Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Bob Monkhouse

Does any body else find the new advert on the (UK) telly featuring Mr Monkhouse a bit hmmmmmmm, how can I put it, spooky?

Does any body else find the new advert on the (UK) telly featuring Mr Monkhouse a bit hmmmmmmm, how can I put it, spooky?

Spooky?

Thousands of posts on here discussing which celeb will die first and you think that advert is Spooky?

Bizarre. ;)

Spooky?

Thousands of posts on here discussing which celeb will die first and you think that advert is Spooky?

Bizarre. ;)

Yes, but he's already dead

Spooky?

Bizarre. ;)

Yes, but he's already dead

Is he?

He aint looking too bad for a dead un!

Is he?

He aint looking too bad for a dead un!

Yes, that's what makes it so weird to watch

To be serious for a moment, I think it's a great advert and 'spooky' or not, it's making an impact. Fair play to the man.

I find it odder that he's gone - even now. I used to live in the next town from him and know full well where that graveyard is - it's in a lovely spot on the Bedfordshire/Buckinghamshire border.

Despite not always coming across favourably on screen, in real life Bob was a lovely man, who I had the pleasure of meeting many times. He gave so much time & effort to charity in life, it's not really surprising that he also should give it in death.

Also, I think the message given out is stronger & more poignant than had it been with a prostate cancer survivor, say, Sir Stirling Moss.

I have given a "few bob" for this appeal and I hope others do so too - it's all for the good, this advert.

And seeing Bob Monkhouse alive on screen, for me, is no more spooky than seeing any dead star on any repeated film or TV show. Maybe it's just the setting that un-nerves HCW?

How was it done? Did he do a part of it knowing he was gonna cop it, or is it all trick photography/done with mirrors/computers etc?

Good point about Bob OoO. Despite his 'smarmy' image, he was considered one of the most modest and self-effacing men in 'The Biz'..

It might be for a good cause but I was too busy trying to "see the join" and work out how it was done for it to have much impact on me.

Is that his real grave btw? It looks rather plain.

I never met him but have known a few people who have and they all agree that he was a lovely man in person.

Is that his real grave btw? It looks rather plain.

Yes. That's the way he wanted it.

In Eggington, where he lived, he'd often come into the pub for a drink, same as any other bloke. He was just plain old Bob there, a normal resident. So having a huge, ornate grave in that quiet peaceful churchyard, just 500 metres or so from where he lived, would've been out of touch for both the private & (local) public persona.

Don't forget two sons pre-deceased him and one of their graves in the same graveyard (the other was cremated) is quite "simple" as well, so I think Bob would've been loath to have anything too grand as a result.

It's only now, "seeing" him every day in WH Smiths or the TV, that I miss seeing him round the local area more than in the early days after his death.

Maybe it's just the setting that un-nerves HCW?

No, it's not that, it's just knowing he's dead, and this new advert being done after he died.

Maybe it's just the setting that un-nerves HCW?

No, it's not that, it's just knowing he's dead, and this new advert being done after he died.

So did the advert years back with Marilyn Monroe clipped from Some Like it Hot and talking to Griff Rhys Jones unnerve you?

So did the advert years back with Marilyn Monroe clipped from Some Like it Hot and talking to Griff Rhys Jones unnerve you?

Nah! That was too obviously trick camera work, I think it might be him talking about his own demise and how it happened to him (past tense) I found a bit strange.

I miss Bob...Sob Sob Sob.....

Which advert is this? I dont think Ive seen it yet or maybe I have but didnt notice.

Ok, it is perceived that the Advert is, perhaps, a little " Spooky".

What about those complete plums who think its a spiffing idea to record their last will and testament for viewing by their loved ones after they have died?

What kind of twisted logic would persuade somebody to do that to people they love?

Of course if it was a message of spite it could work beautifully...................

Thanks for the link, Mary. I have,nt seen it before and would have surely remembered it if I had being so morbid as I am!

I dont think its in bad taste at all. Why do so many people have the attitude that when someone dies everyone has to be apologetic ? Like it or not it happens to us all in the end and in this day and age where everything is exploited its not a big deal. If someone had used his image to advertise -say baked beans for example then it would have been insensitive but for something as serious as prostate cancer it hits home. Im sure his family are fully behind it otherwise it would,nt have been shown? Bob was a great entertainer and I was genuinely sad when he died but hes still around making us aware of a killer disease.

His family must be behind it and he was open and honest about the condition when he was alive. In other words - to trot out an old cliche - it's the way he would have wanted it.

Yul Brynner did

for the American Cancer Society not too long before he died. It was aired after his death. Not as funny, but it was, I believe, the first time this sort of thing was done.

Bob's cultural legacy looks like being more than just a big book of corny jokes. Hopefully he was a fan of public information films and taped Reginald Molehusband and his pathetic parking, which has sadly been lost to posterity.

For those too young to remember, PIFs were great - full of Kevin Keegan, Dave Prowse, Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris... and the truly evil Donald Unpleasance.