Windsor

Derby Dead Pool 2007

Re: Windsor's comments.

I'm not sure what my usual catchphrase is, but I'd give up my death row points if every one gave up Josie Grove. I'd even let whoever picked her as joker shift it to whomever they wanted, even if they were already dead, so long as they let me do the same.

There was nothing wrong in picking Sadaam Hussein last year, since he was nowhere near a death sentence at the beginning of the year. I'd remark again that I knew who Barzan al-Tikriti was before he was in the news, but I remember what happened last time, so I'll just not.

Canadian Paul: DL's very own Shilpa Shetty?

I have been meaning to apologise for that but I've always decided against doing so.

I'll just let you use it as your get out card in every argument we have along with the usual 'pot-kettle-black' speech.

Canadian Paul: DL's very own Shilpa Shetty?

I have been meaning to apologise for that but I've always decided against doing so.

I'll just let you use it as your get out card in every argument we have along with the usual 'pot-kettle-black' speech.

If it makes you feel any better, I had to look up who that was. She's cute. :banghead: (And yes, I do get what you are trying to say).

I don't like get-out cards, especially because in this case, using it would be somewhat pot-kettle-blackish of me. I believe somewhere in my earlier days I was docked for calling a respected member a "f*****g w**ker," so everyone lets things get the best of them at times.

Back on topic, Albert Ellis has gotten UK obits, but no acceptable ones yet I think.

I couldn't help noticing that the first three in the DDP all had Josie Grove. How can anyone feel good about that? Leaves a very sour taste for me. A shallow victory if any of them win. Congratulations though to the Hartlepool Deadlypool link for the JG charity. That seemed a good way of salving consciences.

I couldn't help noticing that the first three in the DDP all had Josie Grove. How can anyone feel good about that? Leaves a very sour taste for me. A shallow victory if any of them win. Congratulations though to the Hartlepool Deadlypool link for the JG charity. That seemed a good way of salving consciences.

Godot- What the hell does conscience have to do with any of this? You sound a bit like one of the ranters who think anyone involved in Death Pools is somehow unethical or immoral. You pick the people you think are going to die based on the rules of the particular pool. We (at least I) don't wish for them to die, we are just predicting it.

Guest Grave Grove-Grave Gravity

Josie Grove ... Leaves a very sour taste for me. A shallow victory if any of them ... seemed a good way of salving consciences.

Godot- What the hell does conscience have to do with any of this? ... We (at least I) don't wish for them to die, we are just predicting it.

This guest concurs with deadsox; the usually eminently creditworthy Godot has dropped a deathpool forum faux pas, by delving his gravy ladle into that classic pot/kettle/black dichotomy; pride from an accurate prediction versus sadness about the loss of the "subject".

Either that, or he has once again baffled the bulk of the DL readership by exercising his notorious penchant for irony... :banghead:

Either way, always best to remember that a deathpool "subject" is, unless, you're too serious about winning your deathpool and start murdering people, just the "subject" of a prediction, not a "victim" of your prediction (even if you really, really hate them, for example Margaret Thatcher).

Yours,

G G-G G

Very complex. Almost talking like a scientist. It's nonfunctional. Your all over the place. It's like Kitchen talk or something. It's like another language. You make no sense.

Guest please/kall/back
... pot/kettle/black ... Either that, or he has once again baffled the bulk of the DL readership ...
... It's like another language. You make no sense.

... pot/kettle/black ... Either that, or he has once again baffled the bulk of the DL readership ...

"For when one great scorer

Comes to mark against your name,

He writes not, that you won or lost

But how you played the game".

-Grantland Rice

If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

-Bill Shankly

I'm with the overrated dead Jock on this one.

... It's like another language. You make no sense.

Banshees Scream is hardly representative of that profound and erudite body of persons.

Re Josie Grove criticism that I'm used to by now: my real issue was that the pick was a cheat because she was hardly famous and it was obvious she didn't have long to live and at 16 you're still a kid in my book although I recognise that's the existing cut off point for minors. I would like to see the whole rule book revisited, the cut-off age upped and have condemned people taken out of consideration.

That would hand the meat of the points to those who pick the terminal cancer sufferers, by far the most likely picks than any others. I realise I'm in a minority of one here but if you have to alter a name (has happened with Josie Grove) because you know in your heart that the ranters have a point, you're on shaky ground.

I have far more respect for those who pick famous names. I also acknowledge that I write from an unplumbed well of hypocrisy after greedily including those two condemned Iraqis (whose names I can no longer remember) at the start of the year for some cheap points.

It's really the cheap points scoring I don't like and the competition veering away from the original spirit of deathlisting that concentrated on the possibly peaky or dangerously threatened among prominent people. I mean one Steve Irwin should be worth a dozen condemned Baathists.

I agree. My example : Art Buchwald was famous before he contracted a fatal disease and then chose not to treat it. Personally I feel queasy about selecting a teenager as a candidate, except someone like this individual who needs to be tortured for a few days and then shot.

I do regret picking Josie Grove but only because I've lost any highground in the argument. She was only 3 years younger than me so perhaps my lack of compassion can be explained through that.

However, had I not put her on my DDP I would be way down the board unable to compete against the hanging Iraqi teams.

Guest Guest

as DevonDeathTrip posted, Michaelangelo Antonioni is dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6923785.stm

Congratulations to the following teams who have picked him:

Grim Rita

Entertainers Seeking One Final Shot At Fame

The Goebbels Family & the Fred West Dancers Live On The Box

Milksnatcher's Last Hurrah!!

Moldy Oldies

Team DJB

The Newstreet Boys Death Squad

Guest Guest

Irish Folk singer Tommy Makem has died.

Deceased Hose

Queen of the Iceni

R.I.P. It Up And Start Again

The Living End

as DevonDeathTrip posted, Michaelangelo Antonioni is dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6923785.stm

Grim Rita

Entertainers Seeking One Final Shot At Fame

The Goebbels Family & the Fred West Dancers Live On The Box

Milksnatcher's Last Hurrah!!

Moldy Oldies

Team DJB

The Newstreet Boys Death Squad

Damn! Had him on DDP last year, but not this. Still,he's on my 'shadow' list and that needed a boost...

Does this count as an obit for Peter Tuddenham?

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,2139511,00.html

Yes. Well done on finding it - it's not on the main page.

Also well done to Anubis for making the top 5 & to DDT for what I think is his 4th hit in a month...

You owe me a Groat..... ;)

Guest Guest

With the death of Lee Hazlewood, No Noose Is Good Noose loses the top 3. :huh:

With the death of Lee Hazlewood, No Noose Is Good Noose loses the top 3. :huh:

Hold your horses. He isn't officially dead yet.

Guest Guest

With the death of Lee Hazlewood, No Noose Is Good Noose loses the top 3. :)

Hold your horses. He isn't officially dead yet.

Now it is official. He is dead. :o

Now to go for Castro maybe. :P