Godot

Fascinating Creatures - Squids

There is a 2007 DL candidate who would be an excellent "Patron Saint" of our beloved squid thread. Can anyone name this person, and the link to this thread? It's only slightly tenuous - about two degrees of separation.

One point for the first correct answer.

Can I have an outside bet on Vera Lynn suffering from the same condition ATJ alerted us to earlier on?

A Squid Beak is not always what it seems.

There is a 2007 DL candidate who would be an excellent "Patron Saint" of our beloved squid thread. Can anyone name this person, and the link to this thread? It's only slightly tenuous - about two degrees of separation.

Is it Kirk Douglas? Was he in 20,000 Leagues under the Sea and the sub is attacked by a giant squid?

I could have checked but I thought a guess would be more fun :)

OK, enough suspense. Olveres is correct - The King of Chin himself, Kirk Douglas, was indeed in the 1954 film version of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, in which the submarine Nautilus is attacked by a giant squid.

Finding (out about) Nemo

The most useful line in wiki's summary is the explanation of the title, which I had never understood. If a league is equal to three miles, I always wondered how a submarine could be 60,000 miles below the surface. But what Jules Verne meant was that the submarine travelled underwater for 20,000 leagues, i.e. not straight down but across the ocean.

Fascinating.

Is it Kirk Douglas? Was he in 20,000 Leagues under the Sea and the sub is attacked by a giant squid?

I could have checked but I thought a guess would be more fun ;)

OK, enough suspense. Olveres is correct - The King of Chin himself, Kirk Douglas, was indeed in the 1954 film version of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, in which the submarine Nautilus is attacked by a giant squid.

Finding (out about) Nemo

The most useful line in wiki's summary is the explanation of the title, which I had never understood. If a league is equal to three miles, I always wondered how a submarine could be 60,000 miles below the surface. But what Jules Verne meant was that the submarine travelled underwater for 20,000 leagues, i.e. not straight down but across the ocean.

Fascinating.

Back of the net!!!! :)

And I remain pointless. :)

Guest Guest
The bigger the squid, the bigger the problem.
"If anyone else has got any ideas on how to defrost a huge animal of this size please do get in touch with us cos we are willing to listen to anyone,"

I've got an idea, but it'll take bloody big microwave and a rather large tupperware container. I think I'll send 'em an email to let 'em know.

They may have taken your advice

And I remain pointless. :(

in so many ways...

:P

Not bad, only 5 mins before that very hurtful and completely unwarranted reply got posted.

From one of the clear favourites though. :P

The Borgnine guess was good, though, considering how he appeared on Spongebob Squarepants...

Play squid hunter

I don't see what the fuss is all about re Giant squid - clearly they are far more easier to hunt then the little pesky buggars.

I only managed a measely level 3, 125 points on first go - off to try and better my squid hunting abilities!

Edited - Now 141 but still level 3!

Edited - Now 176 but still level 3!

and after 20 minutes hard core squid action it is time methinks to get a life. Have a good friday night!

Play squid hunter

I don't see what the fuss is all about re Giant squid - clearly they are far more easier to hunt then the little pesky buggars.

I only managed a measely level 3, 125 points on first go - off to try and better my squid hunting abilities!

and after 20 minutes hard core squid action it is time methinks to get a life. Have a good friday night!

May I suggest it's already too late? ;)

Play squid hunter

I managed only level 3, 108 points. I hit some little ones but ;) only because I happened

to be aiming for a pair of bigger ones and missed. :P

477171039_40441118d01.jpg

Looks like the squid ranters got the wrong guy. It's not Brazil that have got a squid running the country...

oval_office_squid.gif

squid-toon.jpg

Looks like the squid ranters got the wrong guy. It's not Brazil that have got a squid running the country...

oval_office_squid.gif

squid-toon.jpg

Oofah! Looks like Dick Cheney has put on a ton of weight, and check out those age spots!

Oofah! Looks like Dick Cheney has put on a ton of weight, and check out those age spots!

Maybe they're birdshot scars.

Apologies if this has already been posted, read it, liked it...

A squid joke..

One fine day in a small restaurant in a small town by a small river in

a small county of France, there was a chef named Le-Faice. Le-Faice

was a big butch Frenchman who took enormous pride in his strange and

unusual variety of cuisine... until one day when a young waiter

requested a squid for one of the customers. "The squid must be mild-

mannered, green of colour, and have a moustache!" exclaimed the

waiter.

"No problem!" replied Le-Faice, "We have one left."

But there were problems, for as Le-Faice prepared to slaughter the

freak squid, he couldn't help noticing how cute it looked sitting on

his chopping board. In fact, after 3 attempts at raising his cleaver

to kill the squid, a tear rolled down his cheek with pity. "I can not

do it!" he cried "I can not kill this poor defenceless, mild-mannered,

moustached squid of the green complexion".

So, Le-Faice grabbed Hans (the German dish-washer) and gave him the

cleaver. "Kill!" shouted Le-Faice, pointing at the squid, but Hans was

weak and was also unable to bring harm to such a cute looking thing.

And you know what that means?

Hans that does dishes is as soft as Le-Faice with mild green hairy-

lipped squids!

The squid looks like a sleeping bag or a deflated air balloon that drifted to sea. I'm more interested in the creatures that have light bulbs on their heads. If anything that is one of the worlds dynamite wonders.

The human condition and the reality of our nature is also worth a talk. I'm thinking about starting a discussion but in order for others to get my idea I would have to be very clear about the propaganda I would be presenting. I still haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I would have to be very clear about the propaganda I would be presenting. I still haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Agenda? Paraphernalia? Proforma?

More clarity, less propaganda, Heir Scream, Jawohl!

I'm more interested in the creatures that have light bulbs on their heads. If anything that is one of the worlds dynamite wonders.

You'd like this page then Banshees.

I'm more interested in the creatures that have light bulbs on their heads. If anything that is one of the worlds dynamite wonders.

You'd like this page then Banshees.

Off topic unless there is an established Hitler-squid connection which wouldn't surprise me, but that same website has an interesting item on Hitler bars. I suppose since most are in South Korea they probably serve squid.