A pointless discussion w/another DL Member inspired this topic: which famous person is mentioned in the most different pop songs? We're talking real people here, so please spare us "Jesus Christ" or any of that ilk. I can think of one person who is named in at least three songs. A point for anyone who can do better.

Candidates on a small, square piece of digital correspondence below, if you please.

A pointless discussion w/another DL Member inspired this topic: which famous person is mentioned in the most different pop songs? We're talking real people here, so please spare us "Jesus Christ" or any of that ilk. I can think of one person who is named in at least three songs. A point for anyone who can do better.

Candidates on a small, square piece of digital correspondence below, if you please.

Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain

That's the problem with these quizesque threads Ronaldo - a bit of googling and bob's your uncle. I would imagine that 90% of skinhead bands (not to mention other Nazi-sympathisers like Bowie) have ditties about Adolf. Kurt Waldheim not so much, but he should at least inspire a poem of thanks from one or other of us death-starved 'Listers.

Kurt Cobain

That's the problem with these quizesque threads Ronaldo - a bit of googling and bob's your uncle. I would imagine that 90% of skinhead bands (not to mention other Nazi-sympathisers like Bowie) have ditties about Adolf. Kurt Waldheim not so much, but he should at least inspire a poem of thanks from one or other of us death-starved 'Listers.

well, after a full two minutes of research into the comprehensive list on the link so kindly posted by LB, I would conclude the following:

1. no one, including the performers themselves, has heard of the vast majority of those songs;

2. virtually none of them mention Kurt Cobain's name;

3. for many of the songs it's a total stretch to say they were inspired by or in any way linked to Burt Kocain, unless he now has total ownership of the concept of troubled males with suicidal thoughts/tendancies, etc.

I'll start us off.

Bette Davis is mentioned in "Vogue", "Bette Davis Eyes" and "Celluloid Heroes" by The Kinks.

I'll get the squid ranters going by saying our "mate".

Levellers - What a beautiful day - "When Guevara said that's crazy, and ordered up a bottle of wine"

Manics - Revol (Lot of name checking there!) - "Che Guevara, you're our target now"

Indian Girl - Rolling Stones - "Mr. gringo, my father he ain't no che guevara"

Pet Shop Boys - Left to My Own Devices - "Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat"

Los Fabulosos Cadillacs - Gallo rojo - Apparently about him, (sounds the right topic for this Argentine group) no name check though only this - Gallo rojo tan valiente, Comandante de este barrio (Red Cock* so valient Commander of this suburb)

(* not exactly Cock (maybe Rooster?). See thread mentioning cocker spaniel as to why cock could be appropriate)

Does the "incesticide obsessed narrator" in Evita count (damn it why didn't I go for her, my first Avatar on this site and all - she has a whole musical, and thats a lot of songs. (albeit ones that more or less sound the same)

Then the "Hasta siempre, Comandante" might just name check him. Don't know who did it originally but wiki tells me Joan Baez has covered it which I can't believe seeing as she loves singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

I think I am probably only scratching the surface too. I'm sure ppl out there could think of more references for El Che del Fidel, Ernestito.

S'cuse the pedantry but on the balance of probabilities Jesus was probably a real person. It's 'a small number of scholars' who disagree, and frankly, there's a few amongst 'scholars' who'd disagree that water is wet. I'm saying nowt about them 'son of God' claims of his, mind.

Failing that his excellency Haile Selassie has a bit of a head start on the competition if you count reggae songs, what with him being a living diety they all worship, and that.

Kurt Cobain

well, after a full two minutes of research into the comprehensive list on the link so kindly posted by LB, I would conclude the following:

1. no one, including the performers themselves, has heard of the vast majority of those songs;

2. virtually none of them mention Kurt Cobain's name;

3. for many of the songs it's a total stretch to say they were inspired by or in any way linked to Burt Kocain, unless he now has total ownership of the concept of troubled males with suicidal thoughts/tendancies, etc.

I'll start us off.

Bette Davis is mentioned in "Vogue", "Bette Davis Eyes" and "Celluloid Heroes" by The Kinks.

Damn, it took me ages to find that list as well... :) He's definitely mentioned in Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Me and My Monkey by Robbie Williams.

If anyone could find 'Baby' she gets around a few songs as well.

I'll get the squid ranters going by saying our "mate".

Levellers - What a beautiful day - "When Guevara said that's crazy, and ordered up a bottle of wine"

Manics - Revol (Lot of name checking there!) - "Che Guevara, you're our target now"

Indian Girl - Rolling Stones - "Mr. gringo, my father he ain't no che guevara"

Pet Shop Boys - Left to My Own Devices - "Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat"

Los Fabulosos Cadillacs - Gallo rojo - Apparently about him, (sounds the right topic for this Argentine group) no name check though only this - Gallo rojo tan valiente, Comandante de este barrio (Red Cock* so valient Commander of this suburb)

(* not exactly Cock (maybe Rooster?). See thread mentioning cocker spaniel as to why cock could be appropriate)

Does the "incesticide obsessed narrator" in Evita count (damn it why didn't I go for her, my first Avatar on this site and all - she has a whole musical, and thats a lot of songs. (albeit ones that more or less sound the same)

Then the "Hasta siempre, Comandante" might just name check him. Don't know who did it originally but wiki tells me Joan Baez has covered it which I can't believe seeing as she loves singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

I think I am probably only scratching the surface too. I'm sure ppl out there could think of more references for El Che del Fidel, Ernestito.

excellent MonoC. There is a "Waltz for Eva and Che" as part of the Evita soundtrack, so you get that one too.

James Dean?

He's mentioned in American Pie and Walk on the Wildside to name two of many. Also Vogue and We didn't start the fire.

If not he then Marilyn Monroe(Candle in the Wind, Vogue, Celluloid Heroes) or Greta Garbo (Vogue, Celluloid Heroes, Bette Davies Eyes and that song about living in the Greta Garbo home for wayward girls and boys)

B) Every celebrity anywhere in the world who thought 'You're So Vain' was about them.

Oh, and Ballrooms of Mars :manages to mention John Lennon, Alan Freed and Bob Dylan all in one verse.

Whilst looking through my MP3 player the other day I began wondering what is the most popular English language song title. i.e. Different songs, same title. I noticed a few repeats but the title "All I want" caught my attention appearing 5 times. By the way none of them are particularly any good (by Offspring, Skunk Anansie, Puressence, Reef and Stone Roses)

Anyone know?

There are ten separate songs called 'Why' that have been UK hits and nine called 'You' that have done the same, albeit one of them only as the title track of a hit EP.

Wintertime, my favorite season, is seriously under-represented in the world of music, considering that there are nine separate songs called Summertime and one album (by theTijuana Brass). I am not even counting songs like In the Summertime, with other words in the title. I really only like one, the Gershwin one, but I like it a lot since I have five different versions of it on my playlist.

Whilst looking through my MP3 player the other day I began wondering what is the most popular English language song title. i.e. Different songs, same title. I noticed a few repeats but the title "All I want" caught my attention appearing 5 times. By the way none of them are particularly any good (by Offspring, Skunk Anansie, Puressence, Reef and Stone Roses)

Anyone know?

Arise Sir Aaron V. Humphrey, trainspotter extraordinaire.

On the whole, I prefer to put songs I like on my mp3 player B) .

There's a Sex Pistols song that name checks a few celebs in a rather derogatory fashion, I sadly don't know the title but I think it's on "The Great Rock and Roll Swindle".

The opening lyrics are:

"God bless Martin Bormann and Nazi's on the run"

other lines include

"Elton John, HAIR TRANSPLANT"

"Mick Jagger, white n@@ger"

Anyone know?

Arise Sir Aaron V. Humphrey, trainspotter extraordinaire.

On the whole, I prefer to put songs I like on my mp3 player B) .

I've been trying to see if I can ever fill up my MP3 player. On reflection it would have been better to do it at a better quality than 128 and not put everything I've ever owned or have on a compilation from the cover of Select! Ahh the teenage years... I also recently made it my mission to "obtain" MP3 copies of albums I previously had on tape.

Legal disclaimer this mission has in no way been completed and I have never been told where one might find music sharing programs to download.

There's a Sex Pistols song that name checks a few celebs in a rather derogatory fashion, I sadly don't know the title but I think it's on "The Great Rock and Roll Swindle".

The opening lyrics are:

"God bless Martin Bormann and Nazi's on the run"

other lines include

"Elton John, HAIR TRANSPLANT"

"Mick Jagger, white n@@ger"

Great song!

It's called 'No One Is Innocent.' Although, in retrospect, it does also include a slightly sickening line about Ian Brady being a lady's man or something. Although maybe I've been mishearing it all these years & they're in fact singing about the ex-Arsenal legend, Liam Brady.

No matter & f**k the analysis, I'm not old enough for that yet! It's a banging* tune.

Cheers,

BHB

* I think this is the 'yoof' of today's equivalent of my generation's 'fab' or 'groovy.'

You binoculars bastard! Get away from my bedroom door, and take that yellow ball of fun with you. :lol:

No matter & f**k the analysis, I'm not old enough for that yet! It's a banging* tune.

Eliot Ness gets a mention in a surprising number of rap songs

In the 1992 song performed by Eric B. & Rakim titled "Know The Ledge" which is the theme to Juice starring Tupac Shakur:

Bulletproof down in case brothers try to bomb me,

Putting brothers to rest like Eliot Ness

Cause I don't like stress

In the opening of the 1996 Tupac Shakur and Dr. Dre song "California Love":

Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west

A state that's untouchable like Eliot Ness

In the 1996 Fugees song "Ready or Not" in Lauryn Hill's verse:

Rap orgies with Porgy and Bess

Capture your bounty like Eliot Ness

In the 1999 Prince Paul song featuring Everlast titled "The Men in Blue":

I got spics sellin' nicks in the LES

I stay untouchable like my name's Eliot Ness

In the second verse of the 2005 Proof song "Clap Wit Me":

Eliot Ness to these f*****g gangstas and killas,

bankin they millions they all wankstas and squealas

In the 2005 Phatal song "Outlaws":

So picture that, me and Chin resemble the best,

We outlaws, while y'all kids is Eliot Ness

In the 2006 song "Untouchables" by DMX:

U-N-T-O-U-C-H, A-B-L-E-S,

Sheek the new Eliot Ness

In the 2006 Styles P song featuring Snype Life, Straw and Bully titled "Discipline":

Knockin' A Tribe Called Quest

I'm comin for you bad guys like I'm Eliot Ness

In the Plan B song "Kidz", featured on the soundtrack of Kidulthood:

I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness

bjorkdiddy.gif

Eliot Ness gets a mention in a surprising number of rap songs

In the 1992 song performed by Eric B. & Rakim titled "Know The Ledge" which is the theme to Juice starring Tupac Shakur:

Bulletproof down in case brothers try to bomb me,

Putting brothers to rest like Eliot Ness

Cause I don't like stress

In the opening of the 1996 Tupac Shakur and Dr. Dre song "California Love":

Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west

A state that's untouchable like Eliot Ness

In the 1996 Fugees song "Ready or Not" in Lauryn Hill's verse:

Rap orgies with Porgy and Bess

Capture your bounty like Eliot Ness

In the 1999 Prince Paul song featuring Everlast titled "The Men in Blue":

I got spics sellin' nicks in the LES

I stay untouchable like my name's Eliot Ness

In the second verse of the 2005 Proof song "Clap Wit Me":

Eliot Ness to these f*****g gangstas and killas,

bankin they millions they all wankstas and squealas

In the 2005 Phatal song "Outlaws":

So picture that, me and Chin resemble the best,

We outlaws, while y'all kids is Eliot Ness

In the 2006 song "Untouchables" by DMX:

U-N-T-O-U-C-H, A-B-L-E-S,

Sheek the new Eliot Ness

In the 2006 Styles P song featuring Snype Life, Straw and Bully titled "Discipline":

Knockin' A Tribe Called Quest

I'm comin for you bad guys like I'm Eliot Ness

In the Plan B song "Kidz", featured on the soundtrack of Kidulthood:

I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness

Ahhh. Detectives in songs. It reminds me of:

Whodunit

Who stole my baby

Whodunit

Everyone in the room looks shady

Whodunit

Who stole my girl from me (Yeah)

Whodunit

Who took my honey

Whodunit

I know the motive was not funny

Whodunit

It's a bedside mystery (Yeah, yeah)

Hey, where's the phone to call Sherlock Holmes

[somebody took my baby]

I've been framed by what's his name

and he's gettin' away Charlie Chan, see if you can

Help me find those two, won't you

Where were you on the night of the 12th

[i was by myself]

She went dancin' in the dark,

somebody stole her heart Ellery Queen if you're so keen

Won't you help me find my sweet thing (Yeah, yeah)

Whodunit

Who stole my baby

Whodunit

Whodunit

Who stole my girl from me (Yeah)

Whodunit

(Whodunit)

Who took my honey

Whodunit

Whodunit

(Whodunit)

It's a bedside mystery

The place is surrounded

[The place is surrounded]

Nobody leaves till I found her

[Nobody leaves till I found her]

Until this case is solved

It's up against the wall, you all

Whodunit

(I wonder, wonder who)

Who stole my baby

Whodunit

(Whodunit)

Whodunit

(I wonder who, was is you)

Who stole my girl from me

(Hey Baretta, won't you please go get her)

Whodunit

(For cryin' out loud)

Who took my honey

Whodunit

(Somebody call McCloud)

Whodunit

(Where is my baby)

It's a bedside mystery

(Yeah, Kojak won't you bring her back)

Whodunit

(Ironside, don't you let her slide)

Who stole my baby

Whodunit

(Tell Dirty Harry)

(We're supposed to get married)

Whodunit

Who stole my girl from me

(From me, from me

....or, as an alternative...

Nice girls not one with a defect,

Cellophane shrink-wrapped, so correct.

Red dogs under illegal legs.

She looks so good that he gets down and begs.

She is watching the detectives.

"ooh, he's so cute!"

She is watching the detectives

when they shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot.

They beat him up until the teardrops start,

but he can't be wounded 'cause he's got no heart.

Long shot of that jumping sign,

Visible shivers running down my spine.

Cut to the baby taking off her clothes.

Close-up of the sign that says,"We never close"

You snatch a tune and match a cigarette,

She pulls the eyes out with a face like a magnet.

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

She's filing her nails while they're dragging the lake.

chorus

You think you're alone until you realize you're in it.

Now fear is here to stay. Love is here for a visit.

They call it instant justice when it's past the legal limit.

Someone's scratching at the window. I wonder who is it?

The detectives come to check if you belong to the parents

who are ready to hear the worst about their daughter's disappearance.

Though it nearly took a miracle to get you to stay,

It only took my little fingers to blow you away.

Just like watching the detectives.

Don't get cute!"

It's just like watching the detectives.

I get so angry when the teardrops start,

But he can't be wounded 'cause he's got no heart.

Watching the detectives.

It's just like watching the detectives.

One of the best ones. :pop: