Sign in to follow this  
MadMac

Freddy Fender

Is there a full moon tonight? I distinctly said BaldemaR would not go before the next one. Was I wrong or just wronged?

Rest in eternal peace Freddy...and say hellow to your Secret Love......

Freddy Fender dies

Selfish bastard!

So his daughter has no chance of getting the kidney back. If I were her I'd fry it up and console myself with the inheritance.

Freddy Fender dies

A shining example for Suharto and Pinter.

regards,

Hein

Fred's dead! Oh no! More points for me! In a quite a few pools too, look, that's 2 hits from 10 names in 6 weeks of starting my 3rd year of Rotten.com's deadpool I make it that it puts me in =85th out of about 20,000. Hay Windsor, think you need to have a go at me for blowing my own trumpet!

Freddy Fender dies

A shining example for Suharto and Pinter.

regards,

Hein

as well as Ronnie Biggs, General Pinochet and Ross Davidson

Fred's dead! Oh no! More points for me! In a quite a few pools too, look, that's 2 hits from 10 names in 6 weeks of starting my 3rd year of Rotten.com's deadpool I make it that it puts me in =85th out of about 20,000. Hay Windsor, think you need to have a go at me for blowing my own trumpet!

Hey Ali, you smug git.

I have a way to get you some more points next year.

Put yourself on a list, I kill you, and you get the publicity you need in an article about extreme deadpooling. How about it?

Look, that's 2 hits from 10 names in 6 weeks of starting my 3rd year of Rotten.com's deadpool I make it that it puts me in =85th out of about 20,000.

So have I, same timescale. But I don't see the need to wave it in everyone's face & say how clever I am.

Look at FF - he's a fair way ahead of everyone (including you, me, Windsor etc.) in the DDP (probably the big one internationally, in terms of who you can select) in selecting deaths but his modesty & dignity as he climbs to the top, is endearing.

Do calm down dear, it's only a deadpool. No-one likes a smug git. Look what happened to JFK Jr. :blink:

That's another one chalked off the possibles.

Oh well, makes my life a bit easier I suppose... :blink:

Guest alleykat

Well for you who are counting the "days" not weeks. the wait is over. He passed on Oct 14th. The man had and immersing talent. Here are a few things about him:

[/b]

Freddy Fender (June 4, 1937 – October 14, 2006), born Baldemar Huerta in San Benito, Texas, USA,

In 1959, Baldemar changed his name to Freddy Fender. He took Fender from the headstock of his guitar, and Freddy because the alliteration sounded good to him.

May 1960 after he and a band member were arrested for possession of marijuana in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. After two years in the Louisiana State Penitentiary Angola prison farm, he was released through the intercession of Gov. Jimmie Davis, also a songwriter and musician. Davis requested that Fender stay away from music while on probation as a condition of his release.

In 1974, Fender recorded "Before The Next Teardrop Falls." The single was selected for national distribution, and became a number one hit on the Billboard Country and Pop charts. His next four singles, including a remake of "Wasted Days," all hit the number-one spot on the Billboard Country charts

In 1989, Fender teamed up with fellow Tex-Mex musicians Doug Sahm, Flaco Jimenez, and Augie Myers to form the Tex-Mex supergroup the Texas Tornados, whose work — blending conjunto, Tejano, R&B, country, and blues — was widely acclaimed. The group released four albums and won a Grammy in 1990 for 'Best Mexican American Performance' with the track "Soy de San Luis."

In the late 1990s, Fender joined another supergroup, Los Super Seven, with Joe Ely, Los Lobos' David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas, Flaco Jimenez, Ruben Ramos, and country singer Rick Trevino. The group won a 1998 Grammy in the Mexican-American Performance category for their self-titled disc.[1

Most recently, Freddy Fender signed a contract with Warner/Reprise Records, and continued to sing, play and tour from his base in Texas despite health problems Fender had battled Hepatitis C in his later years. Fender underwent a kidney transplant in 2002, with an organ donated by his daughter Marla Huerta García, and a liver transplant in 2004. Nonetheless, his condition continued to worsen. He was suffering from an "incurable cancer" in which he had tumors on his lungs

He died on October 14, 2006 of lung cancer at his home in Corpus Christi, Texas with his family at his bedside. He was 69 years old. At the time of his death, the family announced the body would be taken to his birthplace of San Benito, Texas, for a funeral and memorial service. National news coverage of the death cited an oft-expressed wish by the singer to become the first Mexican-American inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, with reporters noting that posthumous induction remains a possibility

And that my friends who Freddy Fender was an accomplished musican who sang beautifully. If you are one who appreciated great talent that is rarely found, grab one of his works the Texas Tornadoes first album is my favorite. Saludos y vaya con dios Freddy!

I agree. His chances of hanging on until 2007 do not look good :banghead:

Yes, I think it would be a good idea for everyone to try and find a replacement for him.

Shouldn't be too difficult. I'm finding it difficult to limit it down to 20, too many people dying at the minute...

Well for you who are counting the "days" not weeks. the wait is over. He passed on Oct 14th. The man had and immersing talent. Here are a few things about him:

Freddy Fender (June 4, 1937 – October 14, 2006)

Gee, nothiing gets by you does isyt?