BCAlum2000

Is 2010 On Track To Be The Slowest Year For Celebrity Deaths?

Hi y'all, everybody's favorite BCAlum2000 is back w/ a vengeance after a long hiatus...

Trying to start a debate here, and hopefully people won't be slinging too much shit towards me about this topic.

The issue is whether 2010 is on track to be the slowest year for celebrity deaths.

I would say yes. The last time we had a really slow year for celebrity deaths was back in 2000.

Now 2010 is turning out to be a pretty good year if you think about it. The economy is recovering, more people are getting jobs, the BP oil spill may not be an environmental disaster anymore and I'd go so far as to say that BP's reputation may go up b/c others will see that BP "handled" the crisis well, and not too many celebrities are dying.

Maybe I will jinx it after all and there may be a "fall blitz" of sorts w/ celebrities dying en masse w/n the next few months, but it seems like if we keep this pace up, 2010 may turn out to be a good year for celebrities NOT dying.

Do you agree w/ me? Or maybe we are spoiled b/c of the past couple of years (2008 and 2009) we've seen a deluge of celebrity deaths? (Don't forget about everybody was commenting that 2009 was the "summer of death" b/c of so many celebrities dying last summer?)

2009 had Jacko, 2010 has Gilly. I'd say the level of fame is still the same.

2009 had Jacko, 2010 has Gilly. I'd say the level of fame is still the same.

LOL I have no effin clue who this "Gilly" fella is, so I'd say...no.

BUT...if Lindsay Lohan died this year, then I guess you could make that argument.

Anyway, I think a big reason why things are so slow is that the three "big" celebrities I expected to die this year (Bret Michaels, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and Lindsay Lohan) are still alive.

Can't stand Zsa Zsa Gabor and Lindsay Lohan in particular and kinda hoping they kick the bucket. (I know, sounds mean, but Zsa Zsa is 93 years old and is in financial straits so death may not be such a bad thing for her. Plus Lohan is already washed up and while her few remaining fans are rooting for her to pull a Robert Downey Jr.-style comeback, she's burned her bridges in Hollywood.)

Urrr.. Lets see now Celebs that have died this year(Big names marked in Bold):

Teddy Pendergrass

Jean Simmons

J.D. Salinger

Zelda Rubenstein

Michael Foot

Corey Haim

Merlin Olsen

Peter Graves

Fess Parker

Robert Culp

June Havok

John Forsythe

Corin Redgrave

Lech Kaczyński

Dixie Carter

Lynn Redgrave

Lena Horne

Ronnie James Dio

Bobbejaan Schoepen

Art Linkletter

Gary Coleman

Dennis Hopper

Giuseppe Taddei

Rue McClanahan

John Wooden

Jimmy Dean

Ronald Neame

Manute Bol

Robert Bryd

Don Coryell

Abu Daoud

Cesare Siepi

Buff Cobb

Ralph Houk

George Steinbrenner

Eduardo Sánchez Junco (Founder of Hello Magazine)

Harvey Pekar

James Gammon

Harry Beckett

Daniel Schorr

Alex Higgins

Mitch Millar

Robert F. Boyle

Bobby Hebb

Currently I think the Top 10 are in reverse order:

10.J.D. Salinger

9.Ronald Neame

8.Jean Simmons

7.George Steinbrenner

6.Michael Foot

5.Corey Haim

4.Alex Higgins

3.Lena Horne

2.Gary Coleman

1.Dennis Hopper

I think the Following Celebs Wont make it to Christmas:

Jerry Lewis

Amy Winehouse

Betty Ford

Bob Barker

Dick Clark

Dino DeLaurentis

Zza Zza Gabor

Mel Gibson

Phillis Diller

John Goodman

Eminem

Sarah Jessica Parker

Etta James

Jane Russel

Jean Kennady Smith

Robin Williams

Maddona

Muhamed Ali

Michael J. Fox

Prince Harry

But these are Completly guesing

Teddy Pendergrass

Jean Simmons

J.D. Salinger

Zelda Rubenstein

Michael Foot

Corey Haim

Merlin Olsen

Peter Graves

Fess Parker

Robert Culp

June Havok

John Forsythe

Corin Redgrave

Lech Kaczyński

Dixie Carter

Lynn Redgrave

Lena Horne

Ronnie James Dio

Bobbejaan Schoepen

Art Linkletter

Gary Coleman

Dennis Hopper

Giuseppe Taddei

Rue McClanahan

John Wooden

Jimmy Dean

Ronald Neame

Manute Bol

Robert Bryd

Don Coryell

Abu Daoud

Cesare Siepi

Buff Cobb

Ralph Houk

George Steinbrenner

Harvey Pekar

James Gammon

Harry Beckett

Daniel Schorr

Alex Higgins

Mitch Millar

Robert F. Boyle

Bobby Hebb

10.J.D. Salinger

9.Ronald Neame

8.Jean Simmons

7.George Steinbrenner

6.Michael Foot

5.Corey Haim

4.Alex Higgins

3.Lena Horne

2.Gary Coleman

1.Dennis Hopper

Jerry Lewis

Amy Winehouse

Betty Ford

Bob Barker

Dick Clark

Dino DeLaurentis

Zza Zza Gabor

Mel Gibson

Phillis Diller

John Goodman

Eminem

Sarah Jessica Parker

Etta James

Jane Russel

Jean Kennady Smith

Robin Williams

Maddona

Muhamed Ali

Michael J. Fox

Prince Harry

Heh. Of the celebrity death prediction list, the only one I'm certain who won't make it is Zsa Zsa Gabor. Despite all the media attention she's receiving right now, I think she's barely clinging on to life. She's not gonna make it. She's 93 years old and in poor health for Christsake! I've heard rumblings about Dick Clark possibly not making it this year also, but I dunno. I actually do have Dick Cheney's name on my 2011 list...

There may be a "shocking" celebrity death or two this year. After all, last year, nobody expected Natasha Richardson, Brittany Murphy, and Stephen Gately to die suddenly last year. ("Some" people kinda predicted that Michael Jackson and DJ AM would die.)

I think in terms of "shocking" celebrity death, I dunno. We already had two this year (Corey Haim and Gary Coleman). Some have speculated that maybe Mel Gibson will die this year b/c of the crap he's enduring. I don't think so. But you never know. I still think Lindsay Lohan is the possible "shocking" celebrity death we've been waiting for. Of course, Amy Winehouse is not out of the woods yet either.

I still think Lindsay Lohan is the possible "shocking" celebrity death we've been waiting for.

*You've* been waiting for.

I can't think other than having this thread re-named "Deathlisting by Numbers" with the underscore quote being "THE place to return to, for 888-333's & BCAlum2000's best bits"

Hi y'all, everybody's favorite BCAlum2000 is back w/ a vengeance after a long hiatus...

Trying to start a debate here, and hopefully people won't be slinging too much shit towards me about this topic.

The issue is whether 2010 is on track to be the slowest year for celebrity deaths.

I would say yes. The last time we had a really slow year for celebrity deaths was back in 2000.

Now 2010 is turning out to be a pretty good year if you think about it. The economy is recovering, more people are getting jobs, the BP oil spill may not be an environmental disaster anymore and I'd go so far as to say that BP's reputation may go up b/c others will see that BP "handled" the crisis well, and not too many celebrities are dying.

Maybe I will jinx it after all and there may be a "fall blitz" of sorts w/ celebrities dying en masse w/n the next few months, but it seems like if we keep this pace up, 2010 may turn out to be a good year for celebrities NOT dying.

Do you agree w/ me? Or maybe we are spoiled b/c of the past couple of years (2008 and 2009) we've seen a deluge of celebrity deaths? (Don't forget about everybody was commenting that 2009 was the "summer of death" b/c of so many celebrities dying last summer?)

I d/ agree w/ u/. B/c 2010 - celeb/ death-wise - is going as slow as sh*t through a funnel. But it's not even september yet, so plenty of time to set things straight.

Guest akku
I still think Lindsay Lohan is the possible "shocking" celebrity death we've been waiting for.

*You've* been waiting for.

I think I'm going fishin' tomorrow. You know, maybe catch some hypocrite :banghead:

Teddy Pendergrass

Jean Simmons

J.D. Salinger

Zelda Rubenstein

Michael Foot

Corey Haim

Merlin Olsen

Peter Graves

Fess Parker

Robert Culp

June Havok

John Forsythe

Corin Redgrave

Lech Kaczyński

Dixie Carter

Lynn Redgrave

Lena Horne

Ronnie James Dio

Bobbejaan Schoepen

Art Linkletter

Gary Coleman

Dennis Hopper

Giuseppe Taddei

Rue McClanahan

John Wooden

Jimmy Dean

Ronald Neame

Manute Bol

Robert Bryd

Don Coryell

Abu Daoud

Cesare Siepi

Buff Cobb

Ralph Houk

George Steinbrenner

Harvey Pekar

James Gammon

Harry Beckett

Daniel Schorr

Alex Higgins

Mitch Millar

Robert F. Boyle

Bobby Hebb

10.J.D. Salinger

9.Ronald Neame

8.Jean Simmons

7.George Steinbrenner

6.Michael Foot

5.Corey Haim

4.Alex Higgins

3.Lena Horne

2.Gary Coleman

1.Dennis Hopper

Jerry Lewis

Amy Winehouse

Betty Ford

Bob Barker

Dick Clark

Dino DeLaurentis

Zza Zza Gabor

Mel Gibson

Phillis Diller

John Goodman

Eminem

Sarah Jessica Parker

Etta James

Jane Russel

Jean Kennady Smith

Robin Williams

Maddona

Muhamed Ali

Michael J. Fox

Prince Harry

What about Harry Carpenter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Carpenter

It's not a slow year for the Dutch. :)

Well, maybe not your lot but it's a very slow year for those on my NLDP team!

Well, last year did yield a bumper crop of souls! I suppose this lull in big name dispatches was only to be expected.I wonder if we'll have any major shocks in the premature, unexpected stakes before the year is out?

Well, last year did yield a bumper crop of souls! I suppose this lull in big name dispatches was only to be expected.I wonder if we'll have any major shocks in the premature, unexpected stakes before the year is out?

I feel this thread is useless. It seems like year people are complaining that it is a slow year (oftenly even naming it the slowest year yet) but when the year ends it seems not as bad as everyone made it out to be.

I feel this thread is useless. It seems like year people are complaining that it is a slow year (oftenly even naming it the slowest year yet) but when the year ends it seems not as bad as everyone made it out to be.

I agree that people will complain, no matter what, but it is a remarkably slow year, the slowest since 1991, in fact... By august 19th, the previous deathlists had the following number of hits (the year's total in brackets):

2009: 7 (12)

2008: 11 (14)

2007: 9 (10)

2006: 7 (13)

2005: 8 (12)

2004: 8 (12)

2003: 9 (14)

2002: 8 (10)

2001: 8 (10)

2000: 9 (10)

1999: 8 (10)

1998: 6 (8)

1997: 4 (9)

1996: 7 (7)

1995: 5 (9)

1994: 7 (9)

1993: 4 (5, out of 56 picks)

1992: 4 (5, out of 37 picks)

1991: 0 (0, out of 40 picks)

1990: 3 (3, out of 43 picks)

1989: 2 (3, out of 32 picks)

1988: ? (?)

1987: 1 (1, out of 31 picks)

In 'modern times', that is: after the introduction of the 50-picks-limit in 1994, we had an average of 7,5 hits by this time of year, out of an annual average of 10,5.

I'd say that we would be exceptionally lucky to reach double figures this year, let alone to break the record.

I agree that people will complain, no matter what, but it is a remarkably slow year, the slowest since 1991, in fact... By august 19th, the previous deathlists had the following number of hits (the year's total in brackets):

2009: 7 (12)

2008: 11 (14)

2007: 9 (10)

2006: 7 (13)

2005: 8 (12)

2004: 8 (12)

2003: 9 (14)

2002: 8 (10)

2001: 8 (10)

2000: 9 (10)

1999: 8 (10)

1998: 6 (8)

1997: 4 (9)

1996: 7 (7)

1995: 5 (9)

1994: 7 (9)

1993: 4 (5, out of 56 picks)

1992: 4 (5, out of 37 picks)

1991: 0 (0, out of 40 picks)

1990: 3 (3, out of 43 picks)

1989: 2 (3, out of 32 picks)

1988: ? (?)

1987: 1 (1, out of 31 picks)

In 'modern times', that is: after the introduction of the 50-picks-limit in 1994, we had an average of 7,5 hits by this time of year, out of an annual average of 10,5.

I'd say that we would be exceptionally lucky to reach double figures this year, let alone to break the record.

So i wonder can you really put the blame on how slow the year is or is the 2010-list just not very well constructed?

I put the blame on the fact that those people who were put on the list have not died this year.

I put the blame on the fact that those people who were put on the list have not died this year.

Hear hear!

The nerve of some people these days to continue living.

So i wonder can you really put the blame on how slow the year is or is the 2010-list just not very well constructed?

Deathpooling is not a science. :) No-one is to blame for picking the wrong (i.e.: non-dying) celebs, we've just been unlucky on several occasions.

Of course: you could argue it's about being well-informed too, but there's no way anyone of us could have known that al-Megrahi's or Biggs' health issues had been exaggerated - which was clearly the case.

I suspected a deathpool-hating conspiracy too, but this year's fine NDP-performance seems to contradict that. :closedeyes:

Well Since the Start of this Topic Patricia Neal, Ted Steavans, Lance Cade, Issac Bonewits, Carlos Hugo & Edwin Morgan have all died