusing all the same.

It wouldn't explain owt of the sort. The game wasn't until the following day. Just a question, like. Were they squaddies?

It wouldn't explain owt of the sort. The game wasn't until the following day. Just a question, like. Were they squaddies?

Oh, there you are, shows what I know about football, I am just a foolish girl after all. They may have been squaddies, or just very enthusiastic Abba fans.

Saw Clapton a couple nights ago - what a great concert. I think it will be a long time until we can call him "Motionlesshand" :lol:

But not so long until we can call him a soulless, passionless, cynical, bloated old bag of rat-jizz. Mate, you're still young...go and live a bit.

Saw Clapton a couple nights ago - what a great concert. I think it will be a long time until we can call him "Motionlesshand" :blink:

Weatherman go see a Rolling Stone concert instead, atleast Mick Jaggar could probably run faster then you, and Keith Richards could die anyday. Or the second suggestion would be hang out with some girls, get some beer and purchase a couple dime bags. I'll be waiting for you to thank me.

Just posted on the possibles 08 forum; although the Welsh band Man are still going the great line up has played its last gig. Guitarist Deke Leonard was interviewed this week on 6 music, he's got his own solo band and the other guitar legend in the line up, Micky Jones, has battled a brain tumour. Deke says he'll never play on stage again.