Guest Guest
Thanks, very interesting. I thought Harry S Truman lived to a ripe old age as well, he died around 1972 I believe, but maybe he was just short of 90. And , with people living longer generally, I'm guessing that the number of living ex-presidents has never been greater than five, which we had during Clinton's first term (Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush snr) and also in Dubya's (Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush snr and Clinton).

so what is the collective term for a bunch of dumbasses?

Suggestions please...

Never mind all that ... I've got my avatar !!!!! :grave:

Thanks Terminator, never realised it would be so easy.

Truman died on Dec. 26, 1972 of heart failure at the age of 88. After Adams and Hoover, he was the third longest lived president until about 1999 or 2000 when Reagan surpassed him.

And as far as the greatest number of living, I'd say you're right about the Clinton and Dub 1st terms. My guess however is that this "fraternity" will most likely get smaller before the 2008 election. I'm guessing Ford will pass on before then and maybe Bush Sr. or Carter. And probably one or more first ladies (most likely Lady Bird) will meet their maker as well.

Suggestions please...

Politician?

Suggestions please...

A senate :grave:

Guest IYG

Suggestions please...

A senate :grave:

I think Congress of Parliament works better, the Senate is after all just part of it. :D

Suggestions please...

A big collection could be termed an Ass Whole

Guest John Johnson

President Ford's voice is slurred because he suffered two minor strokes in August 2000, but since then he has made a good recovery and there is nothing really wrong with him. At 91 it is to be expected that he would walk with a cane. Perhaps he will outlive President Clinton, who after all underwent quadruple bypass surgery in September 2004 when his coronary arteries were found to be more than 90% clogged up. Not a good prognosis for a man who had just turned 58.

Well Clinton could be a possibility. I mean I would hate for him to pass away at still a relatively young age. But LBJ wasn't much older (64) when he died of heart disease in 1973. Carter is still healthy, but his father and all of his siblings have died of pancreatic cancer before the age of 65. His mother died of breast cancer at 85. And Bush Sr. has had a bit of heart trouble in the past. He was hospitalized breifly for irregular heartbeat in May of 1991 and again in early 2000, but he still jumps out of airplanes! And Barbara Bush has a family history of cancer. According to her memoir, she lost a brother in 1993 to the disease and a sister in 1999. And don't forget they lost a daughter to leukemia. So I guess all of the ex presidents could be fair game in the next few years.

But Gerald Ford is still an old man who is obviously declining if from nothing else just being nearly 92 years old.

And who knows, Gerald Ford might outlive Betty Ford. It happened with the Nixons. Pat Nixon died of lung cancer on June 22, 1993 at 81 (She was a heavy smoker in private). Richard Nixon died after suffering a stroke exactly 10 monthes later on April 22, 1994 also at 81. Statistics do show that men are gradually surpassing women in terms of life expectancy.

Guest Guest

Could Ford really outlive Clinton?

Could Ford really outlive Clinton?

Interesting question. One wonders what Capitol Watchers would make of it if he would.

regards,

Hein

Guest Guest

I'm guessing good ole Jerry will either sucumb to another stroke or fall down some airplane steps and break a hip or something. As for Bill well I just don't know.

Guest bush fan

ive been told by people in republican circles that gerald ford is declinining rapidly and can no longer walk or speak..theyre worried that he may get pneumonia which would probnbably kill him so hes not allowed to leave his bed.

Former President Gerald Ford does not seem to be in such bad shape. According to the latest report, he will be making a guest appearance at the Countrywide American Ski Classic in Golden Peak/Vail Mountain, Colorado next week.

American Ski Classic

It will be interesting to see what kind of shape Ford is in if he does make it to the ski event. And if he doesn't appear, well he most likely is declining rapidly.

Guest ex prez

That's an interesting post from Bushfan. I'm suprised that the media and tabloids haven't been delving further into Ford's deteriorating health. I mean with Ronnie it was like everytime he coughed the media was reporting it. If Ford is infact bedridden and supposedly cannot talk, I just wonder why this hasn't been reported on the news. Anyone?

It will be interesting to see what kind of shape Ford is in if he does make it to the ski event. And if he doesn't appear, well he most likely is declining rapidly.

I am not able to find any evidence that Gerald Ford made, or was expected to make an actual appearance at this event, only that he was "hosting" it in Vail Valley where he has a home.

We are obviously not the only folk waiting patiently or not so patiently.

Guest death list watcher

And if Ford is declining, Dubya will save the day by including him in the Terri Schiavo emergency legislation to keep the old boy alive a while longer!

I am not able to find any evidence that Gerald Ford made, or was expected to make an actual appearance at this event, only that he was "hosting" it in Vail Valley where he has a home.

You were right Captain Oates. Former President Gerald Ford failed to make an appearance at the American Ski Classic event this weekend. This gives more creditability to reports that he is not in good health.

Guest Guest

That doesn't sound too good. I'm guessing we'll be hearing news of Ford's death in the next few monthes.

Guest Guest

I am predicting that both Gerald Ford and Lady Bird Johnson will pass away in 2005. They are only about 6 monthes apart in age and according to numerous reports in seriously declining health. These 2 deathes will be the end of a remarkable era in American political history.