Phantom

Your Least Impressive Celebrity Encounters

Of course, according to the Wiki DL page, there are a number of 'stars from the world of showbusiness' right here amongst us!

And if it's on Wikipedia, it must be true...

I met Lemmy, Phil Taylor and Eddie Clarke (AKA Motorhead...the best line up) many years ago in Listen records, Noddy Holder in a book shop, the Singer from Enough's Enough in a pub, ..ohh and Leonard Nimmoy (Spock)

That reminds me, another hotel one... Sir John Harvey Jones. Didn't leave a tip, despite spending a fortune on cocktails. He had a gaggle of his "nieces" with him, all in their early 20s, pretty, leggy and oh-so-giggly on the vintage Krug he was splashing about. I remember being jealous at the time but, let's face it, they were all just praying for some money to fall out of his fat wallet. I seriously hope he didn't get to bed any of them, even if it was for cash. Sorry, my mistake, they were his nieces. Yes. Definitely not prostitutes. Nieces. Nieces.

Although I did not meet the man, I was at a dinner for the launch of the BMW 850 series some years ago where Sir John was giving a speech. Sir John got plastered during the dinner and then gave an amusing speech littered with anecdotes about his wartime experiences, much to the discomfiture of the German hosts.

The dinner was excellent, there was more wine and brandies than you could shake a stick at, and a good time was had by all. The booze was free all night and all accommodation was paid for. No wonder the car was so damn expensive.

being a young lad at the time, I told him "Hey! You cut!"

Tsk. Spelling error, no doubt.

I ran in an U15's 110 metre hurdles race against Colin Jackson. Strangely, I didn't win. :angry:

That reminds me, another hotel one... Sir John Harvey Jones. Didn't leave a tip, despite spending a fortune on cocktails. He had a gaggle of his "nieces" with him, all in their early 20s, pretty, leggy and oh-so-giggly on the vintage Krug he was splashing about. I remember being jealous at the time but, let's face it, they were all just praying for some money to fall out of his fat wallet. I seriously hope he didn't get to bed any of them, even if it was for cash. Sorry, my mistake, they were his nieces. Yes. Definitely not prostitutes. Nieces. Nieces.

Although I did not meet the man, I was at a dinner for the launch of the BMW 850 series some years ago where Sir John was giving a speech. Sir John got plastered during the dinner and then gave an amusing speech littered with anecdotes about his wartime experiences, much to the discomfiture of the German hosts.

The dinner was excellent, there was more wine and brandies than you could shake a stick at, and a good time was had by all. The booze was free all night and all accommodation was paid for. No wonder the car was so damn expensive.

I, I, er.. well I never!

Corwumph!

Bloody Nora!

I once met Terry Pratchett.

Let me guess, that was at a book signing.

regards,

Hein

I sat opposite to the former hostage Terry Waite on a train once. He was discussing the partition of the former Yugoslavia with a Russian Orthodox priest.

Their debate got quite heated at one point, I thought I might have to step in.

When the train stopped for over an hour outside Crewe, I taught them both the rules to that classic card game "Shithead". It was one of the more surreal experiences in my life.

I sat opposite to the former hostage Terry Waite on a train once. He was discussing the partition of the former Yugoslavia with a Russian Orthodox priest.

Their debate got quite heated at one point, I thought I might have to step in.

When the train stopped for over an hour outside Crewe, I taught them both the rules to that classic card game "Shithead". It was one of the more surreal experiences in my life.

I once knew a girl who met Terry Waite at the Canterbury Cricket Festival.

Problem was, she thought he was Treguard from ITV's Knightmare and started asking him about the horned-helmet, etc.

He was too much of a gentleman to point out who he really was.

Classy guy.

I met Terry Waite at Waterloo station a few years ago, he was helping out for a campaign for asthma awareness

My other half was in a long-running ITV drama series, her best mate is an Oscar-nominated actress and I played on a UK top-10 album.

Clunk,clunk,clunk!

oh I've sung backing vocals on the b-side of a single that got to number 9 in the charts a few years ago

In addition to my entries as Nuclear Nick...

I blagged a pint off Ian Lavender in the Chestfield Barn when it was re-launched as a Shepherd Neame pub.

And I know of some guys who were wiring up cutting-edge electronics in Ringo Starr's place.

When they finished, he gave them his latest CD. They asked him to sign it and he replied, in his best Thomas the Tank voice, "F**k off, I'm not letting you make money out of me on e-bay."

And I know of some guys who were wiring up cutting-edge electronics in Ringo Starr's place.

When they finished, he gave them his latest CD. They asked him to sign it and he replied, in his best Thomas the Tank voice, "F**k off, I'm not letting you make money out of me on e-bay."

hmmm and I was told at one point that Ringo Starr is harmless.

Sheesh! I say let Mark Chapman out of prison and let's give him Ringo's address

I told my ex-roommate about this thread last night, and he told me over the weekend he met Ryan Stiles and one of his androgenous children.

regards,

Hein

Well yes it was, but it's not quite as simple as that, because my GF of the time worked in the shop so I did actually get to meet him.

And I was the first to get my book signed.

regards,

Hein

Well yes it was, but it's not quite as simple as that, because my GF of the time worked in the shop so I did actually get to meet him.

I've met Terry Pratchett too, it wasn't at a book signing but at a stage production of "Wyrd Sisters".

I see. I met Pterry as a regular customer at a book signing at Donner.

regards,

Hein

My sister's boyfriend was the guy who shouted "W**ker" at the Strangler's concert as heard on the "Live X Cert " album, which caused Hugh to stop playing. :blink:

Not exactly a claim to fame, but I was removed from a Roy 'Chubby' Brown gig for heckling! I was a little tired an emotional at the time, but I could shout "Fat C**t" louder than he could. The bouncers took exception to this and dragged me from the theatre and deposited me in a heap outside.

Next time it rains at Wimbledon & they show a replay of Boris Becker's first win in 1985, listen out for the last person to shout "come on Boris" at match point. That was me. :blink:

My sister's boyfriend was the guy who shouted "W**ker" at the Strangler's concert as heard on the "Live X Cert " album, which caused Hugh to stop playing. :blink:

Not exactly a claim to fame, but I was removed from a Roy 'Chubby' Brown gig for heckling! I was a little tired an emotional at the time, but I could shout "Fat C**t" louder than he could. The bouncers took exception to this and dragged me from the theatre and deposited me in a heap outside.

You weren't thrown out for heckling but for being funnier than the 'Fat C**t'...

I met Terry Waite at Waterloo station a few years ago, he was helping out for a campaign for asthma awareness

Terry meets Julie Waterloo Station every Friday night...