Godot

Fascinating Creatures - Squids

This is really a connoisseur's video. You need to get 3mins 30 sec in to the thing before you get to the relevant observation. No wonder there is so much interest in squid beak.

The foot fetishists should enjoy it too.

What a whopper!

What a whopper!

Wow!

I see our reference point is the not so "ubiquitous" London bus. Does that suggest several will come along at once. Will we have a squid fest of discoveries?

The colossal squid that was caught last year is making a comeback. Scientists are going to defrost and dissect him. Squid horror fans can watch the action live here

J. Baldwin's Calamari with Buerre Blanc

http://www.recipezaar.com/299086

35 min | 20 min prep | SERVES 6 -8

1 lb calamari steaks

2 cups breading flour

4 tablespoons capers

4 green onions, chopped

1-2 tomato, diced

1 tablespoon shallots, chopped

1 tablespoon peppercorns

2 bay leaves

1 lemon, juice of

8 ounces unsalted butter, cubed

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup white wine

1/8 cup heavy cream salt and pepper

canola oil (for frying)

Beurre Blanc Sauce: In medium saucepan add 1 Tbs olive oil on medium heat, add shallots, black peppercorns and bay leaves. Saute 2 minutes, add lemon juice, wine and cream. Let reduce by half. Lower heat to lowest setting. Cut butter into squares. Whisk into sauce 2 cubes at a time until all butter is gone. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve sauce in cool area.

Prepare calamari: Cut calamari into strips and coat with breading flour. Set fry oil at 375 - use deep fry pan or fry daddy with at least 3-4 inches of canola oil. Fry calamari 3-4 minutes until golden. Warm sauce, add capers, tomatoes and scallions. Add fried calamari and toss together.

Prepare calamari: Cut calamari into strips and coat with breading flour. Set fry oil at 375

As tasty as this sounds, unfortunately I was unable to follow the recipe, as my stove struggled to get my oil to the requisite 375 degrees C. This does seem to be a little on the warm side, seeing as it's past the melting point of zinc, close to the melting point of aluminium and I'd be unable to test whether I've reached it or not, due to the mercury in my thermometer having just boiled.

Oh, hang on, those were in imperial US measurements... Now, if I could just find an online converter to tell me how long a US minute is.

Prepare calamari: Cut calamari into strips and coat with breading flour. Set fry oil at 375

As tasty as this sounds, unfortunately I was unable to follow the recipe, as my stove struggled to get my oil to the requisite 375 degrees C. This does seem to be a little on the warm side, seeing as it's past the melting point of zinc, close to the melting point of aluminium and I'd be unable to test whether I've reached it or not, due to the mercury in my thermometer having just boiled.

Oh, hang on, those were in imperial US measurements... Now, if I could just find an online converter to tell me how long a US minute is.

That would depend on what state you're having your minute in .... f'rinstance a New York Minute is quicker, say, than a Pennsylvania minute and so forth. Of course there has been a great deal of debate about exactly how long that is. The late Johnny Carson described it as the interval between when the traffic light turns green and the guy behind you starts honking his horn.

[geekalert] honez, honez, honez, I'm sorry to have to be a... now let me see what is the word I search, ah yes pedant, however the melting point of zinc is in fact a shade under 420 °C. Whilst erring on the side of pedantism, I feel it is my duty to clarify that the melting point of aluminium is ca. 660 °C. Of course this all depends on how we define close, if we are talking in relation to the melting point of tungsten then yes the mp of Al is close to that of the recipe!

So as long as we are not dealing with Kelvins (in which case 375 K being a little over the boiling point of water would pose little problems to your domestic apparatus), you could cook your squid in a stainless steel pan (NON Teflon coated - melting point issues :rolleyes: ). As for the oil, here there might be a problem. I'm not an organic chemist and thus the concept of watching a reaction reflux for 5 hours has long since passed me by, but 375 °C is probably too hot for mineral or paraffin oil (both suitable for human use I believe, see chronic constipation), you could always invest in a heating mantle and you'll be needing some thermocouples, for instance, to verify you've acquired the correct temperature before you sauté your squid.

Bon appétit (and no, I don't know the melting points of elements by heart, I just knew there had been a bit of artistic underestimation!)

Another little zinc fact for all you factoids out there, there is a high concentration of zinc in semen: perhaps there is a link between zinc deficiency and blindness the catholics have failed to pounce upon?

That would depend on what state you're having your minute in .... f'rinstance a New York Minute is quicker, say, than a Pennsylvania minute and so forth. Of course there has been a great deal of debate about exactly how long that is. The late Johnny Carson described it as the interval between when the traffic light turns green and the guy behind you starts honking his horn.

Now thats a conundrum, do we have different ideas as to how long a minute is?

For example I have deduced that a minute in the LFN household is as long as it takes for me to climb onboard and hear Lady FN say "Is that it?"

Just what is your typical minute pop pickers?

[geekalert] honez, honez, honez, I'm sorry to have to be a... now let me see what is the word I search, ah yes pedant, however the melting point of zinc is in fact a shade under 420 °C. Whilst erring on the side of pedantism, I feel it is my duty to clarify that the melting point of aluminium is ca. 660 °C. Of course this all depends on how we define close, if we are talking in relation to the melting point of tungsten then yes the mp of Al is close to that of the recipe!

So as long as we are not dealing with Kelvins (in which case 375 K being a little over the boiling point of water would pose little problems to your domestic apparatus), you could cook your squid in a stainless steel pan (NON Teflon coated - melting point issues :rolleyes: ). As for the oil, here there might be a problem. I'm not an organic chemist and thus the concept of watching a reaction reflux for 5 hours has long since passed me by, but 375 °C is probably too hot for mineral or paraffin oil (both suitable for human use I believe, see chronic constipation), you could always invest in a heating mantle and you'll be needing some thermocouples, for instance, to verify you've acquired the correct temperature before you sauté your squid.

Bon appétit (and no, I don't know the melting points of elements by heart, I just knew there had been a bit of artistic underestimation!)

Another little zinc fact for all you factoids out there, there is a high concentration of zinc in semen: perhaps there is a link between zinc deficiency and blindness the catholics have failed to pounce upon?

Monkey, do you read VIZ, by any chance?

There is a touch of the Mr Logic about that post.

By God you are smooth!

Ah, yes, quite correct Monoclinic. I must have confused my zinc saucepan with my Cadmium and Lead saute pan. It's about as much use as a chocolate saucepan at these temperatures (or even a Polonium one, with a spectacularly fine monoclinic crystalline structure). I thank you for pointing out my unforced error -- probably caused by the vapours off the mercury steam.

probably caused by the vapours off the mercury steam.

Oh well at least that's the syphillis cured!

What a whopper!

What a whopper!

Wow!

I see our reference point is the not so "ubiquitous" London bus. Does that suggest several will come along at once. Will we have a squid fest of discoveries?

The colossal squid that was caught last year is making a comeback. Scientists are going to defrost and dissect him. Squid horror fans can watch the action live here

Things are getting a little heated!

This article "seems to have been produced for the sole purpose of disgusting and enthralling salacious 14-year-olds everywhere. It’s got giant squids, huge penises, and death by sex." Giant Squids Inject Selves with Semen, Die.

vampire_squid.JPG

Vampire squid.

I found this little fellow in my Kinder egg:

cthuhulu.thumbnail.jpg

I initially thought it was the Great Cthulhu. But on further examination, I think it is just a squid.

Prompted by MPFC's suggestion that this was some kind of common room (it isn't) I began to wonder whether squid might branch out in to other things so keyed in "squid football" on Google and came up with this disappointingly American take on the game/squid. I wonder if Squid have been associated with other human/domestic activities. Squid ironing perhaps or marbles.

I tried "squid tiddlywinks" and it produced this - a cephalopod who likes making lists. Now where have I come across one of those before?

Squid nibbles, ideal for squidnics.

CuttlefishSnack.jpg

On a scale from 1 - 10 how serious do we really take this thread? I don't understand the obsession. I admit that squid along with other creatures who roam the downstairs of the sea are interesting, but squid for example is the most disgusting sh*t ever. Then again, I don't eat most seafood in general.

On a scale from 1 - 10 how serious do we really take this thread? I don't understand the obsession. I admit that squid along with other creatures who roam the downstairs of the sea are interesting, but squid for example is the most disgusting sh*t ever. Then again, I don't eat most seafood in general.

I think I'll have the nostril sashimi with a side of lips.

rrhinora2.jpg

Studies have revealed that before they have even hatched, cuttlefish embryos can peer out of their eggs and spot potential prey.

_44716463_embryo_bbc_226.jpg

Cuttlefish are great, although prone to bouts of manic depression. :rolleyes:

That little chap looks less manically depressed, and more suffering from deep existential ennui if you ask me.

_44716463_embryo_bbc_226.jpg

Cuttlefish are great, although prone to bouts of manic depression. :rolleyes:

It looks like this guy overfed the squid in his fish tank...

normal_octopied_building.jpg

Man caught with octopus sex images on his computer. Watch out Godot, they're onto your squidophile ring.

Sounds like he was a sucker for octopus.