Guest Dr. Smiley

Yeah, but personally I will be sad to see him go. A decent guy, he was probably the last of the "good Republicans"!

Guest Guest_SuperMan

Speaking of the rotunda, does anyone know where he and Betty will be burried?

Guest Guest

I read somewhere it will be in Michigan, their homestate.

Guest Guest

Will Chevy Chase give the eulogy?

Guest Guest

I just still wonder if ole Jerry was "Deep Throat"?

Guest Death List Watcher

I like Gerald Ford, and Betty is an absolute delight. I believe that we'll see the former president pass on within the coming months. His passing will be that of a true American. Though I'm a liberal Democrat, I'll always admire Gerald Ford for his pragmatism, common sense, and all-around good nature.

I must say though, it was nice of President Ford's grand-daughter to join, wasn' t it - do you think she might get the Bush girls in as well? Then they could give us their thoughts on Pete Doherty, Alex Higgins et al.

The Bush’s have their own share of problems. Noelle Bush (niece), has a history of drug abuse and various scrapes with the law, including shoplifting. She reminds me of Pete Dorothy (Libertines), as she has been consistently in and out of rehab. Jenna and Barbara (daughters) had underage drinking charges against them dropped in exchange for community service.

I saw Gerald Ford on TV a few weeks ago at one of his last public appearances last year and he looked awful. At best, he probably has just a few months left.

Guest Guest

You're right Ford is a true American. He has had the courage in recent years to stand up for things like abortion rights and stem cell research. I wish more of the Republicans would learn from their eldest statesman!

Guest Guest

Ford was definitely a breath of fresh air after Richard Nixon!

Guest Guest

I doubt Ford will go to the same place that Nixon is now. Ford was too good of a man.

Guest Guest

I just want to know if the guy was Deep Throat?

P We're not back to that again are we? I'm not going to do the gag again.

Quite unusual this ... a thread temporarily taken over by assorted Guests. All welcome of course.

Unfortunately, none of them is Jo Guest, who would be especially welcome :blink:

Guest Guest

Poor Jerry, people won't let this rest will they?

Guest Guest

Nope, not until Jerry is at rest! Maybe that is

P We're not back to that again are we? I'm not going to do the gag again.

Quite unusual this ... a thread temporarily taken over by assorted Guests. All welcome of course.

Unfortunately, none of them is Jo Guest, who would be especially welcome :blink:

Taken over by Guest I fear...

Guest JimmyGoof

I think the Deep Throat thing is dumb. I can assureyou that if it had been Ford, the news would have leaked probably back when he became president more than 30 years ago! Besides a president can't keep a secret like that!

Guest ImpeachBush

Amen! Gerald Ford was a decent honest man. And compared to what we have now, a great and noble leader!

It seems that the Society to Advance the Cause of Gerald Ford (current membership, 1) has hijacked this thread somewhat. Be warned Guest, in all your guises, that multiple postings can be traced.

Great and noble leader? Hmm that's funny considering that Cheney and Rumsfeld first came to power due to Uncle Jerry Ford!

I wouldn't have known who he was if it wasn't for the simpsons. Not that that's at all relevant to the current discussion.

Just a historical footnote: Four former presidents have lived into their nineties. John Adams died on July 4, 1826,(same day as Thomas Jefferson) four monthes shy of his 91st birthday. Herbert Hoover died of a bleeding ulcer on October 20, 1964 2 monthes after his 90th birthday. Adams and Hoover held the record until Reagan surpassed them both. Ronald Reagan died of pneumonia brought on by Alzheimers Disease on June 5, 2004 at the age of 93. And Gerald Ford will turn 92 this July(if he lives that long).

Former First Lady Lady Bird Johnson will turn 93 on December 22 of this year. Mrs. Johnson is currently the oldest of our surviving ex-first ladies. But the one who lived the longest was Bess Truman, widow of Harry S. Truman. She died of congestive heart failure on October 18, 1982 at the age of 97. Only Mrs. Johnson has come close to breaking that record. No other former first lady has lived past the age of 90. Here are the ages and birth years of our current presidents and first ladies as of 2005.

Lady Bird Johnson-93 b. 1912

Gerald Ford- 92 b.1913 Betty Ford-87 b. 1918

Jimmy Carter -81 b. 1924 Rosalynn Carter-78 b. 1927

Nancy Reagan-84 b. 1921

George H.W. Bush-81b. 1924 Barbara Bush-80 b. 1925

Bill Clinton-59 b. 1946 Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton-58 b. 1947

George W. Bush-59 b. 1946 Laura Bush -59 b. 1946

Thanks, very interesting. I thought Harry S Truman lived to a ripe old age as well, he died around 1972 I believe, but maybe he was just short of 90. And , with people living longer generally, I'm guessing that the number of living ex-presidents has never been greater than five, which we had during Clinton's first term (Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush snr) and also in Dubya's (Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush snr and Clinton).