Sign in to follow this  
hellkat

Sorry Sorry Sorry For Blondeness

I really hate having to make my first post a really blonde one.

Been lurking here for a few months now, flicking through posts and seeing if I like you enough to actually register ...

... but I've still not been able to figure out what the MU (/u) symbol means in the Deathlist :party:

I'm sure you are all sick to the gills of telling every dense newbie, but I can't figure it out, and I can't even find a FAQs thingie.

I read (most of) the "instructional" sorta posts, but I still can't find any explanation of it.

:angry:

First of all, welcome! Second, what are you saying? I have no idea what your saying. Do people ever approach you in real life and say what? what? what? what?

I like your picture. Welcome to the site. Where is the MU that you speak of?

Strike a light, the first sniff of a woman and BS is in like a Rat up a Trouser leg.

Anyway, welcome Hellkat, Im too thick to understand what you are on about.

Regards

LFN

hellkat: There is always a time to learn. It's just myself along with others are perplexed by what you describe as 'FAQ's and 'MU' (/u) symbols. You can't find an explanation and we have no idea! You just can't win. If you could be more specific we could probably provide more intelligent answers for your questions.

edit:

removed

Okay ... I can see you are not of a scientific mindset.

On the deathlist itself, there is, like a little red symbol, its known in scientific circles as "mu" (I think its a greek symbol, and its used for millilitres, in medical science)

It seems to only be on the number-1 listings.

Obviously it has some relevance.

Let me see if I can cut and paste it.

"2 1µ Sydney Pollack 74 25 posts Actor"

That little red dude, next to the "1"

Don't worry about me bein' a bird and attracting all the flies like a 12 day corpse: I'm old and fat and a scary biker bird ( :party: ) :angry: ... I just put that pic of me boobs up there so you would pay attention. I'll change it back to me normal avatar soon.

Do people ever approach you in real life and say what? what? what? what?

Yeah, they do, as it goes.

Its a bugger being able to speak in words of more than one syllable.

Mostly its either because:

(1) I use big words; or

(2) I am stoned; or

(3) I am stoned and am rambling on using big words

Guest All-seeing I
Okay ... I can see you are not of a scientific mindset.

On the deathlist itself, there is, like a little red symbol, its known in scientific circles as "mu" (I think its a greek symbol, and its used for millilitres, in medical science)

It seems to only be on the number-1 listings.

Obviously it has some relevance.

Let me see if I can cut and paste it.

"2 1µ Sydney Pollack 74 25 posts Actor"

That little red dude, next to the "1"

Don't worry about me bein' a bird and attracting all the flies like a 12 day corpse: I'm old and fat and a scary biker bird ( :party: ) :angry: ... I just put that pic of me boobs up there so you would pay attention. I'll change it back to me normal avatar soon.

That symbol means that Mr Pollack (and Mr Widmark and Mrs Edwards etc) is a DL newbie like you. But for Mac users.

Oh, right, so like ... its the first time they've appeared on the list (and they jump to number 1 straight off the bat) ?

So that is a pic of your boobs? I thought it was a pic of the Alps.

Tell me, how long is it since you last saw your feet?

I just put that pic of me boobs up there so you would pay attention. I'll change it back to me normal avatar soon.

Please do no such thing....µµµµµ

Bugger, if I'd known tits get that much attention I would have changed my avatar ages ago.

Welcome hellkat. I'm also old and fat, so you're in good company. And I'd say you're far from blonde if you knew the little red thing was some Greek symbol - I just thought it was a random shape that whoever made the site wanted to put there - but then again, I am from Wiltshire. The only Greek symbol I recognise is the one on the kebab van outside Blockbuster Video.

btw...this string may eventually get moved to the "New and Saying Hi" string once the mods get wind of it. So if it disappears don't be surprised... :rolleyes:

I can agree with you on the 'I had no idea that was her boobs' segment.

I thought it looked like an impression of the second coming of Christ.

btw...this string may eventually get moved to the "New and Saying Hi" string once the mods get wind of it. So if it disappears don't be surprised... :rolleyes:

Oh I don't know, we could do with a blonde thread. I've been known to have my blonde moments, on and off this site.

Welcome, hellkat.

I don't think that will happen Miser, this mod won't be moving it anyway. Welcome hellkat, nice to have another girl onboard.

BS - FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions.

I just thought it was a random shape that whoever made the site wanted to put there - but then again, I am from Wiltshire.

Ditto. But I moved to there from Wales, so that makes me doubly thick.

I am completely confused because all I can see is a star, which means it's their first year on the Deathlist. I can't see any symbols, cymbals, greeks or geeks. I can only see a star? Am I going blind?

The only "mu" I ever heard of is the sound cows make. There's a lot of them in Wiltshire.

I also have no idea what a millilitre is.

I do hope this isn't one of those educational threads that makes us bumpkins even more bumpkiney (Checks OED, no such word, but can't be faffed to change it, so keeps it in), but I don't think it is. In fact, it's already one of the best all year.

Don't worry, you won't sound bumpkiny around me. I'm an expert at appearing to sound brainy online, but in fact am quite bimbo-ish at times.

Writingly, I am verbose.

Verbally (i.e., when talking not writing) I'm a nightmare.

Octopus, prolly you can see a star if you have a Mac, but I am still labouring along with one of the Microsoft Management Staff Pension Fund PC's, kindly cobbled together by a techy friend, in fact, I don't think their pension fund has benefitted from my use of this particular version of Windows, but let's not tell Mr Gates that.

And yes, thank you Sir Blowjob, I did see my feet only just yesterday, when the ghastly man at the airport made me take off my boots to go through security.

Note to self: when travelling by air, wear trainers like everybody else.

Fashion and over-anxious airport staff do not mix.

I'm looking forward to flitting through here from time to time, you all seem jolly ROBUST types with the correct ratios of warped sense of humour to enable me to fit in.

I like the look of your "rant calculations" or whatever it is :rolleyes:

greek2.gif

Octi I think you will be far happier to see the mu displayed thus, neatly listed in the correct order with all the other Greek letters.

Lovely to have you on board Ms Hellkat. I know your brother, Kit.

Incidentally I thought the avatar was Amy Winehouse's lost tooth. I wonder what Freud would have to say about that?

you all seem jolly ROBUST types with the correct ratios of warped sense of humour to enable me to fit in.

Aye, well, we robustly hound out those lacking a sense of humour!

you all seem jolly ROBUST types with the correct ratios of warped sense of humour to enable me to fit in.

Aye, well, we robustly hound out those lacking a sense of humour!

Let slip the slavering hellhounds onto the humourless hordes I say.

Either that or unlock the catflap and let the hellkat out to do its business.

The column with the "mu" isn't their rank - it's the number of times they have been on DL.

rank.jpg

The first column is this year's rank, the second is the rank last year (if there was one) and the third is the number of appearances on the list. I understand it's a star for some but I'm with you - I see the "mu."

It's nice to meet you. :rolleyes:

Ah, thank you CarolAnn ... that makes perfect sense now.

I couldn't see how they would get straight in to No. 1 with (pardon me) a bullet :rolleyes: LOL