Jump to content
Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

Recommended Posts

Well, that's a blow.

 

A name constantly in the credits from my youth. Also, I had many many Target novelisations by him. A fount of Whoness. RIP.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of those deaths that genuinely sadden me and which I've been dreading. .I have spent countless hours listening to Terrance Dicks doing commentaries or documentaries for the classic episodes of Doctor Who ,almost to the point where I thought of him as a sort of friend even though I never met him ! Always reminded me of reading those Dr Who novels as a boy.

  I feared the worst when he didn't take part in the 'behind the Sofa' commentaries on the recent season 10 blu ray release. I knew he wouldn't miss that unless he was ill or something. He will certainly be sadly missed by me on those commentaries if nothing else, even if he did repeat the same anecdotes about Pertwees hair or whatever time and time again !   R.I.P and thanks for all the pleasure your writing gave us Who fans ! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right been floored by a chest infection this week, but, yes, Terrance Dicks is, for me, the saddest loss of 2019 on a personal level. He (and RL Stine) was one of the biggest inspirations for me to get into books as a small child. He spent 50 years being asked the exact same questions by kids (and adults who took kids TV too seriously!) and never once talked down to them, or acted like a star. He was also a top class editor in his own right, which is why he was in demand for Play of the Day and the Dickens adaptations as script editor until retirement, and why he was writing and editing kids books (hundreds of them, The Baker Street Irregulars were good fun iirc) till he was in his 70s.

 

He was also highly unassuming about his own talents. Once asked to produce 100 minutes of TV script in 3 days to replace something that fell through, he wrote a highly engaging ripping yarn about murders in a lighthouse which holds up far better than the stuff which had months of planning. His reputation for fixing problems actually produced his fast tracked career in the 1960s, as whenever scripts went down on Crossroads or The Avengers (or both at the same time) and then later stuff at the Beeb, the call would be "Terrance'll fix it!" and then he did. And then would say anyone could have done it! In his role of getting TV on the TV, he was the best, and he's the reason Dr Who is still going on.

 

There's also his invaluable advice to writers: "If in doubt, bung in more characters. Then... you can bump them off!"

 

So yeah 2 quick anecdotes.

 

One night, Terrance was working late on scripts for Dr Who's big finale that season, The Daemons. (It's basically a Hammer Horror spoof.) One set piece involved the destruction of a demonic gargoyle, and the Brigadier's quote "Chap with wings - five rounds rapid!" Naturally, Terry went to axe that line from the script, and popped into a meeting with Producer Barry Letts and the BBC head honchos. Now, Barry Letts had actually written The Daemons but under union rules of the 1970s, couldn't have his own name on it or admit to writing it, so it went under a pseudonym. Dicks goes through his cuts to the episode and adds the "lousy line 'chap with wings". Barry Letts face fell and he apparently said "Oh I really enjoyed writing tha... reading that line when I first saw the script." :D The line got kept.

 

Years later, when he was leaving Doctor Who, he had a quick meeting with his successors, and ended on the line: "And of course, I'll be happy to carry on with the precedent of the last showrunner writing the first new story, unless you guys have someone else in mind." The new pair were delighted and quickly lined up a contract for 4 episodes.

 

"And that", said Terrance Dicks with a huge smile a few decades later, "Is how I got myself more work, with a precedent I had just invented!" :lol:

 

He was a talent and character and he'll be much missed. RIP.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, msc said:

Right been floored by a chest infection this week, but, yes, Terrance Dicks is, for me, the saddest loss of 2019 on a personal level. He (and RL Stine) was one of the biggest inspirations for me to get into books as a small child. He spent 50 years being asked the exact same questions by kids (and adults who took kids TV too seriously!) and never once talked down to them, or acted like a star. He was also a top class editor in his own right, which is why he was in demand for Play of the Day and the Dickens adaptations as script editor until retirement, and why he was writing and editing kids books (hundreds of them, The Baker Street Irregulars were good fun iirc) till he was in his 70s.

 

He was also highly unassuming about his own talents. Once asked to produce 100 minutes of TV script in 3 days to replace something that fell through, he wrote a highly engaging ripping yarn about murders in a lighthouse which holds up far better than the stuff which had months of planning. His reputation for fixing problems actually produced his fast tracked career in the 1960s, as whenever scripts went down on Crossroads or The Avengers (or both at the same time) and then later stuff at the Beeb, the call would be "Terrance'll fix it!" and then he did. And then would say anyone could have done it! In his role of getting TV on the TV, he was the best, and he's the reason Dr Who is still going on.

 

There's also his invaluable advice to writers: "If in doubt, bung in more characters. Then... you can bump them off!"

 

So yeah 2 quick anecdotes.

 

One night, Terrance was working late on scripts for Dr Who's big finale that season, The Daemons. (It's basically a Hammer Horror spoof.) One set piece involved the destruction of a demonic gargoyle, and the Brigadier's quote "Chap with wings - five rounds rapid!" Naturally, Terry went to axe that line from the script, and popped into a meeting with Producer Barry Letts and the BBC head honchos. Now, Barry Letts had actually written The Daemons but under union rules of the 1970s, couldn't have his own name on it or admit to writing it, so it went under a pseudonym. Dicks goes through his cuts to the episode and adds the "lousy line 'chap with wings". Barry Letts face fell and he apparently said "Oh I really enjoyed writing tha... reading that line when I first saw the script." :D The line got kept.

 

Years later, when he was leaving Doctor Who, he had a quick meeting with his successors, and ended on the line: "And of course, I'll be happy to carry on with the precedent of the last showrunner writing the first new story, unless you guys have someone else in mind." The new pair were delighted and quickly lined up a contract for 4 episodes.

 

"And that", said Terrance Dicks with a huge smile a few decades later, "Is how I got myself more work, with a precedent I had just invented!" :lol:

 

He was a talent and character and he'll be much missed. RIP.

 This is right. Terrance is the writer who I have read most books by. This had the same impact for me as Terry Pratchett's death and this year ties with Paul Darrow for personal impact from a celebrity. His talent is simplicity and he books are so light and effortless to read he deserves to be mentioned alongside Isaac Asimov, John Wyndham, Enid Blyton and Jane Austen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flagging this one up, simply because I don't know.

 

There's a death notice for a Doreen James (92): http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/236121/james

 

I have no idea how old the costume designer Doreen James was, who worked on significant Who stories, as well as many other TV shows. Toby doesn't seem to have mentioned it. Could it be the same person?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max Arthur was a historian but also a sometime actor and having checked, I can find no mention of him on the Forum, despite his Times Obituary: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/max-arthur-obituary-0w5grr2zz

 

Made a single appearance in Grange Hill, but for here he played Zuko in Planet of Fire for Doctor Who.

 

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0037804/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I dont expect much of you to be interested in a student remake of a lost Dr Who episode, but this video 4 mins in (should open at that time) has a recent interview with the great British TV actor Edward de Souza, who is now 87.

 

Flipping terrified the shit out of me as a kid in Sapphire and Steel, he did. Great actor. Good to see he's still going.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, msc said:

OK, I dont expect much of you to be interested in a student remake of a lost Dr Who episode, but this video 4 mins in (should open at that time) has a recent interview with the great British TV actor Edward de Souza, who is now 87.

 

Flipping terrified the shit out of me as a kid in Sapphire and Steel, he did. Great actor. Good to see he's still going.

 

 

 

I remember him from 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 04:27, CoffinLodger said:

Marvin the Robot from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy has died.Or at least the actor who did his voice, Stephen Moore,   has anyway https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/oct/13/stephen-moore-obituary

 

Fantasticly smooth, lustrous voice that he had. Did loads of tv too - from Hitchhikers to playing Kevin the Teenager's dad in Harry Enfield and Chums. One of those stalwart actors whose name you might not know straight away, but you recognise from years and years of work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Heef said:

 

Fantasticly smooth, lustrous voice that he had. Did loads of tv too - from Hitchhikers to playing Kevin the Teenager's dad in Harry Enfield and Chums. One of those stalwart actors whose name you might not know straight away, but you recognise from years and years of work.

He was great as Mr Jolly in Clockwise. An excellent foil for an increasingly demented John Cleese. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Cullen has reportedly died aged 75. One of the dwindling cast of The Aztecs, but in everything from When the Boat Comes In to Dalziel and Pascoe to Family flipping Affairs.

 

 

ian-cullen.jpg

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, msc said:

Ian Cullen has reportedly died aged 75. One of the dwindling cast of The Aztecs, but in everything from When the Boat Comes In to Dalziel and Pascoe to Family flipping Affairs.

 

 

ian-cullen.jpg

Saw this news earlier and thought he'd died earlier in the year. I was thinking of Douglas Fielding, his former Z Cars colleague.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/11/2019 at 00:46, time said:

Saw this news earlier and thought he'd died earlier in the year. I was thinking of Douglas Fielding, his former Z Cars colleague.

Tod

 

On 13/11/2019 at 18:12, msc said:

Ian Cullen has reportedly died aged 75. One of the dwindling cast of The Aztecs, but in everything from When the Boat Comes In to Dalziel and Pascoe to Family flipping Affairs.

 

 

ian-cullen.jpg

Sadly the news is true.It's reported by Toby Hadoke on his twitter account.https://mobile.twitter.com/TobyHadoke/status/1194697237470883840 If anyone knows anything about  classic Doctor Who actors it's Toby ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Birthday Chesterton, 95 today! :birthday::party:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A belated happy 80th birthday to Ian McCulloch who was 80 yesterday!  Played Greg Preston in the great series , Survivors in the 1970s as well as many TV and horror films.:birthday:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/11/2019 at 16:37, RolandDeschain said:

A belated happy 80th birthday to Ian McCulloch who was 80 yesterday!  Played Greg Preston in the great series , Survivors in the 1970s as well as many TV and horror films.:birthday:

It's funny you should mention him because when I heard that Ian Cullen had died I was thinking it was Ian McCulloch. I watched all 3 series of the original Survivors just recently for the first time and loved it,although of course it's a bit dated now.It's a tragedy they cancelled the remake after just 2 series !   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports on Twitter that Canadian actor Richard Easton, Captain Stapley in Time Flight for Doctor Who, has died. Rather better known as Brian Hammond in The Brothers for the older generation, or as the voice of Nigel in Grand Theft Auto V for the younger.

 

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0247733/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Reports on Twitter that Canadian actor Richard Easton, Captain Stapley in Time Flight for Doctor Who, has died. Rather better known as Brian Hammond in The Brothers for the older generation, or as the voice of Nigel in Grand Theft Auto V for the younger.

 

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0247733/

 

 

A DDP miss for me, he was on my "bung 'em on" team last year but not this!

 

 

Quote

Mel: [German voice:] Ja, I saw zee Gentleman.

Frasier: Stop! [to Mel:] That's wonderful, Mel. But he sounds to me just a bit more Austrian than German.

Mel: I've done that accent both on Broadway and the London stage!

Frasier: Yes, well perhaps they have different standards than I have.

 

Frasier: Please, we're doing it until I'm completely satisfied, and that reminds me, Mel - I'm still not entirely happy with the second McAllister sister! She doesn't sound spinsterish enough for me.

Mel: I see. You also told me that my gamekeeper sounded too cultured, that my Irishman sounded more Protestant than Catholic, and that my dwarf was too tall. Let me try Hans again, tell me how my German is sounding: "I Q-vit!" [exits]

 

And you forgot his finest hour - Actor Mel in the Frasier episode Ham Radio, one of the finest 20 minute pieces of US TV ever made:

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/05/2019 at 08:46, msc said:

 

[snip]

14.   1934 –Mary Peach,  Jeremy Young, Billy Cornelius, Ann Davies, Robert Aldous, Jean Marsh, Kenneth Ives, Arthur Cox, Gilbert Wynne, Vernon Dobtcheff, Christopher Benjamin, Tom Baker, Wendy Williams, Roy Macready, Slyvia Syms

[snip]

Wendy Williams 'in memoriam' in latest Equity magazine according to Toby Hadoke

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, time said:

Wendy Williams 'in memoriam' in latest Equity magazine according to Toby Hadoke

 

There was no time for jokes in the end days

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use