Phantom

Jesus - The Tombinator

Well, James Cameron claims to have found the long lost tomb of Jesus and his family.

link

Anyone else dubious about these new claims?

Well, James Cameron claims to have found the long lost tomb of Jesus and his family.

link

According to the gogglebox tonight, the names on the ossuary 'Jesus, son of Joseph' were so common at the time that it would be on a par today with 'Phil, son of Steve'. On the subject of death though, James Cameron's career. Isn't making docos for the Discovery Channel a bit of a step down from three hundred million dollar movies?

link

According to the gogglebox tonight, the names on the ossuary 'Jesus, son of Joseph' were so common at the time that it would be on a par today with 'Phil, son of Steve'.

And besides, it looks like Kathy Reichs already beat 'em to it. (Ah yes... Kathy Reichs, purveyor of knowledge and truth.)

It don't matter to Jesus!

Jesus wasn't his proper name anyway - that's what the Greeks called him..

Unless they can find someone alive or the remains of someone who is proven to be related to "Jesus" I don't understand how they can claim that they have the actual remains. Even with DNA all they'll be able to prove is that people who the remains in the tomb belong to were related to each other.

Unless they can find someone alive or the remains of someone who is proven to be related to "Jesus" I don't understand how they can claim that they have the actual remains. Even with DNA all they'll be able to prove is that people who the remains in the tomb belong to were related to each other.

They obviously took a sample from the Turin shroud :banghead:

But surely if the Bible could trace the line of David down to Jesus (...Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson and all that guff) some astute scholar can trace the lineage on from there. Maybe there's some chap in Glastonbury, The South of France, Tel Aviv or Essex who is the living descendant of old beardie bollocks.

"Kevin which is the son of Darren which is the son of Barry which is the son of Wayne etc..."

But surely if the Bible could trace the line of David down to Jesus (...Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson and all that guff) some astute scholar can trace the lineage on from there. Maybe there's some chap in Glastonbury, The South of France, Tel Aviv or Essex who is the living descendant of old beardie bollocks.

"Kevin which is the son of Darren which is the son of Barry which is the son of Wayne etc..."

Didn't Wayne have a twin brother called Duane?

I believe that the gospel goes something like "And thus it was that there in The Crystal Tavern and Wayne spake "Why hast thou stitched me up like a kipper". Duane thus smote Wayne with one swift blow from the broken pint glass of Tetley.

Goodness me, imagine if scientists did track down the descendant of Jesus - he/she wouldn't be able to cope with the media stampede...

James Cameron is a attention seeking da vinci code supporting f*****g half wit. The tomb is not located in Nazereth, but is located in Jerusalem. In that time these collection of names were common, and I doubt Jesus had a son although it wouldn't change much in the religion if he did. I would hate to scare somebody, but by the time were on the very road which leads to the end of the world, I expect anything.

Guest Guest
I expect anything.

Even the Spanish Inquisition?

I expect anything.

Even the Spanish Inquisition?

Sorry forgot to do that logging in thing!

Some guy did that a few years ago. Apparently TV's Paul Shane (Ted Bovis in Hi-de-Hi) is a direct descendant.

My god! You're right,

Get me Dan Brown and James Cameron on conference call!

jesus.gif

w1430x.jpg

I am kind of worried that that is a scanned in photo, personally signed and cherished all these years! Did you also have a crush on Peggy?

BTW I have a signed photo of Colin Baker in Dr Who costume and also Lofty from Eastenders. Fortunately Unfortunately I don't know what I have done with them! Anyone else got any embarassing autographs from their childhood?

Isn't it wonderful! As we move forward into the 2nd Millennium CE, the world is still spellbound by superstition and relics. I'm a big fan of yer actual relics. I like a good relic, so I do. Whenever I'm in a Catholic country, I make it my mission to have a good furtle around the local relics. Thus far, I've seen several dozen pieces of the 'true cross,' as well as several nails ,Jesus' foreskin (which looked a little like a manky Ringo,) underpants and, of course, the House of Mary , which was apparently flown from Nazereth to either Turkey, Italy or the former Yugoslavia depending who you believe. I love that last link...

Loreto seems to have the best chance of actually possessing Mary's house. Its claim is based on architectural and historical proofs. Investigations showed that its dimensions were identical to those of the House of the Holy Family that was missing from its place of enshrinement in a basilica of Nazareth. Markings found in the stones of this house are similar to those found at Nazareth. Those and other elements weigh in favor of a translation (sea? sky?) of the house to Loreto.

That's right. 'Architectural and historical proofs' of the sort that will no doubt be wheeled out to 'prove' / 'disprove' that this discovery of Mr. Christ's tomb is legit. Or will the Vatican not want to risk another Turin Shroud debacle?

...the House of Mary , which was apparently flown from Nazereth to either Turkey, Italy or the former Yugoslavia depending who you believe.

There is competition between those who claim to have the so called "Casa Santa"

What? Anubis are you telling me Santa no longer lives in lapland. I feel cheated and deceived if this is so.

Doesn't this demonstrate beautifully the problems of Faith i.e. 'we can't prove anything but we insist you believe it anyway' wrapped up in layers of guilt aimed at those who question 'Faith' to make them feel weaker for daring not to accept without question?

The Ephesus house, its existence and location, is based on the visions of Catherine Emmerich, but lacks solid historical and architectural tradition. The discussion among scholars leads to a negative assessment and is considered final. All this should not demean the importance of these shrines for our faith. We bring our faith to these monuments, we do not receive it from them. Bringing our faith to Loreto or Ephesus we contemplate important aspects of Mary's life, in particular the wonderful story of Jesus' coming into the flesh and his growing in wisdom before God and the world.

If stuff like the above wasn't about religion it would be dismissed out of hand as lunatic toss. As indeed it would be if a new religion tried to prove its credentials with statements like the above.

Never forget, fact into doubt won't go. :lol:

If Mary Magdalene had a son was Jesus a step father figure that wasn't one and never mentioned it because Magdalene's son wasn't in his plan?

It seems to me that most of us are going to hell thanks to Jesus' bizarre list of requirements. Well, that would include me certainly. We could also discuss why most of us will be in the same boat. Wouldn't it have been better for most of us if Jesus had completely abandoned "the plan"?