Sign in to follow this  
Anubis the Jackal

Christopher Hitchens

I've had two down already - Hitchens and Socrates....

I've had two down already - Hitchens and Socrates....

Hitchens makes it three for me. Saville and McManus were the other two

Hitchens, Socrates, McManus, Gould... if Robin Gibb keels over at the Christmas table then this is going to be the widest-open DDP in history.

Not a fan of the fellow prior to today, when as my joker, he actually makes my DDP score half-respectable. He also makes it easier to choose my DDP 20 for next year. Well done that man.

Perhaps the event of Hitchens' death (the latest in a slew of missed deaths for 2011 - a point which has been frustrating us for most of the year) will make the DL committee readdress their selection process. This includes people who have abused themselves in such a way they have dire health ramifications in the future. As it currently stands it seems the likes of Etta James (surviving 2011 pending) still won't make next years list.

It is interesting that the British Prime Minister makes a speech about "embracing Christianity" to deal with Britain's "moral collapse" on the same day Hitchens died.

He's probably spinning already - even before they put him in the grave.

Martin-Rowson-cartoon-004.jpg

Saint Peter: Next!

Man [defiant]: Christopher Hitchens.

St Peter [a half-beat late]: Personal account?

Hitchens: Do you know who I am? Of course you do, it's one of the drawbacks of omniscience. And this place… It's obvious where this is. I haven't seen taste this bad on such a scale since I last liberated one of Saddam's palaces. No, no, let me finish. I suppose I should have known you'd turn out to be one of those drivelling relativists who thought that war was a bad idea. But answer this: has even one of the hundreds of thousands of people who've passed through your gate since I was so thunderingly right about Iraq blamed me at all? They probably just snivelled about Satan. The pathetic prisoners of religion.

Saint Peter: So you still don't think you might have been wrong about God?

Hitchens: Oh, don't think you can catch me with that old chestnut. Just shows how religion poisons everything. Let me tell you: death is certain, replacing both the siren song of paradise and the dread of hell.

Saint Peter: So you aren't in the least bit surprised to find yourself here…

Hitchens: Here? [repeats with rising, scornful incredulity] Here? This…continent of spacious heaven, adorned with plant, fruit, flower ambrosial, gems and gold… This kind of divine North Korea? Come off it. Where are the ashtrays? I'm off somewhere I can get a drink. [exits]