Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

... they've improved car safety though...

Um, he did die though, didn't he. I would say they've still a way to go then.

• Like 1

Aye, I was wonderin' if anyone would take the bait in the above post.

The serious point is that them good old seventies accidents combined track marshalling from the Keystone Cops with rigid fuel tanks that would rupture and explode to the point that the most useful response to an accident would be to run up with a long handled fork and a few slices of bread ready to toast.

I refer the house to posts earlier in this thread offering a link M.Lawresnson's site and footage of the final moments of Roger Williamson's needlessly wasted life.

The serious point is that them good old seventies accidents combined track marshalling from the Keystone Cops with rigid fuel tanks that would rupture and explode to the point that the most useful response to an accident would be to run up with a long handled fork and a few slices of bread ready to toast.

From the IRL's point of view, the Williamson death is irrelevant. The accident that changed US racing forever was The Sachs-McDonald Crash :D

Don't know how many of you guys saw the Australian GP this morning but noticed the interview with Sir Jack Brabham with interest. Just turning 80, he looked very old and jaded about his eyes. Don't know if he has been ill but he was showing his age and I guess that he won't last much beyond 85. Now that's not death list material without more solid info on any current or future illnesses.

In the same subject topic it was noted that Sir Frank Williams did not make the trip down under. Question being, was this due to new ill health worries or the fact that 20 years of being a quadraplegic is taking is toll and producing more limitations on his travel plans?

RA, first of all, AFAIK, both Brabham & Williams have no illnesses. Maybe just age taking its toll on both.

A little round-up for youse:

John Jordan, who ran a successful racing team (not F1), has died, as has the aptly named Dicky Dies, an ex-midget racer.

A very minor US sprint car racer was also killed at the weekend, but the biggest death is of 11 times Indianapolis 500 veteran, Bob Veith.

Bob Veith

veith.jpg:party:

Dicky Dies, an ex-midget racer.

:party: Did he grow up?

Guest Guest

Johnny Servoz Gavin, former Grand Prix racing driver died on the 28th May.

Just slippin' into my anorak:

Servoz Gavin was the first man to have scored a world championship point in a four wheel drive F1 car, a Matra. To date, it's the only point scored by such an F1 car.

Great shame about Johnny Servoz-Gavin.

12 GP's these days means nothing. To survive 12 back then meant a lot. Just looking at his debut race, of those who are no longer with us (2/3rds of the field), only J S-G & Hulme died of natural causes. The rest all killed.

Shame injury meant an early retirement, as he had some fair talent but I don't think Johnny cared. From what I understand, he thoroughly enjoyed life.

:)

11276.jpg

1942-2006

Literally, a stop press announcement this, Doug Serrurier, former GP racing driver & ex-constructor (LDS) died last night, aged 85. He had been ill for some time, and was on my DDP list, as a result. It will be interesting to see how much press coverage this death gets, as J S-G's got little. Nonetheless, to lose two GP drivers in a week is always sad, even if there hadn't been a death since July.

serrurie.gif

That's a sod, he finished a disappointing 11th last year after returning from F1 but was running 6th in this year's championship.

Guest Guest
Is the deer OK?

No, it's dead.

da Matta's brain injury comes from the carcass of the deer striking him at over 100mph.

Is the deer OK?

No, it's dead.

da Matta's brain injury comes from the carcass of the deer striking him at over 100mph.

The deer was moving at 100mph??? Christ ! What had they been feeding it ? da Matta was bloody unlucky to hit something moving at that speed. I thought even a Gazelle struggled to do more than 40mph.

The deer was moving at 100mph??? Christ ! What had they been feeding it ? da Matta was bloody unlucky to hit something moving at that speed. I thought even a Gazelle struggled to do more than 40mph.

This is actually quite funny from DDT. Better than the lame headline in an Aussie paper "Oh deer, what's da Matta", which I thought was a bit flippant considering the gravity of the situation.

Either way, he is still in a coma and it doesn't look good. He may well still live, but brain damage is a worry as well. I don't think we'll see him back in a racing car soon, if at all.

Also, recently, Guido Dacco, a vastly experienced Italian racing driver, who was in almost everything - CART, Indy 500, F2, F3000, Le Mans - except F1, died of cancer, aged 64, last week. :lol:

Octi do you have a source or a link for that headline?

What one? "oh deer, what's da matta", you mean?

Your wish is my command.

Look half-way down - The Australian - 3 Aug

Working at the Grand Prix Masters today (and tomorrow).

Don't bother putting any of the 16 racers down, they look pretty good, even Tambay. Our old friend de Cesaris has aged a little and has a "Harry Redknapp" twitch but he's not going to pop off. Dave Morgan looks 10 yrs younger than his 62 years.

But....

Sandro Nannini is now a major porky. Although it was to his advantage, as he walked through the paddock un-noticed by most!

I think he'll be alright for a while as he still leads a good life, and an active one but all that wine & cakes he eats...... <_<

I'll see if I can track any older drivers tomorrow, like Moss. Didn't see them around today but I think they're around.

Oh, Murray Walker? Picture of health. Don't even think about him for any Dead Pools.

Why is Prost still on that row of pics? Surely by not being in the first 3 races he's made his intentions clear as far as GP Masters goes. Shame to see Laffite disappear - at 63 he was the most likely driver to die of old age in a racing car.

Can't see where they could dig up more 'noteworthy' drivers for GP Masters. Of the last century's F1 title winners :

1998-99 - Mika Hakkinen (not quite old enough)

1997 - Jacques Villeneuve (still only 35, though his open wheel career has probably ended)

1996 - Damon Hill (too busy, too rich, and couldn't wait to retire in his last season anyway)

1994-95 - some German git who's name I forget

1986-96, 1989, 1993 - Prost, see above

1992 - Mansell

1988, 1990-91 - Ayrton Senna (I hear he has a good excuse)

1981, 1983, 1987 - Nelson Piquet (down on paper as saying GP Masters is stupid)

1975, 1977, 1984 - Niki Lauda (a medical basket case who wouldn't be let near GPM, even if he wanted to be)

1982 - Keke Rosberg (oddly silent, as far as I'm aware. After all, being too unfit hasn't stopped several others)

1980 - Alan Jones (actually, it did stop him)

1979 - Jody Schecker (happy enough to wave the chequered flag at Kylami, but busy with his organic farm)

1978 - Mario Andretti (probably would be up for it, but getting on a bit at 66)

Octi, is it raining at Silverstone? Is there oil on any part of the track? Is there - like - any hope at all?

Rained today. Very close to a nasty accident when Del Boy Warwick slammed into Arnoux, and also when de Crasheris rammed Lammers. Warwick also nearly slammed into Stuck.

But all walk away unscatched and without any long-term damage. (Apart from Andrea who, like I said, limps due to that nervous twitch in his leg)

Nannini also smokes...... Of all the drivers there, I just couldn't believe the change in his looks. Very nice guy though.

MPFC, Piquet Sr. still races. He won the Mille Mihila 1000km this winter. He just doesn't want to do GPM.

I think Mr. Lawrenson has hit the nail on the head with his summary.

FWIW, Jonesy can't do GPM - failed medical for it. He was there as commentator - looked okay. Scheckter was there too - he doesn't want to race in anything any more. He's quite happy going round & enjoying the scenery. Damon has too many commitments, unfortunaetly. He's got a major battle on his hand vs. Bernie to keep the GP at Silverstone, if at all, so bar a brief appearance next year, I doubt he'll do it.

How big a crowd do the old boys pull at Silverstone and is the series making money? The longer it goes on the better our chances that someone will do a Denny Hulme and suffer a heart attack in the car.

Today's attendance was very disappointing, especially considering there was no GP elsewhere today. 2007 is already definite. After that, we'll see.

I don't think we will see a Hulme, unless one of them crashes badly. They've got the same medical guy, Steve Olvey as IRL has & if he says no go, then that's it. Hence no more Jones & Laffite in this.

Also, as it expands, the guys will get younger. Moreno, Boesel & Guerrero are likely to be in next year, and

none of them are all that old or in bad condition.

Just FYI, Cristiano da Matta is continuing to improve & is now out of ICU. How long or what steps his recovery are going to take are still uncertain, but he's not in any danger of losing his life, let's put it like that.

OoO, re your recent post about the recovered and racing Nannini, what shape is his once severed arm in these days?

Nannini isn't racing any more. He might test one of the GPM cars for fun, but he isn't racing.

He won't fit in the cockpit for one, and his diet of ciggies, wine and cake will also not help his chances.

As to his arm, it wasn't completey severed. He can still use it, but obviously not to drive. He shook hands with me with his left hand (his right being the one severed), but signed autographs with his right one. I guess the best way I can compare it is with Jeremy Beadle - he can use his withered hand, but not to the fullest extent.

and it is still his hand, by the way, no Luke Skywalker jobby there. Had that accident been 10 years later, maybe it would've been, a la Zanardi & his legs.

Don't forget Nannini had a long (and successful) career in touring & sportscars after that accident. As long as he had a custom gearbox, he was fine.

• Like 1