chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

I would actually argue John McCain's death was a bigger event than either Bush's or Franklin's.  Both Aretha Franklin and John McCain had televised funerals the same day. John McCan's received far more attention and had more viewers from what I read.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

I would actually argue John McCain's death was a bigger event than either Bush's or Franklin's.  Both Aretha Franklin and John McCain had televised funerals the same day. John McCan's received far more attention and had more viewers from what I read.

I agree. All three are legends, but McCain had a current significant role in America.

• Like 1

I'm not an American, but McCain isn't as well known at all in comparison to people like Stephen Hawking or Aretha Franklin amongst the people I know. Some of the people I know are totally out of the loop, but Hawking is without a doubt more known than McCain outside of America. For Franklin, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Murdoc said:

I'm not an American, but McCain isn't as well known at all in comparison to people like Stephen Hawking or Aretha Franklin amongst the people I know. Some of the people I know are totally out of the loop, but Hawking is without a doubt more known than McCain outside of America. For Franklin, I'm not sure.

I agree cos he was in Treasure Island whereas the other one was only famous for his chips.

7 minutes ago, Murdoc said:

For Franklin, I'm not sure.

franklin was a legend. The queen of soul. One of the very last giant singers of the 50-60's. Of course all of this is subjective but for me, Hawking and her are the most significant of 2018. As you said, McCain is not "THAT" famous outside of US. I've never heard of him before deathlist and I remember that when he died, even friend in politic studies or older people whom I talked to just answer "who ?". I had to explain them and then they were like "oh yeah, him". It didn't happen when I spoke about Aretha's passing for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murdoc said:

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

franklin was a legend. The queen of soul. One of the very last giant singers of the 50-60's. Of course all of this is subjective but for me, Hawking and her are the most significant of 2018. As you said, McCain is not "THAT" famous outside of US. I've never heard of him before deathlist and I remember that when he died, even friend in politic studies or older people whom I talked to just answer "who ?". I had to explain them and then they were like "oh yeah, him". It didn't happen when I spoke about Aretha's passing for example.

Interesting; I didn't realize McCain wouldn't be known internationally.
They are all household names in America, and their deaths were all headlines. I specifically remember the minute McCain's death was announced because we received breaking news alerts on our phones. A week after his brain cancer diagnosis, he was the lone GOP vote to save our health insurance. Had he died sooner, we would have lost our health insurance. Aretha's songs are ofcourse legendary, but if she had died the year before or a year later, it wouldn't have impacted her song output. So I just feel that the specific timing of McCain's death had a direct impact on many Americans' mortality.

Edit: Misspoke about McCain being the lone GOP vote; Collins and Murkowski also contributed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lilham said:

I didn't realize McCain wouldn't be known internationally.

Oh he was well known here in the UK for his oven chips.

(edit, and just to press home the difference between here and there, that's fries to you, what you call chips we call crisps).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Oh he was well known here in the UK for his oven chips.

(edit, and just to press home the difference between here and there, that's fries to you, what you call chips we call crisps).

I lived in London briefly (Summer 2009 so I was there for Michael Jackson's death), but didn't know this snack brand! Our well-known one is Oreida (as potatoes are grown in Oregon/Idaho).

• Like 2

On 30/09/2017 at 12:26, Handrejka said:

Not quoting the whole thing but surprised you didn't have Isadora Duncan for 1927. The manner of her death was certainly shocking and her legacy as "The Mother of Dance" suggests she fulfils cultural impact  aspect too.

I do think Isadora Duncan death is one of the most tragic of the XXth century. Quite dramatic and camp, always loved the story. Just ran into this quick depiction which I though I should share even though it doesn't bring anything else to the debate

Isadora-Duncan-killed-in-freak-accident-illustration-recreation.jpg

• Like 1

^^^^  This thread has been completely hijacked.  

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7miigfvicvundl4np65

• Facepalm 2