Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy Ronnie

Been To Any Famous Funerals?

Anyone ever been to the funeral of someone famous? Excluding Diana's, where I was one of about thirty million in the streets of London, I went to this guy's a few weeks ago:

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,...2319189,00.html.

Had no clue he was of any note, although I was slightly curious why Valerie Singleton off Blue Peter was there. She hasn't aged well.

Timothy Hadcock-Mackay.

Obit

I have no idea who he was, but I think I like him.

In 1992, he founded Grand Heritage Hotels International in Europe with Friend and colleague David Owen, now Chief Executive Officer. With US investment from William Burruss, GHI was officially launched in London in 1993 at a smaller dinner hosted by celebraty friends Christopher Biggins, Joan Collins, Lorraine Chase, Lesley Joseph and Diane Moran.

I also have no idea who he was, but I despise him simply for the company he kept, a miserable procession of the mediocre and irratating.

He's been mentioned in passing on the Not exactly famous thread, AtJ isn't a fan.

So why were you at his funeral ?

I haven't been to any famous funerals, but my Mum knew someone who used to gatecrash wakes ... for the beer & vol-au-vents. Family members would assume he was a friend of the deceased & friends assumed he was a relative of the deceased. Sounds like a nice easy way to get some free food & drink. I think I'll try it sometime.

• Haha 1

Timothy Hadcock-Mackay.

Obit

I have no idea who he was, but I think I like him.

In 1992, he founded Grand Heritage Hotels International in Europe with Friend and colleague David Owen, now Chief Executive Officer. With US investment from William Burruss, GHI was officially launched in London in 1993 at a smaller dinner hosted by celebraty friends Christopher Biggins, Joan Collins, Lorraine Chase, Lesley Joseph and Diane Moran.

I also have no idea who he was, but I despise him simply for the company he kept, a miserable procession of the mediocre and irratating.

He's been mentioned in passing on the Not exactly famous thread, AtJ isn't a fan.

So why were you at his funeral ?

My mum lives near his mother down in Dorset and they seem relatively close acquaintances, if not exactly friends. From what I could tell the family seem a little loopy

No, but one of the Spice Girls wa at my uncle's funeral (I wasn't)

No, but one of the Spice Girls was at my uncle's funeral (I wasn't)
[strokes chin]Hmmmm, never seem to be around at the same time do you?[/strokes chin] :P

Depends if you count champion cattle culled in the interests of keeping foot and mouth at bay and torched en masse in a field.

A good funeral should be a celebration of the individuals life, this was something entirely different.

I was at the funeral of Joey Dunlop, with about 60,000 others bikers!

Oh, come on, don't tease- which one was it and why was she there?

Pray divulge, otherwise I'll never get to sleep tonight...

I'm guessing it was Sporty, although I have no idea why.

I've been to a fair few through work.

Perhaps the best was Roy Jenkins - where I saw Jeremy Thorpe (as I mentioned in another thread).

I expect to be at Maggies, as and when.

Spot on it was indeed Sporty. Her grandmother was best friend'd my aunty and they used to babysit her from time to time. This was about a year before she was Sporty Spice though, so I guess it doesn't count.

Spot on it was indeed Sporty. Her grandmother was best friend'd my aunty and they used to babysit her from time to time. This was about a year before she was Sporty Spice though, so I guess it doesn't count.

Wahey! I feel absurdly proud of myself for guessing correctly and have just spent the last few minutes walking around the living room with my chest puffed out saying 'medal! medal' in my best Muttley voice.

And they used to babysit her? I take it they have since resisted the urge to sell any revelatory stories to the press concerning her tantrum throwing and bed wetting antics? Highly commendable.

I've always had Sporty Spice down as a chronic bed wetter. I wish I hadn't written that now as the image is going to be a tough one to shake off.