Sign in to follow this  
GracieJc8

Dolores Hope

Now having gotten my bitterness out of the way with, I'd say it's risky. Old is of course, old, and something a simple as a fall could easily be the end of her within days. Wikipedia says that she was "in good health" on her 98th birthday, although seeing as how that fact is uncited, the exact opposite is likely true. So you could put her on and she could go the way of Ernest Gallo or the way of Albert Hofmann. If I say "don't put her on," she could fall down the stairs on January 2 and I'd look like an idiot. I could also say "put her on" and she could sit in her wheelchair and live for another 5 years. So I put forth the following consideration and leave it up to the discretion of the committee: she did do fairly well when both her husband and son died within a year of each other. She's obviously old, but she's nowhere near as sick or frail as someone like - say - Lady Bird Johnson was in the years leading up to her death. I personally think she'll live to see 100, but that's subjective. She will almost certainly get a proper UK obit - probably even a BBC one - by virtue of her marriage to Bob if nothing else. It's really the eternal question of DL here - balancing out the probability of hit versus the quality of candidate - will the complaints be greater if you leave her off and she dies or if you put her on and people are incensed that you've added the 98 year old relative of someone famous? I can't answer that question.

Old is of course, old, and something a simple as a fall could easily be the end of her within days. Wikipedia says that she was "in good health" on her 98th birthday, although seeing as how that fact is uncited, the exact opposite is likely true. If I say "don't put her on," she could fall down the stairs on January 2 and I'd look like an idiot.

'Falling down the stairs was my line for that clown 'Michael Foot'

You are 'so copying me' Paul. Anyway 'Getting serious' you are right about the 'risks of leaving off' it's absolutely devastating. I mean ' LSD's father Dr.Albert Hofmann' and 'Modern Architect' Oscar Niemeyer are both a 'must have'

I have a few Economists and Authors in mind for my DDP along with a few surprises which should make some noise. Next year will no doubt be my most competitive list ever.

Old is of course, old, and something a simple as a fall could easily be the end of her within days. Wikipedia says that she was "in good health" on her 98th birthday, although seeing as how that fact is uncited, the exact opposite is likely true. If I say "don't put her on," she could fall down the stairs on January 2 and I'd look like an idiot.

'Falling down the stairs was my line for that clown 'Michael Foot'

You are 'so copying me' Paul. Anyway 'Getting serious' you are right about the 'risks of leaving off' it's absolutely devastating. I mean ' LSD's father Dr.Albert Hofmann' and 'Modern Architect' Oscar Niemeyer are both a 'must have'

I have a few Economists and Authors in mind for my DDP along with a few surprises which should make some noise. Next year will no doubt be my most competitive list ever.

I would rather put a bullet in my brain than copy you Banshees Scream, and if it ever gets to the point where I'm like you, I will.

No real news but she is now 99 & her mind appears to be still working....

Again, make of what the above snippet you will... Personally, for the low point values she's worth, she's not worth the punt I don't think.

With the honourable exception that a well-placed Dolores could be an orgasmic unique pick on the HPDP, where the order in which they fall is everything.

Dolores Hope, the widow of the legendary comedian Bob Hope, has been hospitalized after suffering from a stroke. A security person at her home is not confirming this until buisness hours tommorrow. (What a scum bag) However, even without the details, we must remember that she is 99 years old.

I hope it doesn't turn out that I wake up to see her obituary. Poor Dolores.

Dolores Hope is 100 tomorrow. Is this the first time both halves of a famous married couple have reached that age?

Funny you should bring that up today:

Couple celebrate 81st anniversary.

As it says, he's 101, she's 101 next month. Not as famous as Bob and Dolores (other than for the fact that they've got to where they are!), but Dolores has had to reach the milestone without Bob. I expect you saw the article, and that's why you threw in the "famous" bit!

Aye, we've got to define 'famous' couple here. If one half is famous for being famous by virtue of being married to the talented one, does that count?

Either way, I can't recall a famous couple like that both topping the ton.

Dead?

Someone just posted this on a Yahoo Group, but I can't find any other reports of this at all on the the www.

Dolores Hope, Widow of Bob Hope, dies at 101.

Dolores Hope, an accomplished singer and entertainer and widow of actor Bob Hope, died Friday morning at her home in Toluca Lake. She had celebrated her 101st birthday last month.

Born as Dolores DeFina in New York City, Hope began her professional singing career under the name Dolores Reade. In 1933, after appearing at the Vogue Club, a Manhattan nightclub, Reade was introduced to Bob Hope. The couple were married in 1934 and later adopted four children.

In the 1940s, Hope began helping Bob on his tours entertaining U.S. troops overseas and continued to do so for over 50 years. In 1990, she was the only female entertainer allowed to perform in Saudi Arabia. At 83 she recorded her first CD, Dolores Hope: Now and Then.

She is survived by her three children. A son, Tony, died in 2004.

Melanie Whitley contributed to this report.

Three hours later and Wikipedia still thinks she's alive.

Three hours later and Wikipedia still thinks she's alive.

There's Hope for us all yet then! :evil2:

Guest justlooking
Dead, at the age of 102.

as a matter of interest was she ever on your list thingy? :champagne: