Windsor

Derby Dead Pool 2007

I was just scanning the DDP site and noticed, for the first time, the inane analysis section. I was devastated to see that my team was not named in the "theme teams" section. Apparently "in eternum+'s wrinkly dicks" - a team consisting entirely of people who played TV/film detectives and/or who wrote murder mystery novels - is too "subtle". :)

DDP might have had a better idea if like last year, we added a breif description of the DDP candidates.

But I suppose because the expected numbers, it wasn't possible.

I'm going to have a look at your team and guess the 'tecs..

Enjoy!

Rude Kid -

Not sure if you check this thread but with regard to David Burke, I did email you as requested but it would appear that perhaps you did not receive it.

In case you didn't, this is the David Burke on my team.

DOB: 25th May 1934 POB: Liverpool, England

Likelihood he's still alive: quite high Likelihood of getting a UK obit: extremely high

As it's me filling out the database, it was I that wasn't sure to which David Burke you were referring. In my defence, on the database it just lists his profession as "other" and doesn't say who submitted who, so I was in the dark, as it were, and wondered if it was the controversial American chef by the same name.

Anyway, if RK hasn't already done so, I've included the info in the DDP database, for which I thank you for your speedy response.

I was just scanning the DDP site and noticed, for the first time, the inane analysis section. I was devastated to see that my team was not named in the "theme teams" section. Apparently "in eternum+'s wrinkly dicks" - a team consisting entirely of people who played TV/film detectives and/or who wrote murder mystery novels - is too "subtle". :)

DDP might have had a better idea if like last year, we added a breif description of the DDP candidates.

But I suppose because the expected numbers, it wasn't possible.

I'm going to have a look at your team and guess the 'tecs..

Enjoy!

I didn't know Claude Levi Strauss was a detective!

You earn something new every day.... :)

You earn something new every day.... ;)

I elected to interpret the role of the joker within a team as a sort of 'odd one out'-type role. As in, all of my team members either play(ed) dicks on TV / in film or are authors of detective-involving whodunnits, except CLS who conducted real life investigations as a structural anthropologist.

Couldn't be more straight-forward. :)

You earn something new every day.... ;)

I elected to interpret the role of the joker within a team as a sort of 'odd one out'-type role. As in, all of my team members either play(ed) dicks on TV / in film or are authors of detective-involving whodunnits, except CLS who conducted real life investigations as a structural anthropologist.

Couldn't be more straight-forward. :)

Ah, Cleveeer!

Mind you if you wanted an 'Odd One Out', you could have chosen John Inman and cashed in!

;)

Guardian obit for Freddie Francis. Congrats to Grobler's Stiff Ones for their unique pick!

Also, Sven Olaf Hoiby has died and this is the closest to a UK obit thusfar - but I don't think it counts.

Guardian obit for Freddie Francis. Congrats to Grobler's Stiff Ones for their unique pick!

Also, Sven Olaf Hoiby has died and this is the closest to a UK obit thusfar - but I don't think it counts.

A good pick too by Grobler - kind of like Kenneth Griffith was for MIB last year.

That M & C site doesn't count, no.

A good pick too by Grobler - kind of like Kenneth Griffith was for MIB last year.

That M & C site doesn't count, no.

Funnily enough, Griffiths death was first announced via M & C so there's a good chance Olaf Hoiby will get one even though I've never heard of him...Now Olaf Pooley, that's a different matter..

Dame Helen Gardiner is dead.

Trouble is for those who picked her, she actually died in 2001!

Entry in English & Welsh Death Index 2001

Definitely the same lady. As it's on the Ancestry site, the link above may not work, but it's the same lady. Amazing that she didn't get an obit, and equally amazing that two papers reported her as alive with birthdays, when she wasn't!

Bad luck to the four teams who picked her, especially Foxy T as she was their joker pick. Interestingly, she's not on the Genarians website when I checked, so, I'm obviously not the first person who found this out.

Dame Helen Gardiner is dead.

Trouble is for those who picked her, she actually died in 2001!

Entry in English & Welsh Death Index 2001

Definitely the same lady. As it's on the Ancestry site, the link above may not work, but it's the same lady. Amazing that she didn't get an obit, and equally amazing that two papers reported her as alive with birthdays, when she wasn't!

Bad luck to the four teams who picked her, especially Foxy T as she was their joker pick. Interestingly, she's not on the Genarians website when I checked, so, I'm obviously not the first person who found this out.

I am surprised that her death did not generate any publicity.

There were two ladies though, with very similar names.

One was lady in waiting to Her Majesty or some such, and the other was a professor of Literature who was on the jury for the Lady Chatterley case.

The DDP people know the difference. I'm pretty sure we've had this before. Could be we have the wrong one. In any case I can't read the page you link to because they demand registration, and I can't be arsed.

/edit: OK I just read it, but am none the wiser.

There were two ladies though, with very similar names.

One was lady in waiting to Her Majesty or some such, and the other was a professor of Literature who was on the jury for the Lady Chatterley case.

The DDP people know the difference. I'm pretty sure we've had this before. Could be we have the wrong one. In any case I can't read the page you link to because they demand registration, and I can't be arsed.

/edit: OK I just read it, but am none the wiser.

Dame Helen Gardner, author, died in 1986. She was the Lady Chatterley lady.

Dame Helen Gardiner was the former clerk for Buck Palace.

Last year, I e-mailed DDP to say they were different, which they changed in 2006. Upon looking her up for the DDP database for this year's competition, I found she's dead as well.

In short, they're both dead, no points to those who picked her, and thus now a damn poor choice for future Death Pools, but not as poor as Dame Helen Gardner who is even deader.

I think I'm going to give this deadpool nonsense up next year.

It's getting to be too 'professional' for my liking. :(

A unique hit for No Noose is Good Noose on DDP, but it may be their last hit as none of the US guys seem to muster obits.

In all fairness, Assadullah Sarwari and Shoko Asahara will probably get obits, if they get executed this year. Mumia might too, but I thought his death sentence was overturned...

If no one else died, NNIGN could probably take the whole game. :crossbone:

The Bangladeshi terrorist, Bangla Bhai aka Siddiq - ul - Islam has been executed, along with his cronies. UK Obit too...

A unique hit for No Noose is Good Noose on DDP, but it may be their last hit as none of the US guys seem to muster obits.

With the death of Bangladeshi terrorist, Bangla Bhai aka Siddiq, the team "No Noose is Good Noose" is now in joint 1st place on the DDP scoreboard.

Guest The Unknown Man

Once eddie robinson gets his UK Obituarym points will be handed out to crazycarl, plus a unique pick bonus.

Now to go for fidel maybe. :huh:

Just noticed that British WWI Officer Philip Mayne was a unique hit for You Mean He's Not Already?, but there's yet to be a UK obit (the sole source is Austrailian).

It's getting to be too 'professional' for my liking. :)

No-o-o-o, just because others obsess you're under no obligation to copy them. Observe the mirth and merriment I share around by combining copious posting with rank incompetence in deadpools. My main CPDP team are allergic to broadsheet obits.

Just noticed that British WWI Officer Philip Mayne was a unique hit for You Mean He's Not Already?, but there's yet to be a UK obit (the sole source is Austrailian).

Well, there is now.

and of course Vonnegut too.

Considering the fact that it's been so quiet death-wise lately, I don't think any of those still waiting for an obit are likely to get one. Some are very unlucky, as if Pierro hadn't died on the same day as Anna Nicole Smith, then he would've got one in the UK, same as Brown & Winters did.

It's getting to be too 'professional' for my liking. :referee:

My list's hardly the work of a professional, I went for a mixture of definitely maybe's and some long shots based on the fact that they have suffered from past depressions and might slip back into their darkness. Eileen Derbyshire's a speculative might die on the job (working) in the style of Alf Roberts, and she does look old these days, then again, having survived Hillman maybe she's an immortal?

Well, I lucked out on Castro, looks like I might luck out on Doku Umarov.

According to Putin's man, "he might be dead". However, firstly the statement has not made any news outside Russia - secondly, Umarov may become a Bin Laden figure where knowledge of if he's alive or not is sketchy.

I hope he is dead, and they find proof & then tell the BBC. :) I'm certainly not including him in next year's DDP, along with Castro.

Guest Guest
I hope he is dead, and they find proof & then tell the BBC. :pop: I'm certainly not including him in next year's DDP, along with Castro.

Yeah in other words, Castro will be gone. :blink:

The Good News (or Noose) for us is that two more of No Noose is Good Noose's team appaer to have been executed with no UK mention.

The bad news for us, and good noose for him is that James Filaggi has been executed, and not only got a mention in the Guardian as per usual, but in the Times as well (which I've passed on to SB & RK)

Perhaps time for the likes of Messner to show their hand to stop NNIGN winning.

Guest Guest
Perhaps time for the likes of Messner to show their hand to stop NNIGN winning.

Yeah and Castro too! :)