1971: Nikita Khrushchev

1972: Harry S. Truman

1973: Lyndon Baines Johnson

1974: Georges Pompidou

1975: Moe Howard

1976: Mao Tse Tung

:sicktherm:

1975: Moe Howard <_<

Correct. Surely there was more significant death that year...

Guest Guest
Benazir Bhutto provided the last minute extravaganza at the exit of 2007 but I don't think her death will equal the media capacity Anna Nicole Smith received for at least two hardcore months...Anna Nicole Smith gets my vote for death of the year.

The usual Americentric rubbish from this prize idiot.

I can name 500 beings who died this year who did more notable things than Anna Nicole Smith. This includes dust mites, mind.

O really? The word you choose to use is Americentric? Well explain to me what other major celebrity in the UK dropped dead six months after their son who was twenty years younger and which exploited a major trial over their new born which attracted several false father figures - some of them completely random individuals. O and it occupied most major news sources for a solid two months.

Benazir Bhutto was a significant tragedy in Pakistan and it only complicates everything there but understand that she was warned at all limits and she took the possibility of assassination in her own mind as being very probable. Her quote reads in this video' These are risks I have to take' 'And I am prepared to take them' http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/27/v...ut_n_78426.html

Her death is significant but not the most significant. Even Maryportfuncity suggested her as a prime possibility 24 hours before she was killed. It wasn't obvious but it sure as hell wasn't one great big surprise.

Now the next time you choose to rant a little scum bag remark like that don't forget to log in.

Most Significant? Benazir Bhutto.

If this poll was 'most famous' or 'most interesting death' it might be a different story.

Guest Guest

O really? The word you choose to use is Americentric? Well explain to me what other major celebrity in the UK dropped dead six months after their son who was twenty years younger and which exploited a major trial over their new born which attracted several false father figures - some of them completely random individuals. O and it occupied most major news sources for a solid two months.

Benazir Bhutto was a significant tragedy in Pakistan and it only complicates everything there but understand that she was warned at all limits and she took the possibility of assassination in her own mind as being very probable. Her quote reads in this video' These are risks I have to take' 'And I am prepared to take them' http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/27/v...ut_n_78426.html

Her death is significant but not the most significant. Even Maryportfuncity suggested her as a prime possibility 24 hours before she was killed. It wasn't obvious but it sure as hell wasn't one great big surprise.

Now the next time you choose to rant a little scum bag remark like that don't forget to log in.

As usual, everyone and his monkey knows you're wrong, twat. Don't you get just a tiny bit tired of being the DL court jester? I feel for your therapist, I really do. He/she would rather take on Tony Soprano, no doubt.

Most Significant? Benazir Bhutto.

If this poll was 'most famous' or 'most interesting death' it might be a different story.

Why don't I just start a new thread and poll about this very topic?

1976 Sid James

1979 Peter Butterworth

1980 Hattie Jacques

1988 Charles Hawtrey/Kenneth Williams

1992 Frankie Howerd

1993 Kenneth Connor/Bernard Bresslaw

1994 Terry Scott

2001 Joan Sims

Now they're significant deaths.....

And as for 2007, well it has to be either John Inman or Amos off of Emmerdale Farm.

Can anyone spot the odd one out?

1969: Dwight D. Eisenhower

1970: Charles de Gaulle

1971: Nikita Khrushchev

1972: Harry S. Truman

1973: Lyndon Baines Johnson

1974: Georges Pompidou

1975: Moe Howard

1976: Mao Tse Tung

<_<

1975: Moe Howard :)

Correct. Surely there was more significant death that year...

How about Chiang Kai-shek? China's prez must be more significant than one of the 3 stooges? And Larry Fine died that year too. One of the stooges is more important than the other? :sicktherm:

1976 Sid James

1979 Peter Butterworth

1980 Hattie Jacques

1992 Frankie Howerd

1994 Terry Scott

2001 Joan Sims

I say, I rather like the cut of your jib. Can't disagree with that list at all.

I think you can also add:

1981 Talbot Rothwell

1993 Gerald Thomas

All a great loss :sicktherm:

Her death is significant but not the most significant.

For 2007 Bhutto is probably the most significant death, and one that could have ramifications for years to come - your comment of "it only complicates everything there" is typical Yank insularity and short sightedness. Possibly the most significant political death (or at least assassination) since Yitzhak Rabin in 1995, so it's laughable that you can dismiss her death as not all that important.

Anna Nicole - tragic, yes, and brought along a huge media circus for a short while, yes, but ultimately not significant. Not even culturally significant seeing as she's not famous for doing anything of importance. She doesn't leave behind a legacy or a body of work. She'll be forgotten in 10 years, if that.

Putting in my penny's worth.

IMHO the most significant deaths for 2007 are ex-equo: Boris Yeltsin, Luciano Pavarotti and Benazir Bhutto.

I wonder why this list of significant deaths doesn't start one year earlier (1962) with Marilyn Monroe.

1976 Sid James

1979 Peter Butterworth

1980 Hattie Jacques

1992 Frankie Howerd

1994 Terry Scott

2001 Joan Sims

1981 Talbot Rothwell

1993 Gerald Thomas

All a great loss :sicktherm:

If only because they were in two of the best, can I also add:

1982 Harry H Corbett

1994 Roy Castle

I have been keeping my own death list since the beginning of 1993 - it is a subjective list of the peple whom I consider to be significant or important, and someone else's list would easily have several different names on it. I reckon that the most significant person to be on my list for each year has been as follows:

1993 Chris Hani

1994 Kim Il-Sung

1995 Harold Wilson

1996 Francois Mitterrand

1997 Princess Diana

1998 Pol Pot

1999 King Hussein of Jordan

2000 Donald Dewar

2001 King Birendra of Nepal

2002 Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother

2003 Roy Jenkins

2004 Ronald Reagan

2005 Pope John Paul II

2006 Saddam Hussein

2007 Benazir Bhutto

Gotta keep Moe Howard on the list for 1975. He was the Bowl-Haircut leader of the 3 Stooges! Moe made millions of people laugh and actually had talent, something that many of those in comedy don't have today.

1976 Sid James

1979 Peter Butterworth

1980 Hattie Jacques

1992 Frankie Howerd

1994 Terry Scott

2001 Joan Sims

1981 Talbot Rothwell

1993 Gerald Thomas

All a great loss :banghead:

If only because they were in two of the best, can I also add:

1982 Harry H Corbett

1994 Roy Castle

Mustn't forget

1981 Eric Rogers...where would the Carry Ons be without music?

Most significant death of 2008 thus far is either Edmund Hillary or Heath Ledger, I say its Hillary that has the edge mostly for the longer amount of time he has been well known.

People have probably posted this, but who cares:

1980 - John Lennon

2001 - George Harrison

1967 - Brian Epstein

Labour leader John Smith for 1994. Had he lived Blair may never have become PM and who knows what that would have meant.

Labour leader John Smith for 1994. Had he lived Blair may never have become PM and who knows what that would have meant.

Handy, what that would have meant, possibly, is that things may not have been as shitty, Gordon Brown wouldnt have been Chancellor who wouldnt have been Prime Minister, something he is utter shite at.

Gordon Browns facial tic is peeing me off big time too.

Handy, what that would have meant, possibly, is that things may not have been as shitty, Gordon Brown wouldnt have been Chancellor who wouldnt have been Prime Minister, something he is utter shite at.

Aye me too. You'd agree that John Smith's death was significant though.

Also 25 years since Karen Carpenter's death and people still care, well I do anyway.

Also 25 years since Karen Carpenter's death and people still care, well I do anyway.

The death of John Smith, for better or worse, reshaped the Political landscape of this Country ( my view only ) so, yes, his death was highly significant.

Karen Carpenters death was the ultimate "tragic waste of a life". My younger years were spent listening to the Carpenters and Dusty Springfield, my mum was a huge fan. Karen Carpenters death was terrible, I can remember hearing it on the Radio after a night out on the sauce.

Yes I care.

I also used to get rocked to sleep to the LPs of one Dionne Warwick.

Me Mums got style :skull:

Guest Danny Ocean

Happy 25th anniversary of :skull: vomit girl's trip into the dirt.

Guest Carpenters Fan

Happy 25th anniversary of :skull: vomit girl's trip into the dirt.

She didn't vomit, that would have ruined her voice. She relied on laxatives and starving herself.