Sign in to follow this  
harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

BBC FOUR

I guess I can throw my BBC TV Centre pass in the bin. A few enjoyable times in the bar, never got lost in the supposedly unnavigable doughnut, a weird visit to a TOTP recording in my late 30s... and I don't think I ever saw a real celebrity worth the name. Not even Jimmy Savile.

Just seen this Harry. I too had a weird visit to TOTP in my late 30s. Don't tell me that you too were mates with the producer. It was a tiny set, smoke and mirrors, with camera booms flattening the kids brought in to dance.

I was actually the guest of a bunch of late-30-somethings performing

. Which made it all the weirder.

Blimey, that was a bit risque...

Im currently watching ( yet again ) I Claudius on the channel.

I dont mind it at all, not one bit, if they use it to show brilliant dramas/comedies etc.

Mind you, they could put em on Beeb 2...

I, Claudius....?

More like "I, don't even know where to start raving about that awesome piece of TV". George Baker my personal favourite performance in it, but of course Brian Blessed, John Hurt and some others also awesome.

Still not as quite as good as Edge of Darkness with Bob Peck and Joe Don Baker though. Surely the BBC should show that again (let's face it they repeat everything else.)

I, Claudius....?

More like "I, don't even know where to start raving about that awesome piece of TV". George Baker my personal favourite performance in it, but of course Brian Blessed, John Hurt and some others also awesome.

Still not as quite as good as Edge of Darkness with Bob Peck and Joe Don Baker though. Surely the BBC should show that again (let's face it they repeat everything else.)

Quite agree. That was one seriously good drama!

Not sure if it was "better" than I Claudius, I think they were both brilliant in their own way.

Jacobi was masterful but, probably, Hurt was the winner, fucking brilliant.

Watching it all over again made me realise just how somebody quite plain and unassuming like Patricia Quinn could turn into the sexiest thing ever.

It wasnt just Magenta that gave me the "fuckin 'orn.."

Didn't even recognise her without the wild hair like she had in Rocky Horror, didn't realise she was in it until I saw her name on the credits, haha...

I, Claudius....?

They are; Monday nights, 10pm (so we've already missed ep. 1. No iPlayer catchups available either, bastards!)

I, Claudius....?

They are; Monday nights, 10pm (so we've already missed ep. 1. No iPlayer catchups available either, bastards!)

That's alright, I've got it on DVD...

I, Claudius....?

That's alright, I've got it on DVD...

so have I. Your recommendation I believe.

Edge of Darkness was written by Troy Kennedy Martin. The project he did before for the Beeb was his 1983 adaptation of Angus Wilson's dystopian black comedy 'The Old Men at the Zoo'. Now that's what I want to see repeated...

Edge of Darkness was written by Troy Kennedy Martin. The project he did before for the Beeb was his 1983 adaptation of Angus Wilson's dystopian black comedy 'The Old Men at the Zoo'. Now that's what I want to see repeated...

The BBC have a whole load of these really classy dramas I think they should launch a channel that just shows really exquisite drama all evening as an antidote to ITV channels 2-5.

I recently watched Gormanghast - fantastic.

Day of the Triffids, Neverwhere, Edward VIII, Persuasion..............

You could even include some more leftfield ones - Dead Head

• Like 1

I did enjoy the recent BBC4 Kate Bush Documentry

From a deathlist perspective I have listed the various talking heads in order of decrepitude

• Lindsay Kemp
  • Dave Gilmour
  • Elton John
  • Nigel Kennedy
  • Jo Brand
  • John Lydon
  • Tricky
  • Neil Gaiman
  • Stephen Fry
  • Tori Amos
  • Peter Gabriel
  • Del Palmer
  • Brett Anderson
  • Steve Coogan

Of course what was missing was interviews with Kate herself but very entertaining.

Recorded a while ago but found the 1979 Story Of TOTP interesting. There was dear old Chas Hodges chatting away, and Linda Nolan looking dirty healthy.

Given it has been 40 years, from recollection not many fallers from the Top 30.

And yes next year it will have been 40 years since 1980. Gaaaaaaawwwwd!!!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Recorded a while ago but found the 1979 Story Of TOTP interesting. There was dear old Chas Hodges chatting away, and Linda Nolan looking dirty healthy.

Given it has been 40 years, from recollection not many fallers from the Top 30.

And yes next year it will have been 40 years since 1980. Gaaaaaaawwwwd!!!!!

But you're still YOUNGWillz, right?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

But you're still YOUNGWillz, right?

Not now my dad's dead, thanks for the reminder.

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not now my dad's dead, thanks for the reminder.

Hmm

The son of the guy that ran the garage near where I grew up has always been "Young" - despite the fact he's in his seventies and his dad - who had the same name - has been gone for about 30 years