Vaagheid

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

27 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

American philosopher Robert Merrihew Adams reported dead at 86 years in wiki

didnt found a reliable obit-source yet.

What about this obit ?

• Like 4

Italian singer Louiselle (wiki) reportedly dead at 77.

Sam Winningham (wiki), American college football player (during the 1940s!) turned coach, supposedly dead at 97.

Father of the more well known actress Mare Winningham (wiki), who has starred in just about everything.

Great name for a sportsman!

DO8uR7WV4AASW44.jpg-large.jpeg

Classical scholar David Konstan (wiki) reportedly dead at 83.

On 12/04/2024 at 19:31, Ulitzer95 said:

British perennial political candidate, WWII vet, blogger, and all round pain in the ass Norman Scarth (wiki) supposedly dead at 98.

Disappointed to see he wasn't picked in the DDP. Really curious to see if he gets a QO. My hunch is he will.

I'm starting to think he's not dead, is he?

5 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

I'm starting to think he's not dead, is he?

He's probably dead. Norman Scarth is not a big name at all. He was more or less only known in the UK for his political campaigns and legal cases but he hadn't been in the news for years. 

Tbf, I haven't contacted any papers about him. Maybe I should. He had an impressive WWII record so maybe the Telegraph would write him an obit, but probably a long shot.

American actress and model Dolores Rosedale/Roxanne (Wiki) reported dead at 96 on May 2. Cant find anything momentally or in IG and FB

image.png.92fc0cb4f52202970f9a85b9dd72f90e.png

• Like 1

B movie actress of the Golden Age Barbra Fuller (wiki) supposedly died this morning aged 102.

Edit to her page appears to have been made by her godson, J. P. Sloane (IMDb), who is nearly 82 himself and a former child actor.

She was also briefly married to Western movie legend Lash LaRue (wiki, 1917–1996).

A4nhBgNerVI5JZMmL31Uq1GhV7Z.jpg.05b0394934808c317422a1a3e995c857.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 14/05/2024 at 06:28, Gisooo said:

American actress and model Dolores Rosedale/Roxanne (Wiki) reported dead at 96 on May 2. Cant find anything momentally or in IG and FB

image.png.92fc0cb4f52202970f9a85b9dd72f90e.png

Hollywood Reporter obit for Roxanne.

British television presenter of children's programs Vera McKechnie (Wiki), allegedly died last year on July 27, 2023 in Marrakesh, Morocco at the age of 95-96.

I didn't find anything about it, could it be true?

image.thumb.png.29a2f9fe43bd855fa4c46cb9bd296bd9.png

• Confused 1

In 2017, when she turned 90, she was living in Eastbourne (and still in contact with the school she worked, under her married name, at after she left the BBC). Very odd for someone of that advanced years to relocate to Morocco.

image.thumb.png.003854841313f64cca7137aa384b6fac.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

In 2017, when she turned 90, she was living in Eastbourne (and still in contact with the school she worked, under her married name, at after she left the BBC). Very odd for someone of that advanced years to relocate to Morocco.

image.thumb.png.003854841313f64cca7137aa384b6fac.png

I find it puzzling too but I would refute that last point. The sun is kinder to folk in their advanced years so people often spend their final years in Spain, Florida etc. Could be true.

If she died on holiday she could still be in the GRO Index. @Master Obit, anything showing up?

On 02/05/2024 at 18:11, Ulitzer95 said:

Sam Winningham (wiki), American college football player (during the 1940s!) turned coach, supposedly dead at 97.

Father of the more well known actress Mare Winningham (wiki), who has starred in just about everything.

Great name for a sportsman!

DO8uR7WV4AASW44.jpg-large.jpeg

Obit for Winningham.

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I find it puzzling too but I would refute that last point. The sun is kinder to folk in their advanced years so people often spend their final years in Spain, Florida etc. Could be true.

If she died on holiday she could still be in the GRO Index. @Master Obit, anything showing up?

Overseas deaths are excluded from the regular GRO index. There is an index that is housed at the archives that lists overseas deaths of British nationals, but I think it only goes up to 2021. I'm actually having a meal with someone in the vicinity of the archives tomorrow so will arrive a bit earlier and pop in to check (since it might somewhat dampen the mood if my best suggestion after a good meal and wine was to go and look at some microfiche).

• Haha 1

Confirmed that it goes up to 2022 before having a rather lovely meal. 2023 will probably land in the latter half of the year, around the same time as Q4 of the regular index.

• Like 1

This was in an email from Findmypast yesterday. 

I don't have a current sub, so can't say if they really have deaths up to 2024.  Seems unlikely, unless it's one of those indexes compiled from newspaper obits etc.

image.png.5233373614331e6ca9e721b8fc810412.png

On 15/05/2024 at 17:36, Ulitzer95 said:

B movie actress of the Golden Age Barbra Fuller (wiki) supposedly died this morning aged 102.

Edit to her page appears to have been made by her godson, J. P. Sloane (IMDb), who is nearly 82 himself and a former child actor.

She was also briefly married to Western movie legend Lash LaRue (wiki, 1917–1996).

A4nhBgNerVI5JZMmL31Uq1GhV7Z.jpg.05b0394934808c317422a1a3e995c857.jpg

Hollywood Reporter obit for Barbra Fuller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Canadian educator Isabella Dryden (wiki) supposedly dead at 106.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

On 21/05/2024 at 08:45, Ulitzer95 said:

Canadian educator Isabella Dryden (wiki) supposedly dead at 106.

Obit for Isabella Dryden.

Points in various pools.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Obit for Isabella Dryden.

Points in various pools.

No points in any pool based on that Obit, I'd have thought. Not even the extremely lax Hare's pool will accept paid for/funeral home obits. 

I'd imagine its only a matter of time before something more solid shows up, but you'd never know. I've been surprised in the past few years how even local papers can ignore local celebrities when they die.